Soul of Cinder Information
Soul of Cinder is a Boss enemy in Dark Souls 3. It is the Final Boss of Dark Souls 3. It is seen as the amalgamation of all the Lords of Cinder, with a variety of Dark Dialectics spells and movesets used during its first phase and the use of Gwyn's moveset for the second phase.
- You can summon Yuria of Londor to help you fight this enemy. (Must have done Anri's event in Darkmoon tomb and Yuria must not be hostile) Summon sign can be found just before the boss fog.
- You can summon Londor Pale Shade to help you fight this enemy. Summon can be found at mid way up the long winding stairs to the boss arena, turn to your right look for the white sign.
- This boss is not an optional boss fight.
- For endings after defeating it, see the Game Progress Route and/or Kiln of the First Flame.
- Souls: NG (100,000), NG+ (150,000), NG++ (220,000), NG+3 (225,000), NG+4 (240,000), NG+6 (250,000), NG+7 (??), NG+8 (??), NG+9 (??)
- Souls: NG (75,000 with 1 phantom)
- Souls: NG (25,000 with 2 phantoms)
- Soul of the Lords
- Health Information
- Phase 1: NG (6557), NG+ (6655), NG++ (7321), NG+3 (7653), NG+4 (7986), NG+5 (8652), NG+6 (8985), NG+7 (9317)
- Phase 2: NG (4209), NG+ (4272), NG++ (4700), NG+3 (4913), NG+4 (5127), NG+5 (5554), NG+6 (5768), NG+7 (5982)
- Cannot be parried. Can be poise-broken but with no opening for a critical attack.
- Cannot be spell parried.
- Weak to Lightning Damage and Dark Damage.
- While using Sorcery set during phase one, he is extremely vulnerable to Vow of Silence.
- Resistant to Fire Damage.
- Highly resistant to Bleed, but not immune.
- Immune to Poison/Toxic.
- During Phase 1, Soul of Cinder will alternate through 4 various movesets during the fight. Its first moveset consists of standard melee sword swings and thrusts, its second involves the use of soul sorceries such as Crystal Soul Mass and Crystal Soul Spear, its third moveset involves the use of Pyromancy such as Power Within and Great Fireball in addition to the use of a curved sword style (capable of parrying the player) and acrobatic dodges. Its fourth moveset involves a Spear weapon and using Miracles such as Wrath of the Gods and Heal. Defeating the Soul of Cinder will cause it to regenerate all of its HP with an AoE attack followed by an aerial slash, moving on to phase 2.
- During 1st phase, while using sword set, deals Fire Damage, Thrust Damage and Standard Damage.
- During 1st phase, while using sorcery set, deals Magic Damage, Fire Damage and Strike Damage.
- During 1st phase, while using pike, deals Thrust Damage, Standard Damage and Fire Damage.
- During 1st phase, while using curved sword, deals Fire Damage and Slash Damage. May also Poison.
- For Phase 2, Soul of Cinder switches to Greatsword and becomes far more aggresive. In addition, he adopts few Gwyn's moves and use miracles dealing lightning damage.
- During 2nd phase, deals Fire Damage, Lightning Damage, Standard Damage and Thrust Damage.
Only Youtube Partners can place videos. Embeds from FL channel only - please add your link below if you're a partner
Strategy 1 (Melee)
NORMAL MELEE MOVESET. Hardest one to get used to but gives many good openings. Stay near or in medium distance from it and circle to right. The key is to memorize the slow charged attacks so that you don't roll too soon. If you get hit and need to heal, roll away from it and make some distance. This moveset makes the Soul of Cinder highly aggressive, it will attempt to rush you down as soon as you try to gain some distance so hit-and-away strategies are not as effective here as they are with other bosses. It pays off to be aggressive in kind as the more damage you do to it in a short space of time, the closer it gets to being stunned and changing movesets.
MAGE MOVESET. Keeping close is the way to beat this moveset, as most of its sorceries are activated upon reaching a certain distance from it. Homing Soulmass won't fire behind it and even if it does, simply by walking right you dodge it. It never dodges anything and casts slowly so you have great openings to do serious damage. Pontiff's Right Eye ring helps here (consecutive attacks gives dmg boost). The best opening is the Soul Stream (large beam attack): get behind it while it is casting and you are 100% safe! Remember to keep close, as it will try and leap across the room to get the distance it needs to cast its more damaging sorceries.
LANCE+FAITH MOVESET. Pretty simple to deal with. Get really close to it and circle to the right. Dodge everything (except Wrath of Gods) little right and towards it. Never attack after fast poke, only attack after its heavy attacks and charges.
CURVED SWORD+PYROMANCY MOVESET. This moveset appears intimidating and moves very fast, but hits far weaker than its straight sword moveset. Thankfully its attacks are normally preceded by a spinning wind-up and its attacks are telegraphed. Highly aggressive playstyles suit this moveset, and it is more of a DPS race than anything else. In this moveset it can use the Darkwood Grain Ring flip and use pyromancies such as Power Within, Great Combustion and more. Faster weapons here help but are not required, especially thrust weapons with the Leo Ring if you happen to have them. Best opening is after two heavy flaming slashes. It can do them at anytime but most often after it rolls towards the player. First horizontal slash comes out normally, the second is slightly delayed. The recovery time after the second slash is long enough to sneak in an attack and dodge away.
And finally, PHASE TWO, GREAT LORD MOVESET. Really simple to deal with. Stay away and fish for jumping attack and the running poke. Dodge the jump attack little left and towards it so that you end up behind it and it won't do a follow-up attack. Attack once and back away. Running poke is more difficult. Dodge immediately when you see the first running steps. If you identify the Sunlight Storm spell early, you can sprint towards it and attack safely few times before lighting rains down on you. In the event it casts Sunlight Storm, don't panic, but your dodge must be at the last possible second if you wish to safely avoid the attack. If you see the Soul of Cinder take a golf swing stance, roll away immediately and gain significant distance or you will be hit by its 5-hit combo. This moveset, averaged between its previous movesets, hits the hardest and the fastest. If you have beaten the final boss of Dark Souls, you will be at a great advantage.
Strategy 2 (Magic)
The Soul of Cinder is resistant to fire, so opt to use dark spells if you work with pyromancy (most preferably Black Fire Orb). Always keep your distance from the Soul of Cinder. The first phase will be the most difficult, especially in its first swordphase. Choose your time to cast carefully, try always to use your spell after it has attacked. Still, your first priority is keeping your distance. Doing so will allow you to attack it while it is missing its attacks at you. During its scimitar/pyromancy phase, you will have ample opportunities to cast spells while it is casting its own pyromancies. Just beware of being hit by its own fireball. Its spear/miracle phase is arguably the easiest. Just beware of its spear charge and continue keeping your distance, and its spinning attack will miss you completely, giving you the chance to lob some spells at it. During its sorcery phase, beware of casting at the same time as it, unless it is using spells that are slower than yours and leave you the chance to dodge. Soul Stream is a good time to deal damage.
During Phase II the boss will have considerably less health, making this portion quicker. An attack you need to be careful of is its jumping slash. This is very fast and will close the distance to you almost instantly. Whenever it wants to do the five-hit-combo, it will raise up its greatsword and charge up the flame for a brief second, which allows you to evade. If you manage to evade being hit during its five-hit combo, it will simply continue doing the combo at nothing. This is a great chance to deal damage, but be careful not to get hit, since any hit during the combo will combo you.
Strategy 3 Rakuyo's Melee Tips
Stab attack (Attack, this is a great opening)
Fast swings (tricky, this can be part of a 3 hit combo, it's safest to attack after the combo ends)
Fiery strong attack (this can go 3 ways)
- It slashes upwards once. This move resembles the Dark Sword strong attack and has great tracking and range (Block)
- 3 slashes upwards (Roll & Counter)
- It holds its sword and turns around for a large swing (Roll & Counter)
(Roll & Counter)
This is a great time to deal some damage with your melee character.
It can use Farron Hail, Soul Spear, Soul Greatsword or Soul Stream but all these attacks are easy to roll under and counter.
Without its blue aura, Soul of Cinder can't summon Crystal Homing Soulmasses and it's very vulnerable as it has no fast attacks.
Crystal Homing Soulmasses have some AI, they are reluctant to attack when your shield is up. They get much more active when you lower your guard.
Its blue aura can last beyond this phase, but if you stagger it, the aura will disappear.
Fast stabs (Block/Roll) These come in too fast to get a hit in with most weapons. The combo can last for 3 stabs.
Strong attack (Circle/Roll & Counter, this is a great opportunity to attack)
Charge (Get behind it, Circle/Roll --> Attack)
Halberd Spin (Roll towards its back --> Attack)
Wrath of the God (Perfect Roll --> ranged attack or heal)
(Ranged attacks and blocking)
In this mode it is most vulnerable to ranged attacks, like spells or Kukris.
Good openings are when it's casting Fireball, Poison Cloud, Power Within or Combustion
You can also hit it when it's coming at you but it may roll.
The best way to deal with its melee attacks is to block and step backwards.
Sneak in a hit after its combos end.
Power Within may last beyond this phase but the spell will fade if you stagger it.
Lord of Cinder
This is phase 2 and it'll have less health than in phase 1.
Its best attack is a large combo followed by an explosion.
You must never block this attack as it's a real guard breaker.
It's clearly signaled by it holding its sword straight up.
If you see it, try and get away from it. If you break away you can sneak in some Kukris while it's doing the combo.
It can't keep doing that move but its other moves are still good guardbreakers.
The best strategy is to Roll & Counter as much as possible and keep away from its signature attack.
Its kicks, grabs, and smashes are particularly easy to roll under and get in a hit.
|First Phase (4 Stage Moveset)|
|Attack Name||Attack Description|
Wields a straight sword and attacks with sweeping/slashing/thrusting moves.
Wields a curved sword and casts pyromancies:
It also appears to be able to parry you in this phase
Wields a catalyst and casts various types of spells:
Wields a Greatlance and casts miracles:
|Second Phase (Great Lord Moveset)|
|Attack Name||Attack Description|
Launches the player into the air and hits them 4 times, then strikes the sword into the ground for an AOE damage.
Grabs the player, lifts them into the air and creates an explosion. Inflicts heavy damage.
Jump towards the player and perform an attack, inflicts heavy damage.
Performs a front stomp kick, attempt to break the player's guard.
Throws a Sunlight Spear towards the player.
Throws a Sunlight Spear upwards, which splits into a large amount of Sunlight Spears.
Throws a Sunlight Spear directly downward.
- The Soul of Cinder is the deific manifestation of every person that linked the fire, which is why it uses player movesets in the first phase to emulate every player that chose the Link the Fire ending in Dark Souls. In phase 2, it uses Gwyn's moveset out of desperation at having been bested in all of its previous fighting styles.
- "Since Lord Gwyn, the first Lord of Cinder, many exalted lords have linked the First Flame, and it is their very souls that have manifested themselves as defender of the flame." - Soul of the Lords.
- Soul of Cinder attacks are connected with 7 types of damages, what makes creating a proper build difficult.
- One of few bosses in series that is capable of parrying and riposting player.
- The first time you fight Soul of Cinder, it will do a specific pattern to show you all 4 movesets, but not in one specific order. During 2nd, 3rd, etc. attempt he may not use some fighting patterns.
- During second phase, flame explosion is capable of deflecting spells like Great Soul Dregs. Strangely, it will not deflect throwable items like Kukri.
- While the second phase is on, a rebooted version of Gwyn, Lord of Cinder's bossfight soundtrack from Dark Souls can be heard.
- In the first phase, its weapon switchings are similiar to weapon transformations in Bloodborne.
- The flowers surrounding the First Flame are very similar to the flowers found in the Hunter's Dream (Bloodborne) and in The Ringed City.
- The Soul of Cinder is available as figure for Funko Pop line and Dark Souls 3 Collector's Edition - in order to avoid spoilers - under the name of "Red Knight".
- Few of Soul of Cinder abilities mirror Nameless King (Dark Souls III), Gwyn (Dark Souls I), and Manus (Dark Souls I: Artorias of the Abyss).