Champion's Gravetender & Gravetender Greatwolf Information
- Painted World of Ariandel: Cut the rope bridge that leads to the cathedral with Sister Friede and take the bridge/ladder down to the bottom, similar to how you descend from the Catacombs of Carthus to Smouldering Lake. At one end of the frozen ground is an open area with flowers you can drop down to. Approach the ruins to trigger the boss fight.
- Souls: NG (60,000), NG+ (120,000), NG++ (132,000), NG+3 (135,000), NG+4 (144,000), NG+5 (147,000), NG+6 (150,000), NG+7 (153,000)
- Co-Op Souls: NG (30,000)
- Other: Valorheart
- Champion's Bones: Key item to access the Undead Match at Hollow Arena
- Gravetender Health: NG (2791), NG+ (2794), NG++ (3074), NG+3 (3213), NG+4 (3353), NG+5 (3632), NG+6 (3772), NG+7 (3912)
- Greatwolf Health: NG (4193), NG+ (4197), NG++ (4617), NG+3 (4827), NG+4 (5037), NG+5 (5457), NG+6 (5666), NG+7 (5876)
- Gravetender attacks are Parriable.
- Try to eliminate gravetender before greatwolf arrives - fight will be much simpler.
- Weak to bleed - 3/4 hits deals extra burst damage.
- Greatwolf takes huge amount of critical damage, if you can stagger and visceral attack him.
- Champions shield can be guard broken, what allows to perform a visceral attack.
- No NPC summon available for this fight.
- Summoned player phantoms cannot enter the boss area until the boss fight is triggered.
- Both Gravetender and Greatwolf are highly resistant to frost - you need to hit them at least 7-8 times (Vordt's Great Hammer +2) to deal burst damage.
Only Youtube Partners can place videos. Embeds from FL channel only - please add your link below if you're a partner
Strategy 1 (Melee)This boss is an NPC sized character that wields Valorheart. In the first phase, he will be accompanied by a pack of small wolves. He can taken on fairly straight up, once the pesky wolves have been dispatched, his health bar gets depleted rather quickly. Be mindful of his weapon's guardbreaking and combo moveset, and try not to over rely on you shield. Dodge effectively, reading his patterns and attack when he presents an opening.
When he reaches a lower health bar (about 1/2), his partner, Gravetender Greatwolf will arrive, who is a much larger wolf with a deadly moveset. The wolf is fast and has a powerful forward rush that will launch you into the air with devastating damage, and using the central pillar is helpful in staying clear of its attacks. It can also breath frost that will affect you even if you are using the central pillar for cover. The key to handle the wolf is to stay to its side, avoiding its slash attacks, and recognizing when it is charging up it's dash attack, giving you time to effectively dodge to the side of it. Try to take out the Champions Gravetender first and it will make the fight with his partner much easier.
Strategy 2 (Melee, Bleed build, Solo)
After entering area with that fight use Carthus Rouge at sword and approach high building. When Gravetender rises, go back a little, as he will walk slowly, what can be used to eliminate 3 nearby wolfs (with them fight is much harder). When Gravetender will be left alone, re-use Carthus Rouge and attack him in moment, in which he can be harmed with ease, f.e. after his rush attack. When his health is lowered to about 1/3, he uses (not always thought) "By my sword" gesture, and Greatwolf will appear on the battlefield (on the middle of the arena). Do not hesitate to eliminate wounded Gravetender and re-use Carthus Rouge. After doing so - lock on Greawolf (let you avoid his rush attacks more easily) and stick to him. During activating second phase (red eye and "roar") you can still attack him - bleed damage will kill him easily.
Strategy 3 (Pyromancy, Solo)
Spell: Chaos Bed Vestige with Pyromancy Hand +10. In addition Chaos Battle Axe.
Rings: Boosting Fire Damage + Dusk Crown Ring
Set: Fire Keeper
Slowly approach place with Gravetender and 3 wolfs and back up a little, then cast CBV few times to eliminate them (they are vulnerable to fire, so even non-direct hit will cause massive damage). Gravetender alone is an easy target, but his rush can deal a lot of damage (spells can't broke this attack) and he can avoid them. If Greatwolf approach, do not look on him and eliminate wounded Gravetender. Greatwolf is vulnerable to fire - CBV can easily deal even 600-700 damage per hit, but be careful to his attacks, as most of them can be fatal. However, HP base (especially if you won 2 encounteres with him and regular wolfs) is low, so few CBV will kill him without any problem.
|Valorheart Special Attack - Sword||Gravetender uses Valorheart weapon art - swift sword attack. Can be avoided with ease.|
|Rush Attack||If player is at medium distance from Gravetender starts to run, what could end with swift and dealing medium damage attack. Can be avoided or blocked, but not broken.|
|Block||Gravetender uses his shield to block player attack. Especially With Hornet Ring and Knight Slayer's ring it is a perfect ocasion to break up block and perform visceral attack.|
|Valorheart Special Attack - Shield||If Gravetender is blocking, he can perform a roar attack with his shield. Doesn't deal much damage, but breaks player attack or block.|
|Visceral Attack||If player is stunned, gravetender approaches and perform visceral attack. Depending o distance can be avoided or not.|
|Magic attack||If Greatwolf appears, gravetender sometimes switch to staff and cast Homing Arrow.|
|Rush||Greatwold rushes 1/2/3 times, dealing high psychical damage. Attack is telegraphed by white snow appearing around Greatwolf, thought it can be avoided (especially near Champion Grave). If player uses Greatshield can be blocked (needs testing, is it worth to).|
|Ground Head Rush Attack||Greatwolf lower his head, then swiftly rush towards player causing massive psychical damage. Attack is telegraphed, so therefore can be avoided.|
|Head sweep||Greatwolf sweep his head 2/3 times, causing physical damage.|
|Swift rush + Frozen breath||Greatwolf rushes throught the arena 2 times, then stop and breath in player's direction causes massive frost damage. Can be avoided, and if player is in lucky spot, gives an opportunity to strike wolf few times. Note: Active, if Greatwolf is in "fury" mode - indicated by red eyes.|
Lore TheoriesIt should be noted that the Champion's Gravetender was likely the Champion's page referenced in the description of Valorheart. He and the Gravetender Greatwolf are both referenced to have been extremely loyal to the Champion, so we can assume they are watching over the Champion's grave.
Notes & Trivia
- Wolf, which appears during fight can be encountered twice - at entrance to place with tower with Milkwood Knights and near this tower. If you kill Greatwolf without winning those encounters, you lost chance to obtain loot (Large Titanite Shard x4).
- In addition, if player win those fights, Greatwolf HP during boss battle will be lower than usual (effect doesn't reset, if you fail to beat Gravetender & Greatwolf on first attempt).
- Gravetender, in order to call Greatwolf, uses gesture "By my sword".
- Rarely, if you kill Gravetender before Greatwolf appear, you will be left alone and forced to restart battle.
| Abyss Watchers | | Aldrich, Devourer of Gods | | Aldritch, Devourer of Gods | | Ancient Wyvern | | Champion Gundyr | | Crimson Bat & The Demon from Below | | Crystal Sage | | Curse-Rotted Greatwood | | Curse-Rotten Greatwood | | Dancer of the Boreal Valley | | Deacons of the Deep | | Dragonslayer Armour | | High Lord Wolnir | | Lothric, Younger Prince | | Morne's Greathammer | | Nameless King | | Oceiros, the Consumed King | | Old Demon King | | Pontiff Sulyvahn | | Saint Aldrich of the Deep | | Sister Friede | | Stray Demon | | The Demon Prince | | Vordt of the Boreal Valley | | Yhorm the Giant | | Young Prince Lothric |