Champion's Gravetender & Gravetender Greatwolf Information
- No NPC summon available for this fight.
- As long as fight is not triggered, player phantom can't enter the boss fight arena.
- Painted World of Ariandel: Cut the rope bridge that leads to the cathedral with Sister Friede and take the bridge/ladder down to the bottom, similar to how you descend from the Catacombs of Carthus to Smouldering Lake. At one end of the frozen ground is an open area with flowers you can drop down to. Approach the ruins to trigger the boss fight.
- Souls: NG (60,000), NG+ (120,000), NG++ (132,000), NG+3 (135,000), NG+4 (144,000), NG+5 (147,000), NG+6 (150,000), NG+7 (153,000)
- Co-Op Souls: NG (30,000)
- Other: Valorheart
- Champion's Bones: Key item to access the Undead Match at Hollow Arena
Combat Information - Gravetender
- Health: NG (2791), NG+ (2794), NG++ (3074), NG+3 (3213), NG+4 (3353), NG+5 (3632), NG+6 (3772), NG+7 (3912)
- Attacks deals physical or magic damage. Rarely, may cause Frostbite.
- Parryable: Yes
- Weak to Lightning damage and Bleed.
- Resistant to Frost and Poison/Toxic.
- Shield can be guard broken, what gives an opportunity to perform a critical strike. Also can be backstabbed.
- Champion can be easily be staggered.
- If the Greatwolf howls while the Gravetender is still alive, the Gravetender will get buffed, indicated by the Warcry's red aura.
Combat Information - Greatwolf
- Health: NG (4193), NG+ (4197), NG++ (4617), NG+3 (4827), NG+4 (5037), NG+5 (5457), NG+6 (5666), NG+7 (5876)
- Appears, when Gravetender's health is lowered by 70 percent.
- Attacks deals physical damage. May cause Frostbite.
- Parryable: No
- Weak to Lightning, Fire and Bleed.
- Resistant to Frost.
- Player can break his poise, what gives an opportunity to perform a critical strike dealing significant damage.
Only Youtube Partners can place videos. Embeds from FL channel only - please add your link below if you're a partner
Strategy 1 (Melee)This boss is an NPC sized character that wields Valorheart. In the first phase, he will be accompanied by a pack of small wolves. He can taken on fairly straight up, once the pesky wolves have been dispatched, his health bar gets depleted rather quickly. Be mindful of his weapon's guardbreaking and combo moveset, and try not to over rely on you shield. Dodge effectively, reading his patterns and attack when he presents an opening.
When he reaches a lower health bar (about 1/2), his partner, Gravetender Greatwolf will arrive, who is a much larger wolf with a deadly moveset. The wolf is fast and has a powerful forward rush that will launch you into the air with devastating damage, and using the central pillar is helpful in staying clear of its attacks. It can also breath frost that will affect you even if you are using the central pillar for cover. The key to handle the wolf is to stay to its side, avoiding its slash attacks, and recognizing when it is charging up it's dash attack, giving you time to effectively dodge to the side of it. Try to take out the Champions Gravetender first and it will make the fight with his partner much easier.
Strategy 2 (Melee, Bleed build, Solo)
After entering area with that fight use Carthus Rouge at sword and approach high building. When Gravetender rises, go back a little, as he will walk slowly, what can be used to eliminate 3 nearby wolfs (with them fight is much harder). When Gravetender will be left alone, re-use Carthus Rouge and attack him in moment, in which he can be harmed with ease, f.e. after his rush attack. When his health is lowered to about 1/3, he uses (not always thought) "By my sword" gesture, and Greatwolf will appear on the battlefield (on the middle of the arena). Do not hesitate to eliminate wounded Gravetender and re-use Carthus Rouge. After doing so - lock on Greawolf (let you avoid his rush attacks more easily) and stick to him. During activating second phase (red eye and "roar") you can still attack him - bleed damage will kill him easily.
Strategy 3 (Pyromancy, Solo)
Spell: Chaos Bed Vestige with Pyromancy Hand +10. In addition Chaos Battle Axe.
Rings: Boosting Fire Damage + Dusk Crown Ring
Set: Fire Keeper
Slowly approach place with Gravetender and 3 wolfs and back up a little, then cast CBV few times to eliminate them (they are vulnerable to fire, so even non-direct hit will cause massive damage). Gravetender alone is an easy target, but his rush can deal a lot of damage (spells can't broke this attack) and he can avoid them. If Greatwolf approach, do not look on him and eliminate wounded Gravetender. Greatwolf is vulnerable to fire - CBV can easily deal even 600-700 damage per hit, but be careful to his attacks, as most of them can be fatal. However, HP base (especially if you won 2 encounteres with him and regular wolfs) is low, so few CBV will kill him without any problem.
|Valorheart Special Attack - Sword||Gravetender uses Valorheart weapon art - swift sword attack. Can be avoided with ease.|
|Rush Attack||If player is at medium distance from Gravetender starts to run, what may end with swift and dealing medium damage attack. Can be avoided or blocked, but not broken.|
|Block||Gravetender uses his shield to block player attack.|
|Valorheart Special Attack - Shield||If Gravetender is blocking, he can perform a roar attack with his shield. Doesn't deal much damage, but drains a lot of stamina.|
|Critical Strike||If player is stunned, gravetender approaches and perform a critical strike.|
|Magic attack||After Greatwolf appears, Gravetender sometimes switch to staff and casts either Homing Arrow or Snap Freeze.|
|Rush||Greatwold rushes 1/2/3 times, dealing high psychical damage. Attack is telegraphed by white snow appearing around Greatwolf, thought it can be avoided. Can be blocked.|
|Ground Head Rush Attack||Greatwolf lower his head, then swiftly rush towards player causing massive physical damage. d.|
|Head sweep||Greatwolf sweep his head 2/3 times, causing physical damage.|
|Swift rush + Frozen breath (second phase)||Greatwolf rushes throught the arena 2 times, then stop and breath in player's direction causes massive frost damage.|
Lore TheoriesIt should be noted that the Champion's Gravetender was likely the Champion's page referenced in the description of Valorheart. He and the Gravetender Greatwolf are both referenced to have been extremely loyal to the Champion, so we can assume they are watching over the Champion's grave.
Notes & Trivia
- Greatwolf, which appears during fight can be encountered twice - at entrance to place with tower with Millwood Knights and near this tower. If you kill Greatwolf without winning those encounters, you lost chance to obtain loot (Large Titanite Shard x3 for one victory). During these encounters, he uses moveset from boss battle and is supported by a pack of wolfs.
- In addition, if player win those fights, Greatwolf HP during boss battle will be lower by around 15%. It is a permanent effect.
- Gravetender, in order to call Greatwolf, may use gesture "By my sword".
- Few of Greatwolf abilities mirror Vordt of the Boreal Valley.
- Bug (Co-op, PC, Very rare) - After inflicting blood loss on Gravetender his healthbar goes wild, what makes him invincible for a few minutes.
| Abyss Watchers | | Aldrich, Devourer of Gods | | Ancient Wyvern | | Champion Gundyr | | Crystal Sage | | Curse-Rotted Greatwood | | Dancer of the Boreal Valley | | Darkeater Midir | | Deacons of the Deep | | Demon in Pain & Demon From Below | | Demon Prince | | Dragonslayer Armour | | Halflight, Spear of the Church | | High Lord Wolnir | | Lothric, Younger Prince | | Nameless King | | Oceiros, the Consumed King | | Old Demon King | | Pontiff Sulyvahn | | Sister Friede | | Stray Demon | | Vordt of the Boreal Valley | | Yhorm the Giant |