Blacksmith Andre is an NPC in Dark Souls 3 located in the Firelink Shrine. Interacting with him allows the player to upgrade, infuse, and repair Weapons, Shields, and Catalysts. Estus Shards scattered throughout Lothric can be given to Andre to increase the player's total Estus charges (up to a total of fifteen). In addition, Andre allows the player to adjust the amount of charges granted to the Estus, and Ashen Estus flasks.
Blacksmith Andre Information
- Interacting with Andre for the first time grants the 'Hurrah!' gesture.
- Similar to the Fire Keeper, Andre can be killed and will respawn. However, upon respawning, he will refuse to enhance or upgrade the player's equipment until the next NG cycle.
- In the dark Firelink Shrine in the Untended Graves, the Blacksmith Hammer is located where Andre normally resides.
- Firelink Shrine, down the hall from the Shrine Handmaid.
Well, a newcomer I see.
I am Andre, I serve in this shrine as a humble smith forging new weapons.
You're in search of the Lords of Cinder, I trust?
A toilsome journey, I wager. You'll require good arms.
Let me smith y' weapons. I am a smith, such is my purpose.
Prithee, be careful. I don't want to see m' work squandered!.
Weapons and protection are sturdy enough, by and large.
But when overused, they'll eventually break.
When their durability is low, repair becomes a necessity.
Use a powder, or simply rest at a bonfire.
But should chance impel them break, bring them to me.
I'll hammer 'em back into shape.
They take no pleasure in breaking, I assure y'.
So handle them with care, if y' would."
There are two ways to smith weapons.
Simple reinforcement is one, and infusion the other.
Reinforcement is straightforward. It strengthens a weapon without altering its property.
Infusion is a more advanced form of smithing that infuses an element.
Reinforcement requires titanite, and infusion requires gems.
Bring the stones and I'll do the smithing.
It's m' purpose, afterall!
In battle, y' weapons are yer only friends. Forge them well, and they won't let y' down."
Oh, by the by.
If you find any Estus Shards, bring 'em 'ere.
They can be used to reinforce either of y' Estus Flasks.
Without those flasks, you'd want for life or focus.
And they'll always stay with y', why not treat 'em well?"
Ahh, another matter.
Infusing weapons with gems requires a special kind of coal.
My humble coals won't be any use infusing more unusual gems.
I know, it's an awful shame, but it's all I have.
Oh, please, don't give me that look.
Believe it or not, I'm quite thin-skinned."
Giving the Farron Coal
"Oh, my... this coal is from the Undead Legion...
Used to forge the weapons of Farron's Abyss Watchers.
A fine prize. I'm honoured to be endured with it.
Now I'll be equipped to infuse special gems.
Praise the gods, eh. Time to put this brawn to use!"
Giving the Sage's Coal
Well, well... What's the Undead Legion doing with a coal such as this?
I'd heard one of the Crystal Sages had sided with Farron's Abysss Watchers.
I suppose it must be true.
You should know, this coal is imbued with magic. First one I've ever seen.
Hardly a surprise is it? I've never been one for books or wise men."
Giving the Profaned Coal
Lords... Where didye hap'n upon this coal?
This is much too dark. I see the Abyss in it...
Yet, a smith I remain. I won't turn down a request.
But forget not,
Your fight is for the flame, and for y' fellow kin. Just like mine.
A cursed fate this may be, but hope remains, does it not?"
Giving the Giant's Coal
My, my. the coal of that peaceful giant...
Seems like ages past... I imagine his passing was long ago.
I miss the old bugger, I do.
My thanks. I'll be sure this coal is put to good use.
I'll be smithing weapons never afore seen by the likes of y'.
It's but a small service, to pay my humble respects"
Twinkling Dragon Torso Stone
Oh, you've returned. I was hoping to see y'.
That crestfallen arse Hawkwood, he handed me this.
He's changed a great deal since he left this place.
Graven of face, he asked me to give it y'. (swordgrass)
Well, now that that task is concluded...
What would y' ha' me smith today?"
Enough of that!"
Beshrew your heart..."
Talking after killing him
Overstep not your bounds, cousin. I may serve, but I'm no slave. I have business I must attend, begone."
- Voice actors, chracter inspirations, fan art, cosplay goes here.
- Due to the dialogue from Andre when he is given the Giant's Coal, we can confirm that it is the same Andre from Dark Souls.
- If you kill yourself with the weaponart of the Katana Bloodlust in front of him he will dissapear but reapear when you respawn. This also happens if you die by the pyromancy Power Within. This is probably a graphical bug.
- Andre is one of the few characters in the Dark Souls series whose mouth moves when he speaks (others being Quelaag's Sister, Kingseeker Frampt, and Darkstalker Kaathe).