Greirat of the Undead Settlement
|????||1000||High Wall of Lothric||Greirat's Ashes
Greirat of the Undead Settlement is an NPC in Dark Souls 3. Greirat will occasionally ask if he can go and "steal" items for you that he will then sell.
- Gives you the Blue Tearstone Ring and asks you to deliver it to Loretta in the Undead Settlement.
- Appears as a vendor with an expandable inventory during his questline.
- Initially locked in a cell below the Tower on the Wall bonfire in the High Wall of Lothric. You can find the Cell Key inside of the workshop below the Pus of Man which erupts on the rooftop. After heading down the ladder and defeating the Lothric Knight, follow the stairs at the end of the hall down to the base floor. Several Starved Hounds and Hollow Soldiers will be patrolling the area. The key is located at the back wall, down a flight of stairs which leads to a Starved Hound and an eventual dead end.
- After accepting his request, he appears at Firelink Shrine as a vendor, asking you to remember about his request when talked to.
- You can find Loretta's Bone past the Undead Settlement bonfire. It is on a corpse hanging from the balcony of the first house the player will enter, overlooking a congregation in front of a burning tree.
- After delivering Loretta's Bone, he will tell the player to keep the ring, but other than that will not react. Once the world is reset, however, he will be in a curled up position and will give the player the Curl Up gesture, while remaining unresponsive. Once the player leaves and enters Firelink Shrine once more, he will ask for permission to scavenge for more items. He will return following the next boss kill and can return as early as after Curse-Rotted Greatwood.
His questline consists of five main stages:
- Rescue Greirat;
- Deliver Loretta's Bone;
- Greirat's first outing (to the Undead Settlement);
- Greirat's second outing (to Irithyll, where he will die unless his rescue by either Patches or Siegward is ensured);
- And optionally, Greirat's third outing (to Lothric Castle, where he will die regardless of the player's actions).
1. Rescue Greirat
- From the High Wall of Lothric's Tower on the Wall bonfire, head down to the dark room with the broken floor and exit through the door on the right. Cross the rooftops where you encounter the Pus of Man, climb down the ladder on the right, and enter the building below.
- After dealing with the spear-wielding Lothric Knight, head all the way down to a room guarded by dogs and Great Axe-wielding Hollows. Behind some black powder barrels is a semi-hidden staircase where you can find the key to Greirat's cell.
- From the Tower on the Wall bonfire, head down one floor, and follow the hallway that is inside the tower. You will eventually run into Greirat's cell.
- Unlock the cell and speak to Greirat. Accept his help.
2. Help Greirat with Loretta
- Talk to Greirat in Firelink Shrine, and he will speak to you about Loretta.
- From the Undead Settlement Bonfire (second bonfire after the Vordt of the Boreal Valley boss fight), you will immediately find a building that is dark inside.
- On the balcony, you will see a a corpse with loot on it. Attack it to make it fall and you will find Loretta's bone.
- Give Greirat Loretta's bone.
3. Greirat's First Outing (Undead Settlement)
Visit the Undead Settlement after sending Greirat on his first mission to trigger him to leave Firelink Shrine for the first time. If you are having trouble getting Greirat to leave Firelink, try warping to the Dilapitated Bridge bonfire, then cross the bridge and make your way through the ruins to the Road of Sacrifices.
4. Greirat's Second Outing (Irithyll Dungeon)
His second scavenging mission becomes available after crossing the bridge between the Catacombs and the Boreal Valley.
He will die on this mission, unless one of these conditions matches:
- Siegward of Catarina is sitting by the kitchen fireplace in Irithyll. Don't talk to Siegward and progress past Pontiff Sulyvahn into the Irythill Dungeon, which will move Siegward to his next area.
- Or you haven't bought Siegward's armor from Patches and inform Patches of his destination after you send Greirat on his mission. If you already defeated Pontiff Sulyvahn, you won't have the option to tell Patches where Greirat went, so he won't save him. IMPORTANT: You also need to defeat any boss that ISN'T Pontiff (e.g., the Old Demon King) after telling Patches where Greirat went. If this is not done, Patches will NOT leave Firelink despite also not selling you anything (he will just stand there and repeat a single line about Greirat over and over). Defeating Pontiff, in this case, will result in Greirat dying and his body will show up in the sewer area.
Note that Greirat will be doomed in these cases:
- Patches will not rescue Greirat - even if you send Greirat on his second outing after the Yhorm the Giant boss fight, and Siegward has died.
- If you talked to Siegward in Irithyll:
- Do not kill Alva the Spurned, who invades when embered — just before the Irithyll Dungeon Bonfire.
- Do not proceed into Irithyll Dungeon. It has been reported that you may light that bonfire, if perhaps Alva the Spurned has not been killed.
- Bug/Glitch: Remove Siegward's armor from your inventory before finding Siegward in the well or encountering Patches in the Cathedral. If Patches' spawn at the Cathedral of the Deep or Firelink Shrine are bugged and you can't purchase Siegward's armor: it might be possible to give Siegward the armor that you have. If this succeeds, it has been reported that buying the armor again from Patches might fail the quest.
Kill any boss to complete his scavenging mission (Pontiff Sulyvahn is simplest, but the Old Demon King or Champion's Gravetender & Gravetender Greatwolf
works too). If you successfully saved him, he'll return safely to Firelink Shrine immediately after killing the boss; otherwise you can find Greirat's Ashes
in the sewer area under the kitchen in Irithyll.
- Sent Greirat out to pillage Irithyll after killing Alva the Spurned and going through Irithyll Dungeon. I did not talk to Siegward in Irithyll (ignored him and walked past him). Thus, Siegward was still sitting in the kitchen when I defeated Pontiff. Greirat was saved by Siegward and returned safely to Firelink. (Confirmed)
- I sent Greirat out for pillage in Irithyll after defeating Pontiff, then killed the fire demon with Siegward and opened the main door to trigger the well location. Went back to buy his armor for the quest line and Patches still asked about Greirat's whereabouts.
- Sent Greirat out after defeating Pontiff, gave Siegward his armor and spoke to him in Irithyll before defeating Pontiff, I then beat the Dancer and found Greirat safe at Firelink. (Confirmed)
- Sent Greirat out after talking to Siegward and before defeating the Pontiff: instead, I went out to try to kill the Dancer. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts I decided to go back to Irithyll and defeat the Pontiff. Greirat did not survive. It seems like just triggering the Dancer bossfight also conditions his questline.
- First give Siegward his armour at the well. Second, kill Wolnir in Catamcombs, do not kill Old Demon King. Third lit the Central Irithyll bonfire and go to Shrine. Do not progress Irithyll. Fourth send Greirat to pillage. Finally beat the Old Demon King in Smouldering Lake . Go back to Firelink and Greirat will be back and safe.
5. Greirat's Third Outing (Lothric Castle)
Third Outing Tried and Failed:
- Killed Yoel of Londor upon meeting, Leonhard, Londor Pale Shade invasions, and Yellowfinger Heysel.
- Waited until after Twin Princes boss fight to send Greirat, still failed.
He will request to leave for a third time to Lothric Castle. He will die if he goes; there is no known way to save him. Patches will ask where Greirat went, but this only causes Patches to disappear for a time. Patches will return later and add one Hidden Blessing to his shop inventory, while failing to save Greirat.
If you complete Step 5, Greirat's Ashes can be found on the roof at the Grand Archives, after jumping down where you see a group of Corvians. Giving Greirat's Ashes to the Shrine Handmaid will allow her to sell Exploding Bolts, Splintering Bolts, and Lightning Urns along with every other item he used to sell. Additionally, any items which were sold by both NPCs (like Firebombs) are overwritten by Greirat's lower prices (50 souls for a Firebomb, instead of 100).
Obtaining Greirat's Ashes through killing Greirat in Firelink Shrine will only unlock the wares that he was selling before he died. Also, if you decide to kill Greirat while both Patches and Greirat are in Firelink Shrine it will turn Patches hostile.
Implications of Killing the Dancer Early to the Questline
- If you choose to defeat the dancer at any time before defeating Aldrich and Yhorm, this will not change the progression of the questline.
- Greirat will only travel to the Undead Settlement after been given Loretta's bone and talking/refreshing Firelink past the "curl up" stage.
- He will only travel to Irithyll once he has returned from the Undead Settlement and you have crossed the bridge, walked through the barrier, and lit the central Irithyll bonfire. If you go through Lothric castle before this, it will make no difference and he will not ask if he can go and pillage there.
- Once you have sent him to Irithyll (and have Siegward or Patches save him) and he successfully returns (typically by defeating Pontiff Sulyvahn) , if you have gone through Lothric Castle, he will immediately ask to pillage there.
- It is best not to send him to pillage Lothric Castle until you have kill Aldrich and Yhorm, or you will not be able to enter the Grand Archives to retrieve his ashes. If you tell him no, he will not ask again, but there is a menu choice to send him there whenever you see fit.
- Reminder that if you don't kill Alva before sending Greirat to pillage, He will kill him, as killing Dancer early alters the questline.
- It has been reported that simply triggering the Dancer bossfight also conditions Greirat's questline.
- Greirat's Ashes and a Bandit's Knife upon death. (Doesn't drop a Bandit Knife if bought at least once)
- Blue Tearstone Ring (unless he has already given it to you)
|Bloodred Moss Clump||∞||500|
|Elkhorn Round Shield||∞||1500|
|Hard Leather Armor||∞||2500|
|Hard Leather Gauntlets||∞||1000|
|Hard Leather Boots||∞||1000|
|After sending him to pillage Undead Settlement|
|Pontiff Knight Curved Sword||∞||6000|
|Pontiff Knight Shield||∞||3000|
|After sending him to pillage Irithyll Valley|
|Lothric Knight Sword||∞||4000|
|Lothric Knight Greatsword||∞||7000|
|Lothric Knight Long Spear||∞||4500|
|Lothric Knight Shield||∞||3000|
|Lothric Knight Greatshield||∞||5000|
|Dragonslayer Lightning Arrow||∞||750|
|After sending him to Lothric Castle (sold by Shrine Handmaid after returning with his ashes)|
First encounter (High Wall of Lothric)
"Ahh, you're no jailer are you? No, no, you're from far away. And judging by the bell... You must be some of that unkindled ash. Remarkable, if that's true, then i have a favour to ask. Below the High Wall is a musty little town. Not the home of any lord, just a very old settlement of Undead. An old woman, Loretta, lives there. Please give her this ring. I- I am not asking for charity. In fa- in fact if you do this for me... I'll be sure to repay you in kind. I-I may be a petty thief, but I've more wits than most royalty. What do you say, then?"
[Refuse] "Yes, well, why should you? But if you change your mind, give me a shout, eh? I-I'm only a petty thief. I've nowhere else to go. Not like there's anything calling to me out there.. heh"
[After Refusing] "Oh, what have we here? Changed your mind perhaps? You deliver the ring, and I offer my co-operation. Hardly a shabby deal, hm?"
[Grant Request] "Very well. I humbly place my faith in you. I am Greirat of the Undead Settlement, and I promise to assist you. Give this ring to old Loretta at the base of the High Wall. ...Do your part, and I'll do mine."
[Attacking him] "Cold piss, what the devil is it now? I get caught once, and now this! One bloody time! Curse the gods!"
[You die] "As they say, "The cornered rat will lick the balls of a cat." "
[Killing him] "(Forgive me, mother.) Forgive me, dear..."
Second encounter (Firelink Shrine)
"Oh, hello, you're back. And in one piece. Well, now it's time I do my part. Whatever trinket you need, speak up. Just don't ask me where I got them."
[Talk] "Do me a favour, and don't forget our promise. Give the [this] ring to old Loretta at the base of the High Wall. A nuisance, I know, but it'll help me tie up some loose ends."
Give Loretta's Bone
"Heavens, she was already dead... Thank you. I-I'm not surprised, though. Hmm, almost a relief, really. You can keep the ring. As, well, a little trinket of thanks, I suppose."
[Leave] "Goodbye, and stay safe. Oh, this place is a bore. What good is thievery if you've nowhere to go?"
[Attacking him] "You're heading for the brink aren't you? Well I won't let you drag me down! En guarde, you crusty ash bastard!"
[You die] "Cold piss, why did it come to this..."
[Killing him] "(Cries) I've gone and run my course, haven't I?"
Pillage (Undead Settlement)
"Ah, there you are. I was thinking... You know I'm a petty thief. Well, perhaps I'll go on the prowl. Everyone's dead or hollowed away anyway, right, so... I might as well fetch some weapons or treasure for you. Well, what do you say?"
[Refuse] "All right, fine and well. If that's your wish I can only obey. But, feel free to change your mind later. I wouldn't want to lose my touch..."
[Talk] "What is it? Have you changed your mind? I'm ready to go thieving at a moment's notice. Just give me the word."
[Send him to pillage] "Thank you. You will not be disappointed. Greirat the Thief was once a well-known name. Until I ended up rotting in a cell..."
[Leave] "Good-bye. I will leave for some time. So long for now. Do stay safe, you hear? Or my efforts will have been for naught."
[Return] "Oh, hello, you've come at a good time. It took some prowling, but I've finally made a score. Go on, have a gander."
Pillage (Irithyll of the Boreal Valley)
"Ahh, hello, fine work, I say. Discovering Irithyll in the Boreal Valley, all in a day's work. If the tales are true, it is home to old moon-worshipping nobles, and should be packed with treasure. What do you think? Shall I go and see what I can find?
[Refuse] "All right, fine and well. If that is your wish, I can only obey. But, feel free to change your mind later. I hate to leave a city of nobles ripe for the picking..."
[Talk] "What is it? Changed your mind? I'm ready to go thieving at a moment's notice. Just give me the word."
[Send him to pillage] "Mm, a fine choice! I am greirat, the thief. What I bring back will be worthy of that name."
[Return] "Oh, then, we are both safe and sound. Thank the gods for that. I don't like cutting things so close. I might've died if it wasn't for that peculiar onion knight. But in the end, it all paid off. Take a good look. They're sure to be of some use."
Pillage (Lothric Castle)
"You know, I was thinking... About leaving for another round of thieving. There must be something of use in Lothric Castle. I-I'm aware of the danger. That castle is a death trap. Not a single man has returned from the castle unscathed, even back in the day. But I don't want sit around and die a petty rat. And I consider myself your friend."
[Refuse] "Right, fine. You're very thoughtful, you are. But, if you change your mind, do speak up. I meant every word of what I said."
[Talk] "Changed your mind? I hope you do. I lived a petty rat, but would rather not die as one."
[Send him to pillage] "Thank you, for placing your trust in me. Oh, don't you worry. I know Lothric like the back of my hand."
- Greirat is voiced by Stephane Cornicard, who also did the voice of Gavlan in Dark Souls 2.
- The hat he is wearing is a Thrall Hood. It is said that people who wear the Thrall hood are either slaves or criminals.
- When Patches takes residence in the Firelink Shrine he mentions that Greirat did him a good turn in Lothric Dungeon.
- Selling him the Blue Tearstone Ring after giving him Loretta's Bone does not change his dialogue.
- There was previously a typo in one of Greirat's dialogues. His sentence " I am Greirat of the Undead Settlement, and I promise to assist you." was previously missing a "t" in the word settlement, making it read "Setlement". This was fixed in a later patch.
- There is a rare glitch regarding Greirat in the Firelink Shrine. Sometimes, upon warping to Firelink Shrine and walking to where Greirat is, the rug he's sitting on and the stuff around him will not be absent and then suddenly appear after a few seconds. It's unknown what causes this to happen but it's mostly likely a loading or rendering glitch.
when doing the second outing if you haven't killed the curse rotted great wood that works for a boss kill as well saving him
Despite the wiki's warnings, i did the following and still saved him in Irithyll/;
1. Lit the Distant Manor bonfire AND killed Alva the Spurned (did not progress any further than the outside area you fight them in)
2. Found Siegward sleeping in the kitchen
3. Went to Firelink Shrine, told Greirat to go to Irithyll
3. Went and spoke the Siegward and obtained Emit Force and a Siegbrau
4. Immediately went to Pontiff and killed him
5. Greirat is back in firelink, he mentions "an onion knight saved him"
this page is so unclear. do i or do i not have to talk to Siegward?
I actually cried when I found him dead in Irithyll
Of course the kindest nicest NPC in the game would die a miserable death. Dark Souls is so wretched.
happy birthday :)
Literally the worst questline in any From game. Some of them you may do the wrong way and never finnish, like Siegmeyer's in DS1, or Pate/Creighton's in DS2, but this one, if you don't follow a specific order of bosses, a specific path, A SPECIFIC SECONDARY QUESTLINE (Siegward's/Patches'), there is NO WAY of completing this on any of your playthroughs without looking up a guide. Then I search for one and end up in this wiki that makes everything more confusing...
This is FALSE: " IMPORTANT: You also need to defeat any boss that ISN'T Pontiff (e.g., the Old Demon King) after telling Patches where Greirat went."
You don't need to kill any other boss. Just leave and return to Firelink after speaking to Patches, to make sure Patches leaves Firelink, then fight Pontiff.
Obligatory Npc with an extremely convoluted and overly complicated questline that requires you to do really specific crap and talk to really specific people at a really specific time that you'd never get on a first playthrough without constantly consulting a guide, which no-one does on a blind first playthrough of a game that almost every single souls game has, like how do they expect people to follow this crap without guides?
this is the WORST quest in souls its SUCKS i go to BED
Killed the pontiff, but did not progress past the first dungeon bonfire, did not yet rescue siegward from well, sent greirat out.
Shitted my pants after reading this, went off to anor londo to farm some souls and to buy the armor for sieggy, but patches had an option to tell him where greirat went
I just realize that he is actually the dark souls equivalent of Stockpile Thomas from demon's souls.
Has anyone tried to do Orbeck's quest at the same time as Greirat's quest? Since they both end up dead in Lothic castle, maybe there is a connection?
for anyone who did the same thing i did and sent greirat on his second outing (i've been playing blind, so my NPCs are a mess lol):
- if you haven't rescued siegward from the well
- haven't bought his onion armor from patches and he is not at firelink
- been through irithyll but have not fought or entered pontiff's fog gate
- went to irithyll dungeon and lit the bonfire
hope is not lost! i did not touch the dungeon bonfire again, but i went back and bought the armor from patches and got him to firelink, and rescued siegward.
siegward progressed to irithyll kitchen, but patches did not ask about greirat's whereabouts. i did not speak to siegward, just checked he was there, and went and killed the old demon king in smouldering lake, and greirat returned safely.
If he was alive to see elden ring, he'd be happy to know Loretta got pretty swole.......
....well.....before we killed her
if he dies on the 2nd outting (in irythll) with his ashes will you still be able to buy the new stuff (lothric knight weapons) from the shrine handmaiden?
Bruh this wiki is inaccurate you can talk to siegward and defeat pontiff all you need to do is NOT to go to irithyll dungeon (i know some comments said stuff like this)
I MISS U SWEET THIEF
god i hate these kind of questlines where you have to do it in a specific way and avoid killing bosses or talking to other npcs, otherwise the questline will break.
Surely there is a way to make him survive his 3rd outing. I imagine we will never know because the community has mostly moved on to E.R.
Best thief of all time and a good friend, it is nice to meet you, Greirat~~
I know some comments already told it, but just to clarify: for greirat to survive the second pillage you need siegward in the area. If you go towards irithyll dungeon, the game will remove siegward from the kitchen and load him in the cell to progress his own questline, and greirat will die to the sewer centipedes. Kill pontiff first before going to irithyll dungeon.
And no, he dies in the third pillage regardless of what you do.
I can confirm that lighting the dungeon bonfire after killing Alva messes up the quest regardless of Siegward, sadge
I think you can't progress his questline if you killed ALL the bosses
"The cornered rat will lick the balls of a cat."
- Greirat of the Undead Settlement
Ive done 5 playthroughs and not ONCE have i let my precious wholesome thieving boy go to Lothric castle.
So this is my second run through and he died both times. Once because I hadn't found Siegward in the well (it didn't stand out enough for me to notice it, especially since it's all the way back at the start of the cathedral), also since I had already explored the tower beforehand I didn't think patches would show up at Firelink (thought he was broken) since he was just standing near Rosaria's door. The second run through I killed Alva and lit the dungeon bonfire, thinking it would be a smart idea to light that bonfire so I could avoid a few enemies and just spawn in the dungeon when I decided to to that part of the game. Both times I was about 12 hours in, and people wonder why others rarely due blind playthroughs. Long story short since I went ahead and relieved some of the aggravation on some of the NPC's that weren't relevant to my build or playthrough.
Ok so I kinda started grerait quest late as I have already killed the ODK and the big ass tree but I did give onion bro his armor back
Grerait is in the undead settlement part problem is I would need to kill pontiff to get him to return so did I screw up?
Greirat is the best husbando >3
TL;DR FOR HIS SECOND OUTING:
1. Send Greirat to Irithyll
2. Roam around in Irithyll and do whatever the hell you want as long as you DO NOT progress past the Distant Manor bonfire
3. Kill Pontiff
That's it. Greirat comes back unscathed. Siegward won't leave if you talk to him in the kitchen, so don't worry about that. It's cozy and he likes it a lot :D
So it's better to just send him to die in Lothric castle, obtain the ashes and give it to the handmaid, you have full stock more close to the bonfire plus the extra arrows.
this quest guide makes it seem so much more convoluted than it really is to save greirat at irithyll. when you send greirat to the boreal valley, just make sure you kill pontiff before going to the dungeon. that's it.
can you save greirat in his second outing if seigward died in the demon fight? I have patches in firelink but he wont ask about greirat's whereabouts no matter what I do.
I wan to cri. I killed Pontiff then killed Yhorm with Siegward. Then triggered Patches on the shrine tower. Sent Geiret. I CAME TO READ WHAT WILL HAPPEN. IF ONLY I READ BEFORE. T_T. He is still at the firelink, i havent left yet.
I gave the bird Lorretta's bone without knowing what it was since I didn't meet him yet. Did I screw over the entire quest line?
I have a question (A dumb one, but a question), after i send Greirat for the second time, can i go to ithryll dungeon after i get him saved?
I ask because i don't wanna screw Irina's questline, nor i want Greirat to die, yet i'm interested on Dark Magic.
Thanks, and sorry for being a casul.
Saving Greirat in Irithyll makes his questline absolute cancer. I hate it so much. Especially because saving him is required to get the Lothric Knight Greatsword (which is a great weapon for paladin builds, or melee faith builds in general). Whoever designed this questline at Fromsoft...I hope you got fired.
Just wanted to add in my most recent playthrough, I killed Pontiff and talked to Siegward in the kitchen before sending out Greirat. I then killed Aldrich and never went near the dungeon area. So just to confirm, using Aldrich as your boss works perfectly fine as long as you haven't gone towards the dungeons.
For people wondering, you can in fact progress his questline even if you've killed all bosses. You just need to get summoned and help the host kill a boss. This seems to count towards his questline in your own world
"The cornered rat will lick the balls of a cat." what
sent Greirat out after talking to Siegward and before defeating the Pontiff. I went out to kill the Pontiff. Greirat did not survive.
Warning greirat Will die in new game + if you dont purchase the catarina set, (seigward in the well) send greirat pillage irithil and inform patches where he is gone.
in other words this guide doesn't work for that part.
Funny how a thief is ranked the highest in terms of loyalty and selflessness in this universe. Even fire-keeper had her motives but not this lad.
In Dark Souls, wholesome characters never survive :'(
Has anyone tried giving him lerettas bone when he, or after he asks to go to lothric castle?
[Killing him] "(Forgive me, mother.) Forgive me, dear..."
maybe loretta was his aged mother?
"I meant every word of what I said."
Most heartwarming line in the game
I went through Greirat’s questline up to Irithyll and told him to pillage there (I had not gone past lighting the Central Irithyll bonfire). Before leaving Firelink I talked to Patches about Greirat and immediately left and killed the Dancer. Upon returning, I found Greirat was back with the loot he finds in Irithyll and I was able to continue his questline despite not going through Irithyll and killing Alva. I had never experienced this in dozens of playthroughs so I figured I’d post about it
mmm thats odd... just got greirats ash's near excrement covered ash's... just after going past the barrier after which i told greirat to pillage second time then yea informed patches and went and killed cursed-rottwood... bugger... might have needed to reload game after telling patch's to force him to leave after greirat... no clue but i came back to the shrine and patch's was still there saying greirat had gotten himself in deep this time... no clue... bugger...
I find it interesting that even though he is supposed to be a demeaning character considering he is a thief, he is perhaps the most likeable NPC in DS3. He allows you to keep the ring later on and even wishes you to be safe regardless where you get to buy any of his stuff.
I met patches and bought onion bro's armor, threw it to him at the well, did nothing else with those guys past that point. Went to irithyll after and then sent greirat there, went and killed the dragonslayer armor (my priorities are mega ****ed but im replaying for the first time in years) and he came back safe and sound!
The phrasing in the explanation of the second outing is a little weird. I thought Im not allowed to talk to Siegward while he is sitting in the kitchen if I want greirat alive. While you simply cant talk with him and have him move on BEFORE you ask greirat to scavenge. So if you already sent him out you can just progress like normal.
I did both Patches and Siewards questlines as i encountered them, bought catarina armor rught away, gave it to Siegward, talked to him at fireplace, sent Greirat to pillage, killed Pontiff, and Greairat survived and thanked Onion Bro. I have not proceeded past the arch after Distant Manor bonfire (did not cross the archway that leads outdoors towards Dungeon). Can someone else confirm if that worjed for them too? If that is the case, it trivializes all of the three charachters questlines, countrary to the complicated mess that's written in the wikis!
More like Baerat
I went to Irithyll and lit the bonfire after the portal.
I sent Greirat to pillage.
I told Patches where he went.
I hadn't bought anything from Patches.
I went and killed the Old Demon King.
Greirat had died, Patches hadn't saved him.
Only thing I can think of is I skipped killing the fire demon with Siegward. Instead, he went straight to the well in the cathedral. I wonder if that screws this guest?
For me he died in Irithyll but the shrine maiden still sells his items listed under "After sending him to pillage Irithyll Valley". I guess that means he "collected" those items in Irithyll before he died.
damn f i broke the step f it
"The cornered rat will lick the balls of a cat" damn sus
Greirat runs the economy because he doesn't care about the economy
The madlad sells throwing knives for 20 souls what a sleeper chad
Greirat still lives, I won't send my boi to his death he'll stay in my shrine
What if you trade Loretta's Bone for Ring of Sacrifice in Pickle-pee-rum? Does questline becomes impossible?
The nicest person you will ever met in this world full of monsters.
I mean all what he wanted is to see his mother again, but even after he knows she is dead he has the will to live... Just for you.
Literally did his full quest AFTER killing yohrm. Just make sure siegward is sitting in irithyl while grairat on second outing before killing a boss
I did a slightly different variation of events that caused Greirat to die in Irithyll, and am posting it here for the sake of completeness. Slight inversion of the talk and then visit Irithyll dungeon.
I went through the distant manor and lit the irithyll dungeon bonfire, killed the NPC invader in the transitional area, THEN went up and talked to Siegward. Greirat had already been sent out before these events. I did not return to the Dungeon since talking to Siegward
Patches' dumbass refuses to ask where Greirat is even though I haven't killed Pontiff yet
I make sure Greirat never dies in all my playthroughs eventhough he complains he's bored. I mutter to myself that I do the dying, not you.
Nah, those items from the Lothric Castle pillage aren't worth it.
My thief boy stays alive.
"Greirat the Thief was once a well-known name."
We shall make sure that history never forgets the name: Greirat.
So I decided to test the Dancer theory on my way towards a PVP build, and I've come to the conclusion that Dancer has no relation to Greirat.
I played up until Irithyll normally, having killed all available bosses EXCEPT Dancer (and Pontiff) to this point. I met Patches in Cathedral, bought the armour and delivered it to Seiggy, ensured he was in the kitchen, killed Alva, and sent Greirat out to pillage before heading to Dancer.
After totally beating her first try, I came back to Firelink and boom, friend in his normal spot. Pontiff not defeated, Patches in Firelink, Siegward saved from being Lassie'd. Alva was killed, Dungeon bonfire not lit, and Dancer's fight was triggered during Greirat's Irithyll outing.
In my humble opinion, I believe making Siegward not be in the kitchen while Greirat is out (either withhold armour, kill him, or talk to him to progress him to the dungeon) fails the questline. Alternatively, ensuring Patches can't save Greirat (buy the armour, kill Patches, or refuse to share Greirat's location) will get our friend killed as well. I do not believe Dancer or Alva have anything to do with his survival.
this guy reminds me of thralls and i drop kick thralls
Just listen to the most upvoted answer. Took so many tries to get this shıt done right
Since it isn't written here: It seems that the basin and ladder cutscene is what specifically triggers Greirat's quest into Lothric Castle. I beat the Dancer and he didn't ask. After the cutscene, even before getting the Lothric Castle title card, he asked to go.
Since it isn't written here: It seems that the basin and ladder cutscene is what specifically triggers Greirat's quest into Lothric Castle. I beat the Dancer and he didn't ask. After the cutscene, even before getting the Lothric Castle title card, he asked to go.
What is the trigger to get him to come back from his first outing? (undead settlement)
The easiest way to get Greirat to survive his trip to Irithyll is this:
1. Successfully send you on your first trip to Undead Settlement.
2. Buy the armor from Patches and give it to Siegward.
3. Get to Irithyll, cross the bridge, light the second bonfire (avoid exploring the area) and go talk to Greirat. Send him on an adventure.
IMPORTANT: If you did not buy the armor from Patches, you must go tell Patches about Greirat's adventure.
4. Kill any boss, who is not in Irithyll.
Note: In my games, I avoid killing the Curse-Rotted Greatwood just to use it as an easy way to get Greirat back.
I have done it more than 20 times. Always works.
So I accidentally attacked Siegward and killed him in the kitchen. After that I killed Pontiff. Then I sent Greirat to pillage and went to kill the Old demon king. Greirat returned to Shrine safe and sound.
Regarding his second outing:
1. Bought Siegward's armour and gave it to him in the well
2. Went into Irithyll and lighted the second bonfire (Central Irithyll), the one after the giant lizard bridge fight. I did not progress any further into this area as I decided I wanted to go finish Smouldering Lake first.
3. Sent Greirat on his 2nd pillage
4. Finished Smouldering lake and killed the Old Demon King
5. Grierat in back in Firelink saying Siegward saved him.
Seemingly the reward for completing he's questline is access to more items, as far as I can tell this quest is not needed for 100%/Platinum
i sent him out to lothric castle but i beat every boss before doing so, how do i get his ashes to spawn?
Super easy way that worked on me:
1. Have Patches in Firelink, have Siegward saved that he moved to the fireplace in Irythyll, but don't talk to him yet (I missed patches before deacons and had to have first meeting with him on bridge and buy armor from him). Additionally I had the Old Demon King killed and whole catacombs cleared at this stage. I did not go to Irythyll Dungeon
2. Send greirat
3. Talk to siegward
4. Kill Pontiff
5. Have greirat again in firelink saying that siegward saved him
I was able to get Grairat to return from his Irithyll outing after killing Pontiff and sending him to pillage.
1. Spoke to Seigward in the Kitchen. Did not enter Irithyll dungeon or spawn the Seeker of the Spurned.
2. Defeated Pontiff Sulivan.
3. Spoke to Greirat in firelink shrine and sent him to pillage Irithyll.
4. I had killed the Dancer earlier in the game and defeated all the bosses up to and including Champion Gundyr. The Old Demon King was already defeated, as was the Grave Tender and Sister Frieda in Adriandel.
5. I didn't want to fight Aldrich or go into the dungeon incase it would trigger Grairat's death, so the only boss left available was Dragon Slayer's Armour. I defeated DSA and immediately went back to firelink and Grairat had returned, safe and sound.
Should I send greirat to lothric? It's having a dear friend alive or having some OP bolts
Greirat may have been a thief but he was dear friend to us all.
"Reminder that if you don't kill Alva before sending Greirat to pillage, He will kill him, as killing Dancer early alters the questline."
I killed the dancer early and didn't encounter Alva, yet Greirat survived when I sent Patches to rescue him.
1) Not buy Siegward
2) I send Greirat to Irithyl
3) make Patches appear at firelink by going to the tower
4) Tell patches to go in Irithyl
5) Kill pontiff sullivan
6) Greirat dies :(
If you've already killed Pontiff and you haven't sent Greirat yet, there is no need to despair. If you free Siegward then he will save Greirat, so it's fine to talk to Siegward first so long as you save him from his jail cell.
Why must all the waifus die :(
In second outing i killed Pontiff before sending Greirat to Irithyl and i was able to tell Patches where Greirat went
So lame, he died for me even after giving Sigmere his armor and seeing in lower Irithyll. Patches never went to firelink shrine even after speaking to him and falling for his trap, he just stayed by the initial area. So much bs in this game sometime. I did all of this before fighting Pontiff.
Strange, I forgot to get him on my playthrough and he was dead in his cell when I went back after starting the undead settlement. I hadn't killed any bosses or anything. Not sure what happened.
Oh, don't you worry. I know lothric like the back of my hand ..
Thy shall be remembered
In Greyrat's second outing I didn't talk to Siegward in the well yet and Patches still had his armor. Greyrat ended up dying anyway. I guess it might be a bug but I think not talking to Siegward caused this.
For me Greirat managed to return from his second outing in Irithyll while I tooke this steps:
1) Got every bonefire in Irithyll except dungeon and Pontiff
2) Sent Greirat to Irithyll
3) Met Patches in Firelink shrine tower
4) Rescued Siegward from the well (bought his armor from Patches)
5) Met with Siegward in Irithyll in the kitchen and exhausted his dialouge
6) Killed the Pontiff
7) Greirat returned to the Firelink shrine
I broke sieg's quest, since i killed patches when he locked me in the cemetery tower and didn't find sieg in the well at the cathedral (and patches didn't drop his armor). I've already beaten sulyvahn, is greirat 100% gonna die?
I want to clarify something about the second outing, since I – as a non-native speaker – found the wording a bit confusing:
You CAN exhaust the dialogue with Siegward in front of the kitchen fireplace and even go to the distant manor bonfire and if you then defeat Pontiff, Greyrat WILL be saved. What you CAN'T do if you want to save Greyrat is, progress past the distant manor bonfire into Irithyll Dungeon before you killed the Pontiff.
In my playthrough, Greirat survived Irithyll of the Boreal Valley in a way contrary to what is required in this wiki. Here are the steps I took:
1. Did all of Siegward's questline up to Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, including buying his armor from Patches and giving it back to him in the well in the Cathedral of the Deep.
2. Did all of Patches' questline up to Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, to the point where I had him as a merchant at Firelink Shrine.
3. Progressed through Irithyll of the Boreal Valley while never once setting foot into Irithyll Dungeon.
4. Encountered Siegward in the kitchen and exhausted all of his dialogue, to the point where he went back to sleep.
5. Defeated Pontiff Sulyvahn, activated the bonfire and warped back to Firelink Shrine.
6. Greirat was alive and claimed that Siegward had rescued him, though according to this guide he should have been dead as I had exhausted all dialogue with Siegward in the kitchen and he had gone back to sleep.
Maybe at some point this questline was patched so that Siegward will save Greirat, even if his dialogue is exhausted. Not sure but wanted to share my experience in case anyone was worried about losing him during his second thieving expedition. At any rate, I was really glad to see him alive when I got back to Firelink Shrine!
pillages undead settlement, finds pontiff gear
pillages irithyll, finds lothric gear
pillages lothric castle, finds shotgun arrows
thank you fromsoft