- Killable. Must be defeated to progress the events of the Ashes of Ariandel DLC.
- Encounter in the Corvian Settlement in the Painted World of Ariandel after the metal gate in the cathedral.
- List of items that refer to this NPC: Vilhelm's Set
- You can find Sir Vilhelm at Painted World of Ariandel, cathedral before meeting Sister Friede for the first time. He will then be found by the graveyard and will be hostile.
- If you attack him the first time you meet him, he will disappear until his scripted second encounter when he is hostile.
- Souls: NG (9000), NG+ (18000), NG++ (19800), NG+3 (??), NG+6 (??), NG+9 (??)
- Weapons: Onyx Blade
- Armor: None. His armor, Vilhelm's Set can be acquired later in the level on the bottom floor of bug room.
- Key: Contraption Key
- Weak to Poison, Bleed Damage.
- Strong against Frost.
- Immune to ?? damage.
- Phantoms cannot help you in the battle against him. He appears as a ghost to them. The extent of their help is healing the host during the tough battle. (This was changed in Patch 1.09. Phantoms can now engage him as well.)
- Does not use Estus, but will heal himself with a miracle and cast Vow of Silence if you brandish any type of casting device (talisman, pyro glove). This combination can be used to player's advantage.
- He will heal himself as many times as he needs.
- The Onyx Blade he wields has incredible reach and a powerful dark flame bluff. He wields the Dark Hand in his off hand. He is one of the more formidable NPC battles in the game and is a challenge to lower level players unable of dealing enough damage, as well as protection.
- If one chooses the easy way to kill him, one can lead him to outside graveyard and keep dodging him near the edge of the cliff. Eventually he will backstep or dodge to his death by gravity. You can also force him down using the force miracle (video) but be wary of hiding your talisman until the very last moment because otherwise, Sir Vilhelm will resort to casting "vow of silence, effectively canceling this strategy. switching to the talisman/chime needed to cast force at the last minute will give you enough time though.
- Sir Vilhelm will only chase you up to a few feet beyond the steps outside the building (in the graveyard) before he backs away. This can be easily exploited with ranged attacks, backstabs, or melee attacks, but one should be wary of his healing ability.
- Vilhelm can be tricked into leaving his safe area however, during the period he's strolling towards you, if you maintain the distance away from him and keep backing up he will follow you indefinitely, if you wait until he's outside of his usual combat area before you aggro him, he will fight you on the spot. Couple things to keep in mind however is that you will have to alter your strategy, since he is no longer bound by his original fighting area, he will not back away and will follow you aggressively. Secondly, he will not climb ladders, or jump over gaps, but if you attempt to cheese him from the chappel roof to the side of the cathedral he will hug the wall, making it impossible to hit him with arrows or magic/miracles. Lastly, his collision detection seems to be buggy, especially concerning the chappel, if you wait on the center of the roof after dragging him out of his area he will often run at the closed door until he glitches into the chappel (Be mindful of trying to cheese him through a wall, his sword still outranges spears, and if you aggro the knight inside, sometimes Vilhelm will push the knight out of the chappel, causing it to attack you.)
His dialogue in your first encounter is a lot more flourish if you have taken on Yuria's Lord of Hollows quest, have access to the "Lord of by sacrificing Anri and speaking to Yuria afterwards.
NOTE: Lines that are in parentheses are what Vilhelm says when the player has finished the Lord of Hollows questline.
First encounter full dialogue at the Cathedral (including the additional Lord of Hollows dialogue):
(You're Lady Yuria's Lord of Hollows.)
No bell tolls, and yet, you've slipped into the painting?
Ah no matter.
If you've lost your way, the words of Lady Friede will guide you.
Now, go on inside. Show respect, and listen carefully.
What's keeping you? Go on, right inside.
Show respect, and let Lady Friede speak to you."
If you attack him after first meeting him:
Why you miserable, mad Hollow.(Why you miserable, mad Hollow.
You're nothing, without a bell to guide your way.
What is Lady Yuria thinking...)"
If the player talks to Vilhelm again after talking to Sister Friede:
Lady Friede has spoken, has she not?
Then tarry no longer and begone.
(Carry on, for Lady Yuria, and for Londor.)
There is one thing you should know.
Inside the cold painting, curiosity could be your cross...
Stray from the withering flame, and the snow will swallow you whole."
Second encounter in the building at the end of the Corvian Settlement (when he is hostile):
I've seen your kind, time and time again.
Every fleeing man must be caught. Every secret must be unearthed.
Such is the conceit of the self-proclaimed seeker of truth.
But in the end, you lack the stomach.
For the agony you'll bring upon yourself..."
When he kills you:
I trust you've learned your lesson...
Inside the cold painting, curiosity could be your cross..."
When you kill him:
Forgive me, my Lady...
I swore an oath, but I have failed you...
... Lady Elfriede..."
- He is voiced by Steven Hartley, who also voiced Eredin in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.