Anri of Astora is an NPC in Dark Souls 3.
Anri of Astora Information
- Is affiliated with the Blue Sentinels
- This character is crucial to some Endings.
- Gives the Ring of the Evil Eye.
- Teaches the "Quiet Resolve" gesture once their dialogue is exhausted when speaking to them at the Church of Yorshka bonfire.
- You can summon Anri at the Deacons of the Deep and Pontiff Sulyvahn boss encounters.
- Anri's gender is always the opposite of your character's gender. This is not affected by Reversal Ring.
- If Horace is killed in front of Anri, the Astoran knight will cease to fight, drop to their ironclad knees and fall into depression. Should this happen the questline will fail as Anri will not move to the Catacombs.
Questline A (Slayer of Aldrich Ending)
- Start: You can find Anri at the Halfway Fortress bonfire in Road of Sacrifices. Speaking to Anri and Horace will unlock the Blue Sentinels Covenant.
- After defeating the Deacons of the Deep Anri and Horace will appear at the Firelink Shrine. After talking with Anri in the Firelink Shrine they will head towards the Catacombs of Carthus.
- Anri can be found twice in the Catacombs of Carthus.
- Just before the staircase with the rolling Skeleton Ball there is a room with two large skeletons wielding giant curved swords. Defeat the skeletons and find a path leading down. The path will be on the right side if you have your back towards the Skeleton Ball. Anri will be in the corner lamenting the absence of Horace.
- The second time Anri will be at the end of a rocky path in the room with the collapsable wooden bridge. After bypassing several minor skeletons (beware, a small army of them rises when you make your way towards the bridge), go past the bridge instead of crossing it. There is a ledge to the left offering an alternative path across the chasm. Do not jump off the lege and instead continue right to find Anri standing at the end of this path, still looking for Horace.
- If the player looks down from Anri's second location in the Catacombs, there is a long drop to a pool of some sorts littered with items. That's where Horace is. Head across the bridge and attack the posts anchoring it to the cliff. After the animation completely ends the bridge will function as a ladder. Climb down the collapsed bridge, kill the Fire Demon or run past it and head into Smouldering Lake. Once you've made it to the lake hug the right wall and look for an alcove. Horace is inside here, and he will be aggressive. If you don't kill him, Step 5 may result in Anri's death.
Note: It is still possible to meet Anri in the Catacombs if you defeat High Lord Wolnir before the Deacons of the Deep
- Go back to the Catacombs to tell Anri that you found Horace in the Smouldering Lake. After this, Anri presumably leaves to go look for Horace in the Smouldering Lake. Anri will still be in the Catacomb's second location after you have killed High Lord Wolnir, but progressing into the Valley, or waiting for awhile, may cause Anri to leave.
- If Horace is dead: Anri will give you the Ring of the Evil Eye. Anri will then progress to the Church of Yorksha, and will then tell you that Horace couldn't be found in the catacombs.
- If Anri is told of Horace's location and Horace is not killed: Horace kills Anri. After killing High Lord Wolnir reload the area and return to Horace in the Smouldering Lake. You will find Anri's corpse holding Anri's Straight Sword. Horace will still be hostile right where you left him. This is a premature end of the questline.
- Note: If you neglect to talk to Anri throughout the entirety of the catacombs and kill Wolnir, Anri will be in the room with the wooden bridge. You can then kill Horace and tell Anri about it, triggering Anri to move to Church of Yorksha the next time you load the area.
- Note: If you have already killed High Lord Wolnir, never told Anri where Horace was, and they left the catacombs, Anri can be found near the Church of Yorshka bonfire in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, where Anri will give you the Ring of the Evil Eye if you did not get it before, and the questline will continue.
- If you kill the pilgrim in the corner of the room at the Church of Yorshka bonfire (she is disguised as one of the statues in the corner of the room), the pilgrim will drop the Chameleon spell and Anri's summoning sign will appear in front of the Pontiff Sulyvahn's boss room - to the right if facing away from the fog gate, on a little pathway, ending with a pillar.
Note: Killing the pilgrim causes Yuria's questline to fail.
- End: Anri's summoning sign will appear outside, in front of the large, golden cathedral door in Anor Londo. Using this sign will cause you to be summoned as a phantom to help Anri kill Aldrich. This fight can be attempted any number of times, regardless of either your death or Anri's. After killing Aldrich together, you can talk to Ludleth to receive Anri's Straight Sword that were left for you as a gift.
- After receiveing the sword from Ludleth:
- Video showing the last part of Anri's questline A
- NOTE: If you help Anri with Aldrich after Ludleth turns into ashes, you will NOT be able to get the sword and locate Anri in either location, in Smouldering Lake or Cathedral of the Deep.
- NOTE : If you don't kill the pilgrim, you can find Anri dead in the Darkmoon tomb, where you can obtain the sword from Anri's corpse, if Yuria is not hostile towards you.
- NOTE: If Aldrich is killed before you find Anri in the Catacombs, Anri will still go to the Church of Yorshka. However, there will be no pilgrim in the room, instead the pilgrim can be found dead outside the Darkmoon tomb and Anri's corpse will be found inside the temple with their sword if Yuria is not hostile towards you.
- NOTE: Anri's summon sign for Aldrich will not appear unless Horace is killed in Smouldering Lake
- NOTE: Helping Anri defeat Aldrich will only defeat him in Anri's world, not yours.
- NOTE: Killing Yuria and then letting the pilgrim live can result in both quests failing after Pontiff Sulyvahn is killed.
Questline B (Lord of Hollows Ending Trophy)
- Start: Find Yoel of Londor near the Foot of the High Wall bonfire. Recruit him and talk to him at the Firelink Shrine.
- Request his "strength" by allowing him to level you up. Do this 5 times. Make sure to do this before defeating The Abyss Watchers. Also, do NOT cure your dark sigils at any point in the game; it is fine to cure hollowing (the stat) through purging stones and the statue, but you must always have the five dark sigils in your inventory. If you need help to understand the concept of hollowing and the dark sigils, please go to the hollowing page
- Find Anri of Astora at the Halfway Fortress bonfire. Exhaust all dialogue. Speak to them again at the Firelink Shrine bonfire after defeating Deacons of the Deep.
- Find Anri in the Catacombs of Carthus in a hallway before the first rolling skeleton ball. Exhaust all dialogue. Choose dialouge options "no" and "do nothing."
Do not tell Anri of Horace's whereabouts at any point before killing Horace. Doing so will get Anri killed.
- After this, speak to Anri again on the ledge by the side of the wooden bridge before the High Lord Wolnir boss. Note that it is not necessary to have killed Horace in order to progress.
- Anri will eventually leave for the Church of Yorshka, even if you do not meet in the catacombs. The turning point is whether or not you kill the Pilgrim in the next step.
- Find Anri again at the Church of Yorshka bonfire. Exhaust all dialouge. DO NOT kill the pilgrim in the corner of the room when talking to Anri at the Church of Yorshka bonfire. Doing so will void the ending.
- After defeating Pontiff Sulyvahn and opening the path to Anor Londo, speak to Yuria at the Firelink Shrine. Use the talk option and exhaust all dialogue. If done correctly, she will tell you that your spouse awaits you in the Temple of the Darkmoon.
- Perform the "wedding" ceremony. The tomb is located behind a false statue in the room before you get to the rotating tower in Anor Londo (and after the bow knights). Talk to the pilgrim NPC there and accept the sword. Walk up to the dead body and perform the avowal, receiving Anri's 3 dark sigils.
- Afterwards talk to Yuria one last time at the Firelink Shrine. She will congratulate you on your ceremony and tell you that when the time is right, take the fire instead of linking it. Note: You can return to the tomb and pick up Anri's Straight Sword. NOTE: You can exit and reload after performing the ritual to save a trip back. Be sure to grab the spell off the Pilgrim that gave you the sword as well.
- End: Defeat the final boss and touch the bonfire. Enjoy the cutscene.
First encounter dialogue
Oh, hello. How do you do. I am Anri of Astora. Unkindled, like you. This is Horace. A friend and travelling companion. Are you too in search of the Lords of Cinder? We are well along the road of sacrifices. Below us is the Crucifixion Woods. Beyond the flooded woods lies Farron Keep, home of the Undead Legion. Further yet is the Cathedral of the Deep. We seek the cathedral, home of the grim Aldrich. We may go our separate ways now, but we are both seekers of lords. The next time we cross paths, one may find the other in a time of need. May the flames guide your way."
"Oh, yes, Horace... He's not very talkative. But don't think ill of him. He's an uptstanding, kind-hearted knight, a fine partner for this gruelling journey. Without his help, I would have cursed this onerous duty long ago."
What's happened to you?" "Please, stop this!"
"You've gone Hollow, have you? Then I shall put you to rest. Horace! Join me!"
Upon killing Anri
Forgive me, Horace... It pains me...to leave you..."
Upon killing Horace
Oh, Horace, why... Don't leave me, not you... Not like the others... Oh, Horace, Horace..." "Oh, Horace, why..."
Killing passive Anri after killing Horace
Oh, Horace, everyone, forgive me... I was weak on my own..."
Dialogue at Firelink Shrine after defeating Deacons of the Deep
Oh. And we meet again. We spoke before on the road of sacrifices. Anri of Astora. I am well pleased to see you safe. We reached the Cathedral of the Deep, but Aldrich's coffin was empty. The man-eater must have left for his true home. The little doll in the empty coffin told me. Aldrich is said to hail from Irithyll in the Boreal Valley, an ancient fabled city..."
"A pilgrim told me that the city lies beyond Farron Keep. And so becomes our destination..."
Dialogue when first talking in the Catacombs of Carthus
Oh, hello, how very fortunate. Have you seen my companion, Horace? To my shame, I was snared by a trap, and we've become separated. I've not been able to find him since."
[Option to say No]
Yes, I see. Horace is a valiant knight. He can look after himself, no question. He's probably searching for me right now, with twice the resolve. If you happen upon him, please tell him that I remain in the catacombs and will lay prism stones to guide him, as always. Please send him my word. I beg of you. May the flames guide your way."
Dialogue when first talking in the Catacombs of Carthus pt. 2
Ah, hello, we meet again. Have you seen Horace anywhere?"
[Option to say No]
Oh, yes, I see. I've searched high and low, with no luck. Perhaps he's left the catacombs. Oh, Horace, where have you run off to? Have you abandoned me? No, what a horrible thought..."
Dialogue when first talking in the Catacombs of Carthus pt. 3
Oh, Horace, where have you run off to? Have you abandoned me? No, what a horrible thought..."
[After discovering Horace you have the option to tell him/her]
Oh, goodness me. To think there'd be a lake so deep within these catacombs. What a relief. I knew that Horace was alive, and wouldn't stray far. Thank you, we are both in your debt. This hardly expresses my gratitude, but it'll have to do for now. Please take it. And may the flames guide your way." (gives Ring of the Evil Eye)
Church of Yorshka
"Oh, I thought it might be you. Good to see you. I never managed to find Horace. But my duty must be done, even alone. As an unkindled Lordseeker. For the children I knew, bless their souls. We all have our reasons, don't we?"
[If Anri gives the ring here:] "Please, take this. Recompense for my foolish request. And also a token of protection. May the flames guide your way." (gives Ring of the Evil Eye)
"Ahh, you are brave indeed. To face your duty alone. I would do well to learn from you. May the flames guide your way." (Quiet Resolve)
When appearing to help defeat Aldrich (If you kill Horace before Anri disappears from the "Church of Yorshka" bonfire)
Ahh, I thought it might be you. No, this only bolsters my resolve. Please. Lend me your strength. Help me vanquish Aldrich, the man-eating fiend."
When appearing to help defeat Aldrich (If you kill Horace after Anri disappears from the "Church of Yorshka" bonfire)
Ahh, I thought it might be you. Then I'm afraid Horace is... No, this only bolsters my resolve. Please, lend me your strength. Help me vanquish Aldrich, the man-eating fiend."
Upon defeating Aldrich
I owe this to you. Thank you. Truly. Horace we've done it. We really have..."
- Anri's gender will always be opposite to that of the player's character. Also relevant, Anri is a unigender name in Japan.
- Anri's summon sign in Anor londo will be to the left if your character is female, and to the right if your character is male, when facing the door.
- Female Anri is voiced by Lucy Briggs-Owen who previously voiced Impostor Iosefka, Vicar Amelia and Sister Adella (Bloodborne).
- If following Yoel/Yuria's questline Yuira will inform the player that Anri is Hollow and one of her friends is guiding them. At this time if Anri is talked to they will mention that a Pilgrim told them of the path to the Boreal Valley. The pilgrim they mention is certainly the friend Yuria mentions.
- Anri being hollow could also be the reasoning (or one of the reasons) behind as to why Yuria wishes you to marry them.
- After killing Horace, you can go back to Anri in the Catacombs and tell them where to find Horace. Whenever you go back to the cave where you fought Horace, there is a sort of grave. It has his shield, weapon and a prism stone. It's probably Anri that made this, but if you talk to them at the Chruch of Yorshka, they will tell you they never found Horace.
- Upon attacking and killing Horace (before he goes hollow), Anri will cease to fight and collapse, lamenting his death until you either leave or kill them (which nets you their sword).
- During the Lord of Hollows ending, Anri can be seen among the crowd on the right side.
- After defeating Aldritch in Anri's world, return to Ludleth to claim Anri's Straight Sword. Regardless of your character's gender, in the dialogue, Ludleth will refer to Anri as a "boy" then proceed to refer to Anri as a female for the rest of the dialogue.