Poison is a status effect in Dark Souls 3.
- Once poison takes effect it will slowly eat away at your HP, one "tick" each second for 90 seconds, or until cured.
- Most forms of poison functions identically, having a 7 damage per second base value (PVP) and having a 3 damage per second base value (PVE), scaling upwards based on the target's maximum HP.
- Mitigation: Poisonbite Ring, Fleshbite Ring, Mossfruit, Deep Protection, Profuse Sweat, Vitality investment, Equipment with Poison resist
- Cured: Purple Moss Clump, Blooming Purple Moss Clump, Divine Blessing, Caressing Tears
- Rotten Ghru Dagger
- Rotten Ghru Curved Sword
- Rotten Ghru Spear
- Ghru Rotshield
- Arstor's Spear
- Spotted Whip
- Rotten Pine Resin
- Poison Throwing Knife
- Poison Arrow
- Poison Mist
- Poison Gem infusion
- Storyteller's Staff weapon art
- Poison shares resistance properties with Toxic, but once it procs Toxic will drain HP a lot quicker and for a longer time.
- The Storyteller's Staff poison is the unusual exception, with a scaling value so high that at some point it even outperforms Toxic by more than double.
- Luck appears to only speed up the application of poison, allowing you to poison an enemy with fewer hits. It appears to have no effect on poison damage, nor on poison duration.
- Weapons that have poison naturally on it can be imbued with Poison, or have a Poison Resin used on it, however this appears to only help apply the poison faster, and does not affect poison damage or duration.
- Tested on Pontiff Sulyvhan (regular NG), most poison effects did 13 damage per second, Dung Pies (Toxic) did 23 damage per second, Storyteller Staff's poison did 54 damage per second
- Ghru weapon poisons, poison arrows, the Poison Mist pyromancy, Rotten Pine Resin, and Poison Gem infusion all appear to apply the same identical poison (comparable to the Farron Keep swamp poison)
- Poison and Toxic work very similarly to Dark Souls' poison and toxic. It's a lot weaker in Dark Souls 3 than it was in previous games, so the damage can often be ignored.