Lothric, Younger Prince Information
Lothric, Younger Prince is a Lord of Cinder and boss enemy in Dark Souls 3. He is a purely magical boss and is a force to be reckoned with while he's accompanied by his brother and partner boss Lorian, Elder Prince. While his magic makes for a challenging fight when synergized with his brother, he has only three attacks and is vulnerable alone.
- You can summon Sirris of the Sunless Realms to help you fight this enemy. Summon can be found just in front of the fog door on the left. Take care not to let her take the brunt of the aggression as she can only heal herself three to five times during the fight and can easily be killed before the second phase actually begins, leaving you to solo the hardest part of the fight.
- You can summon Orbeck of Vinheim to help you fight this enemy. You must have given him all 4 Scrolls and have bought all the sorceries that he sells. Summon sign can be found to the left, at the top of the stairs before the double doors to the fog door
- This boss is not an optional boss fight.
- The top of Lothric Castle.
- Souls: NG (85000), NG+ (125,000), NG++ (187000), NG+3 (191,250), NG+4 (204,000, NG+6 (??), NG+9 (216,750)
- Souls for Cooperator: NG (21250)
- Cinders of a Lord
- Soul of the Twin Princes
- Health Information
- Lorian (phase 1): NG (4294), NG+ (4328), NG++ (4761), NG+3 (4978), NG+4 (5194), NG+5 (5627), NG+6 (5843), NG+7 (6060)
- Lorian (phase 2): NG (3436), NG+ (3463), NG++ (3810), NG+3 (3938), NG+4 (4156), NG+5 (4503), NG+6 (4676), NG+7 (4849)
- Lothric (phase 2): NG (5799), NG+ (5845), NG++ (6430), NG+3 (6722), NG+4 (7014), NG+5 (7599), NG+6 (7891), NG+7 (8183)
- Lorian is weak to Frost and Lightning.
- Lothric is weak to Physical.
- In the second phase, you can hit Lothric while on his brothers back, weakening him before Lorian goes down. You have to stand exactly behind Lorian to do this, as with most weapons you will only hit Lothrics feet. Weapons, such as the Estoc, that use fencing thrusts improve the angle behind Lorian that allow Lothric to be hit. If Lothric is weak enough he can be killed while reviving his brother, shortening the fight quite a bit. Alternatively, Lothric can be killed while still on his brothers back through use of the above noted strategy for striking him. When Lothric dies, the battle ends regardless of Lorian's remaining health.
- While cooperating, if the targeted player keeps baiting Lorian the partner can easily aim for Lothric, eliminating the revival sequence all together. Though several players can rush Lothric easily in one revival sequence it is questionable to do so instead of focusing down Lorian.
- Lorian can be parried but it will NOT provide a chance to riposte. It only stuns him for a while. He takes counter damage during the stun animation but still, parrying is not worth the risk.
- Parrying is very difficult and there is a catch. The sword is not parryable. His arm actually has no hit box that you can hit to deal damage. Game kind of thinks the arm is a weapon like his sword. The arm holding the sword is parryable and player must be very close to Lorian to get a succesful parry from the hand but avoid the sword. There is a chance player makes a perfect parry but is standing little too far and gets damaged by the sword part without losing any stamina like usually when getting a partial parry.
- Lorian's long range light smash swordattack can be spell parried but the distance and timing has to be perfect. Extremely difficult to pull off.
Only Youtube Partners can place videos. Embeds from FL channel only - please add your link below if you're a partner
- Irithyll Rapier (frost), Pontiff's Right Eye Ring + Carthus Beacon, SL 66
- Deprived Twin Princes (Vigor/Luck)
Strategy 1 (Melee)
Phase 1: This phase doesn't actually involve Lothric, but is still relevant due to it being part of the fight and a prerequisite in order to even fight Lothric. It's a pretty easy fight during the first phase as his attacks leave big windows. Move towards him, bait his combo which is most often a double horizontal slash and then roll backwards out of harms way, moving back in at the end of the combo to capitalize on the window. Be cautious because some of his combos, like the double horizontal slash, will sometimes be followed up with a vertical slash and there seems to be no way to tell which combo it will be aside from waiting and watching. Although a sure fire window is after the holy flame beam attack and after the flame wave attack, those never have immediate follow-ups so if you really want to play it safe only attack then, but often it will be pretty easy to attack him during other combos, just risky. Try to not get hit at all to conserve all estus the second phase.
Phase 2: This is phase 2 of the boss fight, but the first phase involving Lothric. Now Lothric is on his back. Lothric will do 4 things. He will cast multiple tiny homing magic projectiles into the air which will float until locating you and then beam towards you. When that spell is cast, just roll through them. When you see them cast, distance yourself from Lorian to allow yourself to only focus on dodging that sorcery. Move in for attacks on Lorian during his windows after combos and while Lothric is inactive (he has a lot of down-time during the fight; he's not constantly casting). Be careful of one combo that Lothric and Lorian will often do. Almost right after Lorian performs his holy fire beam attack, Lothric will fire off a homing spear sorcery, so now just be sure to be ready to dodge right after Lorian slams his sword down. But when you do get Lorian's health all the way down, move in and barrage Lothric with attacks for only 2-3 seconds and then run away for he's casting a healing miracle which doubles as an AOE blast (think Wrath of Gods) on Lorian which will revive him with about half his health regained. The fight will just continue as normal and the next time Lorian goes down odds are Lothric is dead, very close so it will be the last time he goes down.
Strategy 2 (Magic)
This boss is just plain harsh on pureblood casters. If you get hit without a block, you will generally die. Lots of patience and learning te patterns will be key here. Phase 1 isn't too horrible, but is still not fun. Lorian will teleport on top of you, requireing either a block or good dodge frequently. Try to block the first shot (shield with physical and max fire resist), then dodge the following attack(s). No fancy spells for this, it seems just Great Heavy Soul Arrow will be your bread and butter here. If you can get far enough from Lorian down the hall, he will just crawl on his knees towards you, giveing time for 3-5 blasts before he teleports you and you have to reset him.
Phase 2: If you thought phase 1 was bad, you're going to love this. Lothric will climb on Lorian's back, and cast spells from there. Hopefully you got good at dodging after the first block in phase 1, because failing to do so in phase 2 will almost guarentee death. Lorian will have the same attacks, with Lothric casts versions of homing soulmass and soul spear. Lothric will not be constantly casting, however. Try to get away from them like you did in phase 1 so Lorian has to crawl towards you. Wait for lorian to cast, then get a few casts in yourself. When you dps Lorian down, Lothric will get off and res him. You want to shoot him as much as possible, which sucks, because he takes about half the magic damage that his brother does. If you can ready a crystal-enchanted weapon it would probably be a much better option against lorian. However, time window constraints from how very little Lorian is available to be hit makes this strategy unlikely.
Strategy 3 (Pyromancy)
This boss can be somewhat tricky for pyromancers. The first phase won't give you much trouble. Powerful fire spells such as Chaos Bed Remnants does considerable damage to Lorian. Simply be prepared to dodge his attacks when he teleports, and evade the smash. If you keep your distance, Lorian will often simply crawl at you, giving you time to free cast spells.
During Phase II, things will get somewhat harder. Lorian will become more aggressive, and Lothric will cast spells at you, making getting casts off risky. Hitting Lothric while Lorian is still alive is very difficult, since the cast times of most pyromancies are so long that any window of opportunity you get will close before you get the cast off. Killing Lorian again and taking the chance to deal damage to Lothric during this time works fine, and two Lorian kills during Phase II should be enough to kill Lothric.
Strategy 4 (Irithyll Rapier/Straightsword+Pontiff's Eye Ring)
Lorian is weak to frostbite. The Irithyll Rapier causes frost damage and it is a fast dps weapon. The Irithyll Straightsword is also a viable option. Combine that with Pontiff's Right Eye ring (dmg boost as long as attacking persists) and Carthus Beacon pyromancy (Damage increases with consecutive attacks) and you will have very fast damage dealing potential. That is, if you can dodge boss' attacks and stay aggressive.
Try to stay near and behind the boss at all times. Butt hugging makes him circling around too instead of spamming attacks so it gives more openings, helps to avoid taking damage and makes stamina control little easier. Some of the boss' swings even miss you without dodging, if you stay close to him. It takes a lot of practise to get used to him teleporting around. Rule of thumb for first timers is that if he teleports near you, dodge soon or immediately, but if he teleports little further away from you, wait and do not dodge immediately. With training you will learn his moveset and begin to predict what move is coming.
Strategy 5 (Melee with Black Knight Shield)
This strategy is fairly simple. Use a Black Knight Shield and circle strafe around Lorian to the right. After he swings, hit him a single time and continue circling. The Black Knight Shield's high fire absorption and stability will make his attacks almost meaningless and a few will probably miss altogether. The only threats using this strategy are the magic attacks from Lothric and the Light Beam attack Lorian sometimes does after teleporting.
|Magic Homing Arrow||Fires a golden sorcery, similar to soul spear. Slight tracking and noticable charge time.|
|Magic Homing Projectiles||Casts multiple tiny magic projectiles floating into the air, similar to homing soulmass. The difference is that it is a far greater amount, does not follow the caster around, and is golden with smaller projectiles. After casting they will float in the air for a while and then shoot off towards the player.|
|Revival||When Lorian, Elder Prince dies he will begin to cast a miracle that does both substantial AOE damage and revives Lorian with approximately half of his health.|
- Lothric Castle shares Lothric's name, but Lothric is a family name and not unique to this one Prince (as evidenced by the Divine Blessing description). Indeed, it seems that Lothric Castle was not named for the prince but for the bloodline.
- Lorian's Armor Set description notes that Lorian was left mute and crippled by the curse of his younger brother, Lothric, with whom he shares their soul.
- Prayer Set description notes that Lothric was destined to become a Lord of Cinder, he was cherished by the royal family despite being born into illness, a frail and shriveled child.
- Lothric might be some kind of dragon-kin, and this may be due to the curse/illness he has. His fingers are long and claw-like. The pattern of Dragon-kin repeats with Oceiros.
- Lothric is the way he is (frail, malformed, but magically powerful) as a result of his bloodline's long history of obsession with creating "the perfect heir". When they failed to do so through conventional methods of conception and pure-breeding they resorted to more extreme means.
- When the time came for Lothric to assume his duty as a Lord of Cinder he refused. Instead, he left the castle with his brother and relocated to a faraway palace where they intended to enjoy watching the flame die out.
- Lorian appears to be crippled during the fight (crawling instead of walking) due to willingly sharing the "curse" of his brother and the burden of lordship.
- Lorian's teleportation and light sword abilities are actually the result of Lothric interfering with the fight by using his magic on his brother from atop his pedestal (and later, from over his brother's shoulders). The description of Lorian's and Lothric's transposed swords suggest this.
- Lorian's sword became black and permanently enchanted with fire after he had killed the "demon prince".
- The room is filled with white feather, suggesting a link to Gertrude and the worship of angels in Lothric.
- Before fight: Oh, dear, another dogged contender. Welcome, Unkindled One, purloiner of Cinders. Mind you, the mantle of Lord interests me none. The fire linking curse, the legacy of lords, let it all fade into nothing. You've done quite enough, now have your rest.
- Second phase: Oh, dear Brother… I’m on my way. My brother, unyielding sword of Lothric's Prince. Rise, if you would... For that is our curse.
- After victory: Mark my words, Ashen One... You remain among the Accursed.
- Dying: This spot marks our grave, but you may rest here too, if you would like...
Notes & Trivia
- When he climbs on his brother's back Lothric resembles the spirit of Gower's Ring of Protection (Dark Souls 2)
- Lothric is voiced by Harry Lister Smith, who also voiced Gwyndolin from Dark Souls 1.
- Cut data that can still be found in the game's files show Lothric & Lorian were possibly once going to wield a scythe and shield, respectively. "Scythe born from the soul of Lothric. Forged for Prince Lothric, this weapon's blade is slightly elongated and boasts beautiful craftmanship. It has a sharp edge contains a hard alloy, and can rip through anything like paper." - Lothric's Scythe
- If you quit the game immediately after killing Lothric but before receiving the cinder, Lorian can be found alive after reloading the game and you can still receive the cinder by re-entering the boss room. It is possible for Lorian to teleport to the outside of boss room.
| Abyss Watchers | | Aldrich, Devourer of Gods | | Ancient Wyvern | | Champion's Gravetender & Gravetender Greatwolf | | Champion Gundyr | | Crystal Sage | | Curse-Rotted Greatwood | | Dancer of the Boreal Valley | | Darkeater Midir | | Deacons of the Deep | | Demon in Pain & Demon From Below | | Demon Prince | | Dragonslayer Armour | | Halflight, Spear of the Church | | High Lord Wolnir | | Nameless King | | Oceiros, the Consumed King | | Old Demon King | | Pontiff Sulyvahn | | Sister Friede | | Stray Demon | | Vordt of the Boreal Valley | | Yhorm the Giant |