Iudex Gundyr is a Boss in Dark Souls 3. He is the first boss that players will encounter. This Dark Souls 3 Iudex Gundyr Guide features locations, strategies and videos on how to defeat Iudex Gundyr easily, as well as tips, weaknesses, trivia and lore notes for the Iudex Gundyr boss.
Iudex Gundyr is a large humanoid clad in heavy armor and attacks the player using a large halberd. Players will find a sword embedded in his chest when they first encounter him. After being brought down to a certain health threshold, a giant black mass emerges from his neck that gives him access to additional attacks. This boss is not optional and the player will have to face him in order to gain access to Firelink Shrine.
As a beginning boss, Iudex Gundyr has a lot of telegraphed attacks that can be consistently sidestepped, dodged, or parried, allowing players to get used to the game's unique combat mechanics. Iudex Gundyr is weak to Fire Damage - and so it is recommended that players make use of the Firebombs they obtain in the tutorial area to defeat him quickly.
Dark Souls 3 Iudex Gundyr Location
Where to find Iudex Gundyr in Dark Souls 3?
- Iudex Gundyr is found in the Cemetery of Ash by the Firelink Shrine. He is immobile at first, and taking the Coiled Sword from his chest triggers the fight.
Iudex Gundyr Drops
What do you get from defeating Iudex Gundyr in Dark Souls 3?
- Souls: NG (3000) | NG+ (15,000) | NG++ (16,500) | NG+3 (16,875) | NG+4 (18,000) | NG+6 (18,750) | NG+7 (19,125)
- Co-Op Souls: None, co-op is disabled in the tutorial.
- Coiled Sword
Iudex Gundyr Notes & Tips
What should you know about fighting Iudex Gundyr in Dark Souls 3?
- Defenses do not change between phases - a firebomb will do the same damage in phase 1 as in phase 2.
- Deals Standard Damage.
- Parriable. If you are close enough to hit him, the first attack he will usually use upon wake-up is a one-handed thrust. This attack is one of his more easily-parried moves.
- Can be poise broken, but that does not allow to perform a riposte. He receives extra damage for a brief period of time.
- Weak to Frost, Lightning, and Fire Damage - however, the lightning weakness is only apparent on subsequent playthroughs.
- Resistant to Dark Damage and Bleed.
- Immune to Poison and Toxic.
Iudex Gundyr Stats
|Playthrough||NG||NG +||NG ++||NG +3||NG +4||NG +5||NG +6||NG +7|
Dark Souls 3 Iudex Gundyr Boss Guide & Strategies
DS3 Iudex Gundyr Video Strategy
Dark Souls 3 Iudex Gundyr Attacks
Iudex Gundyr has two attack phases. In the first phase, he wields a halberd type weapon. In the second phase, which triggers when he is below half health, a dark, lizard/serpent-like mass with a tail and claw erupts out of his body, greatly extending his reach.
|Strong Sweep Attack||He uses his halberd to sweep the ground in front of him. It does considerable damage, but there is a delay between the moment when he raises his arm and when he attacks.|
|Jump and Slice||Creating distance between you and Iudex will provoke him into doing a jumping attack with a long-range, slicing the ground( and maybe you) with his Halberd. It can be avoided by rolling. The player should not try to get more than one attack in after this.|
|Fast Sweep Attack||It's similar to the first attack, except it's much faster and it does approximately the same amount of damage. He tends to do it while getting up to get you off of him.|
|Jump and Jab||It's the same thing as the second attack, except now, instead of doing a slice, they stick their halberd into the ground when landing. He gets up slowly, so use this as an opportunity to retaliate.|
|Rapid Slice||He chops the terrain in front of him quickly. Easily dodgeable, but you still have to be careful. He does this attack rapidly, mostly after doing the second attack.|
|Grab and Stab||He uses his free hand to grab the player and then stabs them, throwing them far away. This is the only attack he uses with his free hand.|
|Second Phase||Gundyr sprouts a Pus of Man from the tentacles around the behind of his neck|
|Transformation||Gundyr transforms into his second phase and in doing so he uses the Pus of Man's hand to smack the player unless they're sticking behind him as he transforms. Additional defenses while transforming.|
|Jump and Slam||Gundyr jumps high up into the air and slams down, anchoring his halberd in the ground upon doing so. This attack usually only happens when you are very close to him and it takes a bit for him to recover.|
|Leap to Smack||Gundyr jumps towards the player if they are a certain distance away and stabs or slashes them with his halberd.|
|Slam and Devour||Gundyr slams his Pus of Man's head onto the ground to his right (unknown if this does damage) and then the head swoops horizontally. This can grab the player.|
|Screech and Bite||Gundyr's Pus of Man screeches and bites downwards on the player, only happens when Gundyr and the player are a small distance apart with the player in front of Gundyr|
How to fight and beat Iudex Gundyr
Strategy 1 (Melee)
Once the Coiled Sword is removed, the player will have the opportunity to get a few attacks in before the Boss begins to attack. If the player has a Weapon with a Weapon Art that acts as a buff, its use before removing the sword is recommended.
Keeping in mind this is a boss fight designed to teach new players the basics of combat, consistently blocking all of his attacks with one of the starting classes is impossible. Rolling through or parrying his attacks is vital to winning this fight. Learn the boss's attack patterns and attack when he's vulnerable.
An easy way to dodge most of Gundyr's attacks is to circle around to your right of him with your shield up. Most attacks will miss the player but be ready to dodge out of the way of his grab.
During the second stage of the fight, he will gain in speed and range.
Strategy 2 (Melee)
If the player has trouble defeating him, keeping your distance and baiting him into doing attacks that are easily dodged and leaving him vulnerable is recommended. Otherwise, sticking to his left side or back allows for an easy kill.
Once he transforms, maintain the same strategy. However, due to a now gained weakness to Fire, using the Firebombs found in the tutorial area is recommended.
Strategy 3 (Magic/Pyromancy)
In both phases, he is weak to Fire damage. Either use Pyromancy or Firebombs for exceptional damage.
Strategy 4 (Magic/Pyromancy)
Contrary to their melee counterparts, sorcerers and pyromancers will have a much easier time keeping maximum distance. This will most likely trigger Gundyr's Jump and Slice, which is one of his easier attacks to evade, especially in phase two when it can be difficult to keep track of his attacks. It is then safe to cast a spell during Gundyr's recovery.
Sorcerers can enjoy the hard-hitting Heavy Soul Arrow during Gundyr's waking animation. They can keep casting it further into the fight provided they keep their proper distance and cast it during Gundyr's longer recoveries. Otherwise, Soul Arrow will also do the trick just fine.
Pyromancers' main damage will come from Fireball, which is a great choice given Gundyr's weakness to fire. However, even more so than sorcerers, pyromancers should really be careful in picking the right time to cast, and only cast one orb at a time. Again, a good tactic is to bait Gundyr into his Jamp and Slice attack and use the recovery time to cast.
In the case of both types of magic, the fight will probably be over pretty soon.
Iudex Gundyr Lore Theories
Gundyr, corrupted by the abyss, spends eternity testing unkindled to see if they are worthy to Link the Flame. He was once an unkindled himself but arose too late to fulfill his duty, never meeting his Fire Keeper, who had been buried within the tower behind Firelink Shrine with the Estus Ring. The flame had already gone out and the bells failed to ring which started a new dark age. As the player character travels through the illusion door, they go back in time to the dark age to face Champion Gundyr at his prime (note: this is fan speculation, it's not proven). This is where they defeat him as the unknown warrior mentioned in the description of Soul of Champion Gundyr, sheathing within him a Coiled Sword and sealing his fate. A prisoner with an unbreakable halberd hoping that one day an unkindled will rise and relink the flame once more. The Pus of Man that possesses him is a form of The Abyss. A Pus of Man behaves like an amalgamation of small morsels and maybe like a Mass of Souls, or perhaps some amalgamation of Humanity.
Leaks from quality assurance testers of the alpha version suggest that Gundyr was originally going to be called Oceiros, with Oceiros not appearing in The Consumed King's Garden, but a cut area called "God's Grave". The character "Gundyr" would still exist, but look and play like Yhorm the Giant - (credit darksouls3theorist and Lance McDonald).
Iudex Gundyr Trivia
- This set bears extreme resemblance to Old King Dorian from Demon's Souls, a probable callback.
- Their crown also bears some resemblance to the one worn by Ludleth of Courland.
- Iudex means judge in Latin, and gund means battle in old germanic. Together it means to judge or test battle. In Japanese, his name is "Judge of Ash Gundyr"
- His move set is interesting to observe on a second playthrough if you also fought Champion Gundyr. Iudex Gundyr's specific halberd move set is almost exactly the same as the Champion's, but he staggers slightly more after each swing. It's not just a simpler move set for beginners: compared to the later fight he seems lethargic and not on point at all.
- When Gundyr came late to the shrine as an unkindled, the fire had already faded, and the fire keeper dead. Bested by an unknown warrior, he became a judge for unkindled planning to link the flame. Upon his duty, he was bestowed an unbreakable halberd, leaving to think that he was fated to be an eternal judge from the beginning. When the player encounters Gundyr in the untended graves, he had been recently made a judge ( you can clearly see that the world is plunged in the dark, which leaves to conclude that untended graves are in the past). The many years Gundyr waited for the Ashen One to claim to coiled sword caused the Dark to corrupt his body to the point where a creature has come to life in his body. We can assume decades, or centuries passed since Gundyr awaits, rendering his technique dull, and making him weak when the player first meets him as Iudex Gundyr.