Equipment Load is a gameplay mechanic that determines your mobility based on the weight of the armor, weapons and rings you have equipped.
Each weapon, armor, and ring you have equipped, even if it is not currently held in your hands, contributes to your current Equipment Load. The weights are simply added together. Tools, arrows, and bolts do not weigh anything, and do not contribute to Equipment Load.
Your character's current and maximum Equipment Load is shown as a fraction on many screens. A percentage called Weight Ratio is also shown in the top right corner of many of your character screens. This value is obtained by dividing your current Equipment Load (the total weight of your equipped armor, weapons, shields and rings) with your maximal Equipment Load (determined by your Vitality). Depending on your current Weight Ratio, your character's mobility changes as follows:
|Weight Ratio %||Effect|
|29.9% or less||Fastest state: very fast rolls that go the farthest, with 13 iframes. Fast backsteps.|
|30.0% – 69.9%||Regular state: medium rolls with 13 iframes. Fast backsteps.|
|70.0% – 99.9%||Slow state ("fat rolling"): slow and short rolls with 12 iframes. Slow backsteps. Stamina regenerates about 20% slower.*|
|100.0% or higher||Overburdened: cannot roll, backstep or run. The walking animation changes.|
*Please see the Stamina page for stamina regeneration information.
You can increase your maximum equip load by:
- Leveling up Vitality (each point increases your base maximal load by 1.0).
- Equipping Havel's Ring (increases your maximum equipment load by 15%/17%/18%/19%).
- Equipping the Ring of Favor (increases your maximum equipment load by 5%/6%//7%/8%).
- Equipping the Prisoner's Chain ring (increases your Vitality by 5. Does not work when your Vitality is already at 99).
- Equipping Prisoner's Chain at 99 Vitality will increase your weight ratio as the ring weighs 0.8.
- Unlike Dark Souls 1, Equipment Load has no impact on run speed or sprint speed when it is under 100%.
- Your character's base maximal Equipment Load is 40.0 + 1.0 for each point of Vitality.
- The bonuses of the rings stack. Moreover, Havel's Ring and Ring of Favor stack multiplicative. Equipping the normal version of both rings increases your maximal load by a factor of 1.15 * 1.05 = 1.2075 and not by 1.15 + 1.05 = 1.20.
- Roll speed and distance are both greater when the Weight Ratio is <30%. However, the animations for the fast and medium roll take the same amount of time to complete.
- There seems to be some confusion in the community regarding the terms fast and quick. These terms describes the actual velocity of the player character, and not the duration of the roll itself. i.e. Rolls cover more distance in the same time when having a Weight Ratio <30%.
- The maximum obtainable maximal Equipment Load is 178.6 and is reached when a character with 99 Vitality equips Havel's Ring+3 and Ring of Favor +3. This means the highest load you can carry while still maintaining the fastest rolls is 53.5.
- The Havel Knight (and your character) would require a Vitality score of 94 to be able to roll normally (<70% Weight Ratio) when equipped with the complete Havel's Set, the Dragon Tooth, Havel's Greatshield and Havel's Ring.