Champion Gundyr Information
Champion Gundyr is a boss enemy in Dark Souls 3.
- You can summon Sword Master to help you fight this enemy. (Must have defeated Sword Master NPC outisde of Firelink Shrine). Summon sign can be found just in front of his boss fog.
- This boss is not an optional fight, if player wants to see "The End of Fire" ending. In case of any other ending, he is optional.
- Souls: NG (45,000), NG+ (90,000), NG++ (99,000), NG+3 (135,000), NG+6 (??), NG+9 (??)
- Co-Op Souls: NG (15,000)
- Soul of Champion Gundyr
- After defeating him, his armor set can be bought from Shrine Handmaid for 36,000 souls.
- Health: NG (4956), NG+ (6265), NG++ (6891), NG+3 (7204), NG+4 (7518), NG+5 (8144), NG+6 (8457), NG+7 (8771)
- While entering the boss fight, he kneels at the center of the boss fight arena. Approaching him will trigger the fight.
- Deals standard damage.
- Parryable: Yes
- Weak to Strike, Lightning and Frost.
- Resistant to Slash, Poison, Toxic and Bleed.
- Will stop any combo and go for the charge attack if the player heals.
Only Youtube Partners can place videos. Embeds from FL channel only - please add your link below if you're a partner
- Five different ways to parry this boss (SL 66, Small Leather Shield, No dmg taken)
- Deprived Champion Gundyr (Vigor/Luck Build) Melee strategy consist of dodging his attacks and getting a few attacks in before repeating.
How to parry (with small shield)
- Jump and slice move. Keep your eye on his legs. When he is at the top of his jump or just about to start deciding hit the parry button.
- Two pokes and a smash. Avoid or tank the pokes and when he smashes hit the parry button as soon as the weapon starts to come down from above his head.
- Slowly starting swipes. Two versions. One starts little lower and other little higher. He moves his halberd to his left side (your right) and the tip of the blade is in his right side (your left). Keep your eyes on the blade part and as soon as the swipe starts hit the parry button. It is easy to parry too soon.
- Phase two charge+swipe. Usually the first move he does after he buffs. Stay so far that you avoid the tip of his weapon when he charges straight at you, and when he starts to twist his body for the swipe hit the parry button.
Strategy 1 (Melee)
One of the most efficient ways of dealing with him is by parrying. His moveset is similar to Gwyn's, in a sense, as it seems he has an endless flurry of rapid attacks, leaving barely any time to attack. The easiest attack to parry is his forward jab-like attack, which can be baited out by standing about the length of his weapon away from him. He is stunned for a long time after a parry, you can usually hit him once, then riposte, then hit him again before rolling away. Another useful strategy for the first phase is to keep a lot of distance between him and bait his long jump attack, which is easy to roll attack into.When he buffs, any other attack besides his jab becomes extremely difficult to parry. Attacking only once per opening and dodging precisely should work well for the remainder of the fight.
Strategy 2 (Rapier)
This strategy is good for most melee builds, though strength builds may have more trouble pulling this off as it's easier with high Dexterity. You will need a rapier enchanted with frost (Irythill Rapier is good for this) to lower his stamina, and a 100% shield is highly recommended. The rapier has rather fast attacks and wearing him down with frost will lower his ability to counterattack. When he is in the first phase, roll into him and attack his back, watching his feet as he finishes his attacks. If he lifts any of his legs, there's a good chance he will kick (which has extremely unforgiving tracking), so roll again or tank with shield. You could sneak in two hits if he has one of the longer windup attacks (such as his large smash or his two-slash). If you're lucky, he'll fall to his knees in the first phase and you'll be able to attack freely. Once he enters his second phase, you have to roll in a more calculated fashion; he's going to string more attacks as you dodge, but there should be good windows to sneak in one hit.
Note: be careful of the shoulder smash; This attack is easily the worst thing to be hit by, has very little warning (Gundyr bends his arm and braces his shoulders just a bit), and can lead to a combination of knockups and stuns. In the second phase, it's strongly recommended not to try for two attacks, because he can shoulder smash or punch MUCH faster than before. When needing to heal, back away and wait out his stamina, for he doesn't have very strict movesets in this phase. Continue stringing attacks as consecutively as possible, in order to stack up the frost, and he should fall to his knees again, allowing for free attacks. Played patiently, this strategy should net a fast, low estus run.
Strategy 3 (Magic)
Lightning/Sunlight spears can do considerable damage to Gundyr, however due to his aggressive nature it can be very difficult to get a cast in without taking damage, especially after he buffs himself in the second phase and becomes much more aggressive. However, using a talisman with unfaltering prayer can be a big help if you can tank some damage to get a cast off.
Trying to get distance to be able to cast is generally pointless, as Gundyr will not only easily close the distance with a single leap or charge, but may also avoid your projectiles while doing so. It is therefore recommended to stay in close or medium range and work only with fast spells such as Great Soul Arrow or even Great Farron Dart.
Strategy 4 (Pyromancy)
First phase treat the boss as you would any other melee boss staying away and lobbing spells whenever he does a heavy recovery move such as his overhead or his side swipe. What makes this boss difficult in his 2nd phase is the inherent mage mentality to stay away from the boss which results in you trying to endure his onslaught of attacks (which most mages cant) or the desire to roll back to avoid his attacks, instead focus on staying somewhat close and rolling behind him forcing him to turn around and interrupt his attack string. By doing this you will constantly slow his momentum and often result in him doing single string attacks or his turn around stomp which is easily telegraphed. Use chaos bed vestiges as his large hitbox is an easy target and it does large amounts of damage at 30/30 faith/int.
Strategy 5 (Sword Master Exploit)
There's a glitch for this fight (May 6th, app1.04 reg1.05) that you can do like Dancer very easily.
Summon the Sword Master (You need to kill him at Firelink before). As soon as the NPC dies, save & quit via the Start Menu. Reload your game and summon the NPC again and go in the boss room.
Sword Master will now take very minor damage and will dodge due to a hitbox bug. Just let him take the aggro and wait for the boss being bled to death. See Dancer for original Glitch.
|First Phase (Champion behaves as Iudex Gundyr)|
|Attack Name||Attack Description|
|Slash into Large Slam||Winds up spin, holds halberd behind, then smashes, lifting quickly, throwing rocks and knocking up|
|Stab into Smash||Stabs, winds up smash, smashes ground|
|Smash into Slash||Smashes ground, winds up slash, slashes|
|Double Slash||Spin attack, twice|
|Double Stab into Smash||Stab attack, twice; holds|
|Double Slam||Slow smash attack, twice|
|Gundyr Grab||Opens his palm, grabbing anyone in reach. Follows into being stabbed through his halberd and thrown a large distance.|
|Jumping Smash||Hops a short distance, stabbing the ground|
|Sidekick||Executes kick in direcion of player (Must be to his side or behind)|
|Second Phase (Champion's eyes glow red)|
|Attack Name||Attack Description|
|Charge (x3) into slash||Charges, dealing three ticks, into fast slash|
|Double Slash into Slam||Two fast slashes, into a charging smash|
|Sprint Slam||Sprints, jumps and smashes the ground|
|Stab, Punch, Slice Stab||Stabs, punches with left hand into a fast upwards slice, wind-up stab|
|Punch, Lifting upwards slice, Shoulder Smash||Punches with left, upwards slice (which can knock-up), into fast shoulder smash|
Note: Typically, the attacks in his first phase are pairs, whereas the combos in the second are trios.
- Iudex Gundyr, who was corrupted by the Abyss, spends an eternity testing new unkindled heroes if they are worthy of fulfilling the phrophecy of rekindling the First Flame. He was once an unkindled himself, but had risen too late to fulfill his duty. The Flame had already been extinguished and the bells failed to ring, starting a new Dark Age. As the Ashen One travels through the illusory door, they go straight to that very same Dark Age to face Champion Gundyr at his prime. This is where they defeat him as an unknown warrior which seals his fate. A prisoner with an unbreakable halberd hoping that one day an unkindled will rise and relink the flame once more.
- The reason Iudex Gundyr does not drop his Soul might be the result of the Untended Grave being the past, thus when you kill Iudex Gundyr you already obtained his soul in the Champion Gundyr fight. From a gameplay perspective this is probably to not allow players to obtain both items transposable from his soul in a single playthrough.
- Item transcripts that relate to this boss
- Soul of the Champion Gundyr:
- Once, a Champion came late to the festivities and was greeted by a shrine without a fire, and a bell that would not toll.
- Soul of the Champion Gundyr:
Notes & Trivia
- If you die to this boss you can acquire your lost souls in the area where you fought Iudex Gundyr. Possible explanation: Untended Graves and Cemetary of Ash occupy the same space in the game's map.
- His set bears extreme resemblance to armor used by Old King Doran from Demon's Souls. Gundyr's helm also states this it was modeled after a former king.
- His shoulder tackle and drop kick attacks are similar to the ones used by Father Gascoigne from Bloodborne in the third phase of that boss fight.
- Bug (very rare): If phantom got stuck in remain of coffin, there is a chance that Gundyr will try to hit him. During this attempt he may "climb" on the top of the coffin, what will result in his death, as coffin's upper part is a non-collison object.