Lord of Cinder in Dark Souls 3 is a title given to those who were mighty enough to Link the Flame.
Lords of Cinder have parts of their bodies seemingly alit, in a similar fashion to the player's Lord of Cinder Mode(Embered).
At the ending of the game, the player can choose to Link the Flame himself.
Lord of Cinder Information
Dark Souls 3's story revolves around the five Lords of Cinder, the five being:
- Ludleth of Courland
- Abyss Watchers
- Aldrich, Devourer of Gods
- Yhorm the Giant
- Lothric, Younger Prince
The last four are required bossfights.
- Unkindled are failed Lords of Cinder, succeeding in linking the flame, but too weak to survive the burst of fire.
- Lords of Cinder cannot Link the Flame on their own, and all five are needed.
- The Lords of cinder have linked the fire long ago, but it still fades and it was deemed "not enough". The new order was to have all 5 of them link it again, this time together for a stronger sacrifice.
Only Ludleth of Courland was willing to make the sacrifice. He had his legs removed should his will waver, as the first time he linked the fire must had been traumatic. No one else wants to link the flame. It might be that they barely survived the first time or it hurts like hell.
- The champion of ash, along with many other unkindled are awoken from death, possibly by the fire's call, to bring all mighty Lords back, dead or alive.
- Despite having served as the fuel for the First Flame for this long of a time the Lords of Cinder still retain a good amount of the fire within their body. This aspect in itself is somehow standing against the purpose of “sacrificing oneself to prolong the inevitable” as it implies that this power is taken from the already dying First Flame and thereby weakening it even further.
This in fact could be the very reason the Player Character has to find the Lords of Cinder, slay them and thereby retake their souls to then feed them to the First Flame again by Linking it.
- The young prince Lothric is being called a Lord of Cinder, even though he is implied to have never actually linked the First Flame. He is also not shown to have any of the fire powers the other lords use in their second boss phase. All the fire attacks used are stemming from his older brothers sword (which got its effect from Demon fire).
We are left to speculate further