New Game Plus is a feature of Dark Souls 3, wherein once the Final Boss is defeated, players have the option of replaying the game with their current stats and gear. After the credits, players are presented with an option to head straight into the next playthrough; if they opt not to, they can start the next playthrough later, from the Firelink Shrine bonfire. The consecutive playthroughs bring new challenges as enemies have increased health and damage, and there are new Souls and Rings hidden for players to find in order to continue developing their character.
Changes with Game Plus
- Enemies have more hit points, and deal increased damage.
- Access to upgraded Rings: +1 for NG+ and +2/+3 for NG++ (base rings also still obtainable).
- Soul pickups are changed to higher level versions which give more souls when consumed or sold.
- From NG+3, the only known changes are enemy health, damage and the souls gained for killing enemies and NPC's. There are an unlimited number of NG+, but enemies stop getting stronger after a certain number (believed to be from NG+7). Confirmed.
- Playthough % Increase to Enemy HP and Damage:
New Game Base
NG +2 8%
NG +3 8%
NG +4 8%
NG +5 8%
NG +6 8%
NG +7 8%
NG +8 0%
- NG+ is often much easier than the 40% increase appears. This is because if you are staying around the META,
(SL 120) many people will have finished their build. As such, the perceived difficulty spike is around NG+2 or +3 instead.
- NG+6 is the point that enemies will have double the amount of HP and deal double damage, compared to the first playthough.
- Playthough % Increase to Enemy HP and Damage:
What carries over to New Game Plus
- Covenant rank status.
- All your current stats, weapons, armor, and consumables (including the Coiled Sword Fragment).
- Estus and Bonfire Upgrades.
- Hollow level.
- Friendship with Giant of the Undead Settlement (if you kept the unique Young White Branch he gave you).
- Undead Match
What doesn't carry over to New Game Plus
- All Key Items. This includes Dark Sigils, Tomes, and Ashes (and their respective vendor ware unlocks). With the exception of Champion's Bones.
- All Coals reset.
- Unlocked shortcuts.
- Discovered Bonfires.
- All NPC states (i.e. NPC quest progression resets, dead NPCs come back to life, NPC invaders will invade again, etc.).
- Sky changes (no more black sun and red clouds)
- Pickle Pee, Pump-a-Rum trade state - all trades are reset except for the head carvings, of which you can only have one of each.
To-do Checklist before New Game Plus
- Obtain all Titanite Slabs - there are fifteen (eight in the base game, three in the Ashes of Ariandel DLC, and four in The Ringed City DLC) available per playthrough so it is highly recommended to get as many as possible per run.
- Trade everything you want to trade with Pickle Pee, Pump-a-Rum.
- Kill off all Crystal Lizards and Ravenous Crystal Lizards.
- Collect all Estus Shards and Undead Bone Shards.
- Collect all available Rings (note - all lower versions of rings are still available in all subsequent playthroughs, so don't worry if you missed any).
- Defeat all Bosses and Mini-Bosses.
- Buy any Ore and Gems that you need from upgraded vendors. It's recommended to stock up on Titanite Chunks, Twinkling Titanite, and Titanite Scales, as these will not be available until late into your next playthrough.
- Infuse your weapons and Upgrade them as much as required.
- Kill off NPCs to obtain their equipments and souls. Note that the Shrine Handmaid, Blacksmith Andre, and the Fire Keeper can be killed, but they will respawn without dropping any souls or items. There are no benefits to killing them, only drawbacks - killing the Handmaid will only increase the price of her wares by 20%, and Andre will refuse to help you anymore. The Fire Keeper doesn't change.
- Grind your Covenant Items, for Achievements/Trophies, in either your first journey (since it is easier to defeat the enemies), or during New Game +2 (to have the best Item Discovery possible). The Rosaria's Fingers covenant should be accessed with caution, because any offerings to Rosaria will stop Sirris' questline and, by extention, lock off access to the Mound-Maker covenant if you missed the first way. Here are the required items for getting all covenant rewards:
- 30 Sunlight Medals for Warrior of Sunlight. These may be farmed from Lothric Knights.
- 30 Proof of a Concord Kepts for Blade of the Darkmoon. These may be farmed from Silver Knights.
- 30 Vertebrae Shackles for Mound-Maker. These may be farmed from Carthus Swordsmen.
- 30 Human Dregs for Aldritch Faithful. These may be farmed from Devout of the Deep.
- 30 Wolf's Blood Swordgrasses for Watchdogs of Farron. These may be farmed from Ghru Grunts and Ghru Shaman.
- 30 Pale Tongues for Rosaria's Fingers. These may be farmed from Darkwraiths.
- 30 Filanore's Spear Ornament for Spears of the Church (DLC Ringed City). These may be farmed from Ringed Knights.