- Gives "Collapse" gesture.
- Can be summoned in the following locations:
- In the Consumed King's Garden, for Oceiros in the plaza just before the 2 knights outside the boss fog gate. After dropping in from where the Hollow cleric is, turn left towards the central garden to find his sign (if you have already finished his questline, i.e. killed him, his summoning sign will expectedly not be available here).
- In Archdragon Peak, just outside the Great Belfry Bonfire. Go left after spawning at the bonfire, and his sign should be near the wall. His aim is to reach the altar at the top of the peak. Once he does, he will use the Path of the Dragon gesture and disappear, presumably having acquired the Twinkling Dragon Head Stone. Note that if you try to trigger the Nameless King boss fight by ringing the bell, he will leave using a Black Separation Crystal.
- Before departure he fights with a Bastard Sword, switching between two handing it and one handing it with his shield. Later on, he will leave his shield at Firelink Shrine, and use the Farron Greatsword instead.
- In the final fight for the Twinkling Dragon Stones he has 6 Estus Flasks
- He wears the Undead Legion Armor and the Chain Helm.
- Easy to beat, he won't exit the Abyss Watchers room so you can just stand outside the doors and repeatedly headshot him with arrows or pelt him with magic. As long as you keep hitting him he'll just keep rushing to the edge of the room then slowly backing up while you're completely safe outside.
Location & Questline
First encountered at Firelink Shrine, but he may sometimes be found outside of the building, at a grave with a sword in it, to the left as you exit the main building. Hawkwood gives the player some items if talked to after defeating bosses.
After the Abyss Watchers, Curse-Rotted Greatwood, Deacons of the Deep and the Crystal Sage have been defeated, Hawkwood leaves the shrine, leaving his Shield for Andre to pass to you. (Fextra Video) [Hawkwood shield has also been found sitting at the gravesite with a sword leaning on it. May be triggered to spawn if you didn't talk to Blacksmith Andre after he leaves.]
If you talk to Blacksmith Andre after obtaining the Twinkling Dragon Torso Stone, he will have a message from Hawkwood requesting a duel via Hawkwood's Swordgrass.
Meet him at the Abyss Watchers arena and duel him for the other stone. If he kills you, he takes it. If you kill him, you get the Twinkling Dragon Head Stone. If he kills you and takes your Twinkling Dragon Torso Stone, you can get it back by killing him.
Take note Hawkwood will have seven estus when you fight him.
- Souls: NG (1000), NG+ (5000), NG++ (??), NG+3 (??), NG+6 (??), NG+9 (??)
- Heavy Gem after talking to him once the Curse-Rotted Greatwood or Crystal Sage is slain.
- Farron Ring after talking to him once the Abyss Watchers are slain.
First encounter dialogue
Ahhh, another one, roused from the sleep of death?
Well, you're not alone. We Unkindled are worthless. Can't even die right. Gives me Conniptions.
And they'd have us seek the Lords of Cinder, and return them to their moulding thrones.
But we're talking true legends with the mettle to link the fire. We're not fit to lick their boots.
Don't you think?" Devilish chuckle
The poor wretched souls... Be they lord or legend, the curse shows no mercy. What a sham.
Selecting the "Talk" option (either after Vordt is defeated, or after the banner is raised)
Ooh, yet to give in, eh?
Good. The Fire Keeper must be twitching with delight.
But what do you really know about these Lords of Cinder, these supposed legends?
Let's take Aldrich, for one.
A right and proper cleric, only, he developed a habit of devouring men.
He ate so many that he bloated like a drowned pig, then softened into sludge,
so they stuck him in the Cathedral of the Deep.
And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might.
Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?"
Selecting "Talk" again right after
At the foot of Lothric Castle, an old path still runs below the tower in the Undead Settlement.
It was used to transport sacrifices to the Cathedral of the Deep. You should see where it leads.
...If you've the stones for it."
Selecting the "Talk" option (either after the Curse-Rotted Greatwood is defeated, or after the first Bonfire on the Road of Sacrifices is lit)
You haven't given up yet? Then you're a brasher [lad/lass] than I thought.
You can make better use of this.(gives heavy gem)
I don't need it. Not now I've flown the coop."
Selecting "Talk" again right after
The Undead Legion of Farron is a caravan of Undead.
Sworn by the wolf's blood to contain the Abyss,
the Legion will bury a kingdom at the first sign of exposure.
Joyous bunch, really.
Gaining admission to the Legion is a matter of some ceremony.
Inside their keep, snuffing out the flames of three altars opens the door to the wolf blood.
Even accursed Undead want to believe they're special, it seems.
I pity the sorry souls."
When attacked in Firelink Shrine, but not yet made hostile
What is it, now!" (once)
"Enough, you fool!" (twice)
"What in the bloody hell is wrong with you!?" (thrice)
When turning hostile in Firelink Shrine
I'm a deserter, I know.
But I've still plenty of fight in me…"
When killing the player
We'll never amount to anything, not you, not I…"
You crawled out of the ground, for gods' sake..."
"Go on, be as bloody mad as you like."
When meeting him in the Farron mausoleum
I should have known.
Well, I've decided to stop running from my fate.
Loathe me all you like, I shall take what makes you dragon."
Upon killing the player in the Farron mausoleum
Loathe me all you like, but I am the true dragon…" (takes Twinkling Dragon Torso stone)
Approaching him after being killed by him in the Farron mausoleum
Ahh, there you are.
This shall be no petty theft.
As the true dragon, I shall take what is rightfully mine."
When killed by the player in the Farron mausoleum
You are a dragon, more dragon than I." (drops Twinkling Dragon Head Stone, drops Twinkling Dragon Torso Stone as well if he took it)
- He is voiced by Blake Ritson, who previously voiced Griggs of Vinheim in Dark Souls and Royal Sorcerer Navlaan in Dark Souls 2. He was also originally supposed to voice Knight Artorias.
- Although Hawkwood is a named NPC, he shares many similarities with the Crestfallen Warrior from Demon Souls, the Crestfallen Warrior from Dark Souls and Saulden the Crestfallen Warrior from Dark Souls 2. All well known to be the guides for new players in the previous Souls games.
- If he dies by falling (bug or cliff) just reload the game and his loot can be picked where he was sitting.
- His questline involves the Dragon Covenant hinting that may be a reason he left the Undead Legion.