Stray Demon Information
- This enemy is not treated as a boss by the game, as a result there is no fog gate or health bar at the bottom of the screen when engaging him. He does, however, drop a Boss Soul.
- There are no NPC summons for this fight.
- Souls: NG 5000, NG+ 20000, NG++ 22000 NG+3 (??) ...NG+9 (??)
- Other: Soul of a Stray Demon
- Deals Strike and Standard damage.
- Weak to Strike, Dark and Black Knight's weapons.
- Resistant to Fire and Lightning.
- Immune to Poison, Toxic, Bleed and Frost.
- Legs are destructible (video) and the demon can be "riposted" by hitting his head when he is down. Ripostes can even be chained (Video).
- Grab can be escaped by mashing L1 and R1.
Strategy 1 (Melee Twohand)
As with the Stray Demon in Dark Souls 1, it is easiest to simply remove all armor to allow quick rolling. Equip your weapon to Two-handed, and roll under his swings, stay close to his legs and behind him while attacking. Keeping your distance not recommended due to him spitting boulders and his axe's long range. Constantly attacking the Demon's left leg (the right leg from the player's perspective), can result in breaking the leg, which will make the fight a lot easier, since he will move slower, lay on the floor and lose a bit of his moveset. Beware though: the range of his hammer's swings become extended in fornt of him. It is therefore advisable to riposte him immediately after breaking his legs by moving towards the head while he is collapsing and riposte him to death without letting him recover: video demonstration.
Strategy 2 (Ranged)
With a bow, you can go midway across the battle area, and start shooting him with your bow which will prompt him to start moving towards you. If you backpedal to the far end opposite where he starts, he won't follow you all the way and will begin walking back. once he gets a good distance away begin shooting him again, rinse and repeat. (tested with 20 Dexterity and un-upgraded long bow with standard arrows and was doing 64 damage points to his head).
Strategy 3 (ranged, cheesy)
Shoot the demon and lure him back towards the staircase where you first were able to see him. Go down about 8-15 steps, and you are safe. Turn around and shoot until dead. Only took 25-40 arrows with non-upgraded longbow, wood arrows and 18 dexterity and 14 strength. Easy 5000 souls.
Strategy 4 (Magic)
If you have a shield, you can safely block the projectile attacks while kiting the demon across the bridge while staying out of range of his hammer.
In the same fashion that you can lure him back to the staircase with a bow, you can use magic such as Fire Orb and roll up and down the stairs to safely score hits and avoid his skills.
Strategy 5 (Melee Onehand)
Medium armor at 50 to 60 equipload is good, just enough that you can roll well. Aggro him, ready a roll incase and try to get near him. Smash his tummy, near his legs. Be near him as to bait his jumping body slam. Dont spend all your stamina, conserve and time a roll once he flies up and begins to land. If timed well, you can combo him while he tries to stand up and ready his next move. Stick to him to provoke more easily dodged jump slams that leave him open to hits.
Only Youtube Partners can place videos. Embeds from FL channel only - please add your link below if you're a partner
Stray Demon has one attack phase.
|Grab||Will swing with his left arm, picking you up if it connects. Will proceed to squeeze for massive amounts of damage, likely killing those with lower Vigor scores. He also throws you away on a really long distance, often resulting of falling over the bridge, and so, dying. The throw, along with some of the damage from the squeeze, can be stopped by rapidly mashing R1, L1, R2 and L2 while caught in the grab.|
|Boulder Heave||Will spew a number of boulders at ranged characters.|
|Body Slam||If you spend a lot of time under/behind him, will do a small jump, staying aloft for a couple of seconds before slamming down.|
|Greathammer strike||Deon will try to hit player with his Greathammer|
- The Stray Demon was possibly a flaming demon who guarded the gate of Lothric, but has since of lost its flame. "The Stray Demon, now lacking even a trace of flame, was once the gatekeeper of Lothric." - Soul of the Stray Demon
Notes & Trivia
- Dexterity builds may have a hard time finding a good source of strike damage. In this case, an un-upgraded Caestus or Dark Hand will do.
- If legs are destructed at the same time, when player is grabbed, demon will "float in air" like legs are still present.
- Seems to be a petrified version of the Stray Demon from Dark Souls 1. While the version in that game was organic, this one is covered in rocky outcrops.
- Destroying the Stray Demon's legs will make him transform and crawl along the ground flailing his hammer and use his boulder breath, this is similar to Laurence the First Vicar from the Bloodborne expansion, The Old Hunters, another game by From Software.
- Stray demon can damage invaders.