Spears of the Church
A green-rusted ornament of young grass, the crest of Princess Filianore. Equip to join the Spears of the Church covenant.
The Spears of the Church watch over the Princess' slumber, and when the church is compromised by a trespasser, the Judicator summons them as loyal spirits to eliminate the threat (Summoned automatically while this is equipped).
Loyal spirits summoned as Spears of the Church are granted a blessing of protection.
Spears of the Church is a Covenant in Dark Souls 3. It was added in The Ringed City DLC. The covenant can be obtained from defeating Darkeater Midir under the Inner Ring Wall bonfire. While a member of the Covenant, players wearing this Covenant badge will be summoned to become Halflight, Spear of the Church during the boss fight.
Spears of the Church Information
- Defeat Darkeater Midir under the Inner Ring Wall bonfire. The covenant item drops upon defeating Midir. Equip it to join the covenant.
Effects of Covenant
- Players wearing this Covenant badge will be summoned to replace Halflight, Spear of the Church during the boss fight.
- In order to be summoned, you must equip the Covenant badge. If the covenant icon is flashing white, you are eligible to be summoned.
- Players summoned as a Spear of the Church are tasked with defeating the Disturber of Sleep. Defeating them will reward the player with a Filianore's Spear Ornament. A second Spear Ornament will be given if an additional phantom is summoned (excluding Unbreakable Patches).
- Players summoned as a Spear of the Church will receive increased absorptions proportional to the number of phantoms that the Disturber of Sleep summons, at the cost of being unable to use Estus Flasks, Siegbraus, or Divine Blessings. Healing miracles and other sources of regeneration are allowed.
- Players summoned as a Spear of the Church are able to use the following items during the fight: Ritual Spear Fragment and Divine Spear Fragment. Using these items will cost no FP and are unlimited with a short cooldown.
- Successfully defeating a Disturber of Sleep earns you a Filianore's Spear Ornament. They also rarely drop from Ringed Knights. Spear Ornaments can be turned in to the altar to receive rewards. The altar is located next to the Ringed Knight with the paired greatswords outside the Church of Filianore. The rank requirements are additive, meaning you only have to earn a total of 30, not 10 and then another 30, to obtain all covenant rewards.
Spear of the Church Boss Buffs
All values are with Young Grass Dew.
- Poise bonus is affected by poise scaling, it is not a flat increase. See the Poise page to apply the formula, substituting β with the poise bonus in the chart.
- "Passive Poise" follows the same rules as regular poise, but it is active when you aren't attacking.
- Resistances do NOT account for armor bonuses. Armor bonuses are a flat number applied after the buffs.
- The summoning mechanics of this covenant are reminiscent of the Old Monk from Demon's Souls, whom Hidetaka Miyazaki, one of Dark Souls III's directors, claims to be his favorite boss encounter.
- The title "Disturber of Sleep" will be given to the "host", or the player that entered the boss room. This title refers to Judicator Argo's dialogue, warning the player not to disturb Princess Filianore's slumber.
- The various mentions of grass stem from a Japanese pun on the word "kusa 草" which means both grass and ninja.