- Iudex Gundyr is found in the Cemetery of Ash by the Firelink Shrine. He is immobile at first, and taking the Coiled Sword from his chest triggers the fight.
- Souls: NG (3000), NG+ (15,000), NG++ (16,500), NG+3 (16,875), NG+4 (18,000), NG+6 (18,750), NG+7 (19,125)
- Co-Op Souls: None, co-op is disabled in the tutorial.
- Other: Coiled Sword
- Health: NG (1037), NG+ (3561), NG++ (3917), NG+3 (4095), NG+4 (4273), NG+5 (4629), NG+6 (4807), NG+7 (4985)
- Absorptions: 15% Standard, 12% Strike , 18% Slash, 16% Thrust 5% Magic , 2% Fire, -14% Lightning, 38% Dark, Defense: 100
- Defenses do not change between phases - a firebomb will do the same damage in phase 1 as in phase 2.
- Deals Standard Damage.
- Parriable. If you are close enough to hit him, the first attack he will usually use upon wake-up is a one-handed thrust. This attack is one of his more easily-parried moves.
- Can be poise broken, but that does not allow to perform a riposte. He receives extra damage for a brief period of time.
- Weak to Frost, Lightning, and Fire Damage - however the lightning weakness is only apparent on subsequent playthroughs.
- Resistant to Dark Damage and Bleed.
- Immune to Poison and Toxic.
Only Youtube Partners can place videos. Embeds from FL channel only - please add your link below if you're a partner
Strategy 1 (Melee)
Once the Coiled Sword is removed, the player will have the opportunity to get a few attacks in before the Boss begins to attack. If the player has a Weapon with a Weapon Art that acts as a buff, its use before removing the sword is recommended.
Keeping in mind this is a boss fight designed to teach new players the basics of combat, consistently blocking all of his attacks with one of the starting classes is impossible. Rolling through or parrying his attacks is vital to win this fight. Learn the boss's attack patterns and attck when he's vulnerable.
An easy way to dodge most of Gundyr's attacks is to circle around to your right of him with your shield up. Most attacks will miss the player but be ready to dodge out of the way of his grab.
During the second stage of the fight, he will gain in speed and range.
Strategy 2 (Melee)
If the player has trouble defeating him, keeping your distance and baiting him into doing attacks that are easily dodged and leaving him vulnerable is recommended. Otherwise, sticking to his left side or back allows for an easy kill.
Once he transforms, maintain the same strategy. However, due to a now gained weakness to Fire, using the Firebombs found in the tutorial area is recommended.
Strategy 3 (Magic/Pyromancy)
In his both phases, he is weak to Fire damage. Either use Pyromancy or Firebombs for exceptional damage.
Strategy 4 (Magic/Pyromancy)
Contrary to their melee counterparts, sorcerers and pyromancers will have a much easier time keeping maximum distance. This will most likely trigger Gundyr's Jump and Slice, which is one of his easier attacks to evade, especially in phase two when it can be difficult to keep track of his attacks. It is then safe to cast a spell during Gundyr's recovery.
Sorcerers can enjoy the hard-hitting Heavy Soul Arrow during Gundyr's waking animation. They can keep casting it further into the fight provided they keep their proper distance and cast it during Gundyr's longer recoveries. Otherwise Soul Arrow will also do the trick just fine.
Pyromancers' main damage will come from Fireball, which is a great choice given Gundyr's weakness to fire. However, even more so than sorcerers, pyromancers should really be careful in picking the right time to cast, and only cast one orb at a time. Again, a good tactic is to bait Gundyr into his Jamp and Slice attack and use the recovery time to cast.
In the case of both types of magic, the fight will probably be over pretty soon.
Iudex Gundyr has two attack phases. In the first phase, he wields a halberd type weapon. In the second phase, which triggers when he is below half health, a dark, lizard/serpent-like mass with a tail and claw erupts out of his body, greatly extending his reach.
|Strong Sweep Attack||He uses his halberd to sweep the ground in front of him. It does considerable damage, but there is a delay between the moment when he raises his arm and when he attacks.|
|Jump and Slice||Creating distance between you and Iudex will provoke him into doing a jumping attack with a long range, slicing the ground( and maybe you) with his Halberd. It can be avoided by rolling. The player should not try to get more than one attack in after this.|
|Fast Sweep Attack||It's similar to the first attack, except it's much faster and it does approximately the same amount of damage. He tends to do it while getting up to get you off of him.|
|Jump and Jab||It's the same thing as the second attack, except now, instead of doing a slice, they stick their halberd into the ground when landing. He gets up slowly, so use this as an opportunity to retaliate.|
|Rapid Slice||He chops the terrain in front of him quickly. Easily dodgeable, but you still have to be careful. He does this attack rapidly, mostly after doing the second attack.|
Lore TheoriesGundyr, corrupted by the abyss, spends eternity testing unkindled to see if they are worthy to Link the Flame. He was once an unkindled himself but arose too late to fulfill his duty, never meeting his Fire Keeper, who had been buried within the tower behind Firelink Shrine with the Estus Ring. The flame had already gone out and the bells failed to ring which started a new dark age. As the player character travels through the illusion door, they go back in time to the dark age to face Champion Gundyr at his prime (note: this is fan speculation, it's not proven). This is where they defeat him as the unknown warrior mentioned in the description of Soul of Champion Gundyr, sheathing within him a Coiled Sword and sealing his fate. A prisoner with an unbreakable halberd hoping that one day an unkindled will rise and relink the flame once more. The Pus of Man that possesses him is a form of The Abyss. A Pus of Man behaves like an amalgamation of small morsels and may be like a Mass of Souls, or perhaps some amalgamation of Humanity.
Notes & Trivia
- This set bears extreme resemblance to Old King Dorian from Demon's Souls, a probable call back.
- Their crown also bears some resemblance to the one worn by Ludleth of Courland.
- Iudex means judge in latin, and gund means battle in old germanic. Together it means judge or test battle. In Japanese, his name is "Judge of Ash Gundyr"
- His moveset is interesting to observe on a second playthrough if you also fought Champion Gundyr. Iudex Gundyr's specific halberd moveset is almost exactly the same as the Champion's, but he staggers slightly more after each swing. It's not just a simpler moveset for beginners: compared to the later fight he seems lethargic and not on point at all.
- When Gundyr came late to the shrine as an unkindled, the fire had already faded, and the fire keeper dead. Bested by an unknown warrior, he became a judge for unkindled planning to link the flame. Upon his duty, he was bestowed an unbreakable halberd, leaving to think that he was fated to be an eternal judge from the beginning. When the player encounters Gundyr in the untended graves, he had been recently made judge ( you can clearly see that the world is plunged in the dark, which leaves to conclude that untended graves is in the past). The many years Gundyr waited for the Ashen One to claim to coiled sword caused the Dark to corrupt his body to the point where a creature has come to life in his body. We can assume decades, or centuries passed since Gundyr awaits, rendering his technique dull, and making him weak when the player first meets him as Iudex Gundyr.