Dark Gem is an Upgrade Material in Dark Souls 3.
- Requires the Profaned Coal to begin infusing.
- Infuse into a weapon to make it Dark.
- Dark weapons inflict dark damage, and scale with Faith and Intelligence.
- Also adds Faith scaling to innate lightning damage in weapons (works with Drakeblood, requires more confirmation).
- Rare drop from Pus of Man in High Wall of Lothric, Consumed King's Garden, and Lothric Castle.
- Rare drop from the Rotten Slug in Consumed King's Garden.
- Drops from the second rolling "boulder" in Catacombs of Carthus. You must destroy the hat wearing skeleton for the boulder to stop rolling.
- Consumed King's Garden: Under the left set of stairs leading up to the courtyard full of knights just before the boss room. (Video location)
- Located after the Corvian Settlement bonfire (Ashes DLC). Head up toward the large NPC wielding Crow Quills and turn right before the gate at the end of the path, drop down and into the open window and defeat the two fly type mobs inside. Gem is on a corpse here.
- 1 located on a corpse surrounded by baby locusts at the entrance of the giant swamp in The Ringed City (Ringed City DLC)
- Can rarely drop from the Harald Legion enemies (The Ringed City DLC).
- Requires the Profaned Coal in order to start infusing weapons.
- Some weapons have higher Dark scaling than others (e.g. Corvian's gets E scaling at +0, while a Notched Whip gets D).
- An alternative to the Dark Blade miracle for a non-caster character.
- A variety of enemies (Silver Knights, for example) and a couple of bosses (Vordt, Dancer) are fairly weak to Dark damage.
- With minimal Intelligence and Faith, it's best to stick to Deep gems.
- Damage Scaling softcaps at 30/30 INT/FTH
- To our dismay, the Dark Sword gets renamed to Reinforced Dark Sword when infused with a Dark Gem.