Sword Master is an Enemy in Dark Souls 3.
Sword Master Information
- Killable enemy. Aggros on sight.
- After killing Sword Master, his summon sign will appear outside the Vordt of the Boreal Valley boss room and outside the Champion Gundyr boss room in Untended Graves.
- Uses Chaos Blade when summoned as white phantom
- Sword Master can be found at Firelink Shrine; to the left of the main entrance.
- Souls: NG (2000), NG+ (10000), NG++ (??), NG+3 (??), NG+6 (??), NG+9 (??)
- Weapons: Uchigatana, Chaos Blade (when summoned)
- Armor: Master's Attire and Master's Gloves
- Weak against most forms of damage.
- A popular way players are defeating Sword Master is forcing him off the side of the cliff. You can bait out his lunge attack at the edge of ledge, causing both of you to fall off.
- Another cheezy way to make him fall to his death is by standing in the corner of the narrow ledge, beside the staircase, two flights below the tower entrance. He will usually try to attack you from above, which leads to himself being launched off the cliff.
- Safe Tactic: Make him follow you to the Firelink Shrine's entrance. He can't enter inside so smash him until he's dead from there.
- Parrying is an effective tactic against him.
- Has low poise. As soon as you hit him he will lose his balance, if you time it correctly, you can hit once and roll away, nudging slowly at his health. (careful of his parry)
- Dark Souls I artbook contains a draft design for a character quite similar to the Sword Master of DS 3. As notes to the design imply he was planned to have a bit more important role and lore, but never made it into DS I, however, it seems character appears in DS 3 as Sword Master NPC, though less detailed and without much lore.
- There is a theory that Sword Master may actually be Shiva of the East. When visiting Firelink Shrine after the Untended Graves, in place of his initial location lies the Chaos Blade, which Shiva has been desperately looking for through the ages. It may very well be that one day he found it, and its damage backlash or just time resulted in Shivas apparel to be reduced to what we know as the Master's attire. Or he may actually be Sword Master Makoto, the original wielder of the Chaos Blade. This needs further investigation.
- Unlikely considering the Easterner's Ashes are very heavily implied to be Shiva's. Additionaly, it's worth considering that the subplot involving Shiva and the Chaos Blade was never included in DaS1's final releases and thus should be considered non-canon.