Ludleth of Courland Information
- Can be killed but will revive after you reload the area.
- If you give him the Transposing Kiln, he will be able to transpose boss souls into weapons and items. Ensure you give him the Kiln before placing all the lord souls as you will not be able to transpose any souls until the next playthrough otherwise.
- He permanently dies after you place the 4 Cinders of the Lords, but you can still transpose great souls if you've given him the kiln beforehand. Interacting with his empty throne will prompt you to begin transposition.
- You can find Ludleth of Courland at Firelink Shrine, sitting on the second throne starting from the left side.
- No Souls
- Skull Ring.
First encounter dialogue
Oh, thou’rt unkindled, and a seeker of Lords. I am Ludleth of Courland. Look not in bewilderment as I say… I linked the fire long ago, becoming a Lord of Cinder. If substantiation be thy want, set thine eyes upon my charred corse. This sad cadav’r. No need to be coy, have a closer look."
Following encounters dialogue
Fret not, fret not. My feet are here firmly planted. For I am a Lord, and this is my throne."
Knowest thou of our purpose? Five thrones will take five Lords, as kindling for the linking of the Fire. The fast fading Flame must be linked to preserve this world. A re-enactment of the first linking of the fire. So it is, I became a Lord of Cinder. I may be but small, but I will die a colossus."
Treat the Fire Keeper not with discourtesy. She is much like thee. Prisioners, both, kept to link the fire."
"Now, now, do not be away overlong."
Listen, this might pique thine interest. Before I was a Lord of Cinder, I was a student of transposition. The process of extracting, and coalescing the essence of a soul. A forbidden art, that once left a foul stain upon Courland's honor. Tis an art that grants powers once thought unattainable. Most transposing kilns were lost with Courland, but this place is a crossing for all manner of cursed objects. If thou happen'st 'pon a transposing kiln, bring it to me, quick."
Once Transposing Kiln is given
Oh, belike it is… a transposing kiln in thy possession. Seen better days, but, methinks it shall suffice. Now bring me a twisted soul. Transposition is the art of extracting, and coalescing the essence of a soul. In transposing a twisted soul, its true power transferreth to thee. Thy purpose is to seek Lords, and slay them. What's to fear in a little transpositon, now?"
After killing the first Lord of cinder
Ahh, most illustrious Lordseeker. Or should I say, Lord-Slayer?
Fine kindling for the thrones , is it not, each soul truly worthy of Lordship.
And all slain by thy hand. To bind them them to their thrones, even in death.
Oh I have no qualms. For as we to our thrones, thou art to thy duty.
In fact, methinks thou'st help helped these poor Lords along their rightful path."
With Lothric's and Lorian's swords
"Ahh, thou'st two most peculiar swords discover'd. A curse once bound them together, such that they served as one. A transposing kiln should restore their rightful form. But before thou should'st act, think well upon the matter. As thou knowest, they are but newly rent apart."
Upon finding the Eyes
Ahh. Found her, did we? And the black eyes that shimmer within, I see? Tis as if it were but yesterday. We did all we could to spare her from them. Much has happened since. Mayhap I should apprise thee... Of what the thin light of these eyes might reveal to the eyeless Firekeeper. Scenes of betrayal, things never intended for her ken, visions of... this age's end..."
Selecting "Talk" after finding the Eyes
The eyes show a world destitute of fire, a barren plane of endless darkness. A place born of betrayal. So I will'd myself Lord, to link the fire, to paint a new vision. What is thine intent?"
Upon leaving, after giving the Eyes
I took the mantle of Lord of Cinder of mine own volition. I speak these words with pride. Choose thy fate alone. Seize it with thine own hands. All the more, should thy fate entail such foul betrayal."
Upon approaching him, after the player has previously killed him
Ahh, it singeth, to the bone, it hurts... Please, help me. Be done with me... No, gods, no, I cannot bear it... It burns, burns, help me..."
(After killing Dragonslayer Armour) "See ye not? I am a lord... A wee flame, belike, but I shoulder the world... Forgive me. Oh please... I am not to blame. I'm not"
Selecting "Talk" after the player has previously killed him
Ah, beg pardon. I must have dozed a while. So, happened upon any twisted souls?"
After slaying Aldrich with Anri
Ahh, well met. Thou'rt at last returned. Knowest thou the name, Anri of Astora? The brave lad/girl left this, as thanks. (Sword) Though gave no elucidation... So. Happened upon any twisted souls?"
(Leave) "Now, heed this little warning, from this little lord. Seek not the boy. She knoweth her faith. What will become of her upon her duty's end. She would not wish thee follow her."
After placing all Lord Cinders
Ahh, well met. All is as planned, is it not? Five lords for five thrones... Glory be, my Lord-slaying Champion. It is all thy doing. The stage is set for me to play my part as Lord, too. Go. Speak with the Fire Keeper."
(Wishing for a world without Fire) "Ahh, well met. All is as planned, is it not? Five lords for five thrones... To think others might ne'er be raised... And I, of the Last Lords, a rather little lord, most undeserving of the honour. Speak with the Fire Keeper."
- The engraving on his throne is "Ludleth the Exiled".
- There appears to be blood or soot on the fabric he sits on.
- If you speak to him after he revives he will be having a dream about when he linked the fire in his world.
- Ludleth speaks a much older form of English than the other characters.
- Courland was a real area that existed in Latvia.
- Ludleth has no legs.
- Ludleth's line, "I may be but small, but I will die a colossus." is completely even different in the Japanese version, so much so that it possibly affects the lore. In Japanese, Ludelth's "colossus" line reads "この小人が、王の栄誉に浴したのさ", which, when translated, reads: "Even this Pygmy here was honored to become a lord." The kanji "小人" can translate to dwarf, small person, and elf even, but it has always been translated as "Pygmy" since Dark Souls I.