Way of Blue is a Covenant in Dark Souls 3.
Pale blue sheepskin parchment detailing the moon of an ancient accord. Equip to pledge oneself to the Way of Blue. Members of the Way of Blue are the beneficiaries of an ancient accord. When a dark spirit threatens them, a blue spirit will grant them assistance, and help root out the invader. Summoning takes place automatically while this is equipped."
Way of Blue Information
- Obtain the item: Way of Blue and equip it.
- It is located across from Vordt of the Boreal Valley boss fight in the Cathedral with Emma. Exhaust her dialogue to receive the covenant item.
- Fextra Video
Effects of the Covenant
The Way of the Blue is a co-op covenant that summons Blue Sentinels and Blades of the Darkmoon when you are being invaded, in order to protect you. This covenant is mostly aimed towards players who have trouble beating invaders or just like to have some added security.
It usually takes a while for a Blue Sentinel or Blade of the Darkmoon to be summoned, as such players who do not desire to engage in PvP may want to hide/escape from invaders.
Inexplicably Blades of the Darkmoon and Blue Sentinels will NOT be summoned to protect a player against invading Aldrich Faithful defending Anor Londo or Watchdogs of Farron in the swamps. They however WILL appear should a "regular" invader appear in your game, and killing any number of Aldrich Faithful/Watchdogs who have been summoned due to their covenant objective will not dismiss them.
Some players like to think of the summoned blue spirits as bodyguards rather than helpers (i.e. letting the blue fight the invader in your place rather than along side you). This helps to level the playing field for the invader and give them the chance for extra rewards, gives the blue the opportunity to fight fairly, and lets the host continue through the level as planned. And if the blue spirit fails, the invader will at least be weakened to some degree, and more blue spirits can still be summoned, so this is not explicitly considered ganking, but still frowned upon at times if there is more than one person in the world, i.e. other summons ready to attack you as well.
There are no higher ranks for this covenant.
Covenant: Way of Blue
Discover the Way of Blue Covenant
- Six player PvP matches can be quickly made in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley by equipping the Way of Blue Covenant in the area after the Pontiff Sulyvahn bonfire.
- It usually takes a bit of time for a blue defender to be summoned. If you don't feel confident fighting against red invaders, try hiding in a spot where you don't take damage, as invaders can see you across the entire area if you take damage.
- More than one blue defender may be summoned per invasion, but not more than one per invader.
- If you have a different covenant equipped while you're being invaded, you can equip the Way of Blue covenant and will be able to summon blue sentinels or blade of the darkmoon even as you're invaded. (Does not apply to farron invasion)