|Weakness||Thrust, Giant Avelyn, Magic|
Carthus Sandworm is an Enemy in Dark Souls 3.
Should be merged with Giant Sandworm
- A visually impressive mini-boss that guards the entrance to the Old Demon King.
- Erupts from the ground if you turn left upon entering the Smouldering Lake.
- Will damage you if you stand too close to its moving body, or if you get caught by its lightning breath.
- It is advised to NOT shut down the Giant Avelyn before starting the fight.
- You can easily bait the Avelyn to shoot Sandworm from a safe area behind any rock killing it with ease. Video Example
- The Sandworm is unable to attack if you stay on the solid rock behind it.
- It is advised to snipe at the worm with a bow of choice.
- There are openings in its attack patterns for melee attacks. The worm has to stop moving or you'll be knocked back.
- Can not be lured.
- Can be Rapported?
- If the Avelyn is taken out the Sandworm is easily baited into melee, just wait for it to use its lightning attack and run up to hit it until it starts to move again and back away. Repeat as necessary.
Notes & Trivia
- Drops Lightning Stake and Undead Bone Shard
- Souls: NG (6,000). NG+ (18,000) NG++ (19,801) NG+5 (22,501)
- The description on Lightning Stake and the nature of the worm suggest that it is not a dragon or demon, but a transformed dragonslayer. However, there is a theory suggesting that it is transformed Solaire of Astore, a character from Dark Souls I.
- Is the same Worm that is mentioned in the description of the Yellow Bug Pellet.
- Also might be a reference to the Shai-Hulud (or Shaitan later in the books) which are giant sandworms from the Dune saga writen by Frank Herbert.