The Fire Keeper is an NPC in Dark Souls 3 located in the Firelink Shrine. She tends to the bonfire and assists the player character on their long and arduous journey through Lothric. Interacting with her allows the player to spend souls to level up, and later, heal the Dark Sigil using the Fire Keeper Soul.
Fire Keeper Information
- The Fire Keeper can be killed, but will respawn when the area is reloaded.
- Allows the player character to spend souls to level up. After the player has discovered the Fire Keeper Soul in the tower above Firelink Shrine and given it to her, the player can 'heal' the Dark Sigils located in their inventory.
- The Eyes of a Fire Keeper can be given to her to begin the questline to trigger the The End of Fire ending. When she is in possession of the Eyes of a Fire Keeper, the music that plays in Firelink Shrine will change.
- Killing the Fire Keeper while she is in possession of the Eyes of a Fire Keeper will cause the item to drop and be reclaimable by the player character.
- Wears the Fire Keeper Set.
- Drops Eyes of a Fire Keeper upon death if you have given them to her.
First encounter dialogue
Welcome to the bonfire, Unkindled One.
I am a Fire Keeper.
I tend to the flame, and tend to thee.
The Lords have left their thrones, and must be deliver'd to them.
To this end, I am at thy side."
Produce the coiled sword at the bonfire.
The mark of ash will guide thee to the land of the Lords.
To Lothric, where the homes of the Lords converge."
Then touch the darkness inside me.
With your power, let us make the 'soul without a master.'
Farewell, ashen one."
Upon level up
Then touch the darkness within me.
Take nourishment from these sovereignless souls."
While on the level up screen
Let these souls, withdrawn from their vessels,
Manisfestations of disparity
Elucidated by fire,
Burrow deep within me,
Retreating to a darkness beyond the reach of flame,
Let them assume a new master,
Inhabiting ash, casting themselves upon new forms."
When initiating discussion
Welcome Home, ashen one. Speak thine heart's desire."
When selecting "Talk" in general
Ashen one, to be Unkindled is to be a vessel for souls.
Sovereignless souls will become thy strength.
I will show thee how.
Ashen one, bring me souls, plucked from their vessels..."
Once Fire Keeper Soul is given
…Ashen one, this is.. …much like what lies within me… Then let it find its own place, within my bosom. She will understand. We are both Fire Keepers, after all.”
When selecting talk after visiting Lothric Castle
Ashen one, may I pose thee a question? Has the little Lord Ludleth spoken to thee of any... curious matters? I sense that he possesseth some knowledge... Of a thing once most precious, or most terrible, now lost to the Fire Keepers. Pray tell, is it a matter of which I should be apprised?"
Ashen one, what is wrong?"
Upon respawning after death
I'm truly sorry
but know'st thou not? I cannot die. So please, ashen one, allow me to serve thee.
The Lords have left their thrones, and must be delivered to them. To this end, I am ever at thy side."
Upon giving her Fire Keeper Eyes
...Ashen one, are these... Are these eyes? How gracious of thee, ashen one. The very things we Fire Keepers have been missing."
Ashen one, my thanks for the eyes thou'st given. But Fire Keepers are not meant to have eyes. It is forbidden. These will reveal, through a sliver of light, frightful images of betrayal. A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?"
Of course not. Please, kill me, and take these eyes away. Before I am drawn into the darkness. seduced by the thin light, and the awful betrayal.
Selecting "Wish for a world without flame"
Of course. I serve thee, and will do as thou bid'st. This will be our private affair. No one else may know of this. Stay thy path, find lords to link the fire, and I will blindly tend to the flame. Until the day of thy grand betrayal."
Ashen one, forgive me if this soundeth strange. The eyes show a world without fire, a vast stretch of darkness. But 'tis different to what is seen when stripped of vision. In the far distance, I sense the presence of tiny flames. Like precious embers, left to us by past Lords, linkers of the fire. Could this be what draws me to this strangely enticing darkness?"
Once Fire Keeper Eyes is given
...Ashen one, if thine heart should bend... kill me, and strip these eyes from my person. I will return as the Fire Keeper I once was. As it is has always been."
Leaving after having given her the Fire Keeper Eyes
Farewell, ashen one. Mayst thou thy peace discov'r."
After placing all Cinders of the Lords
The five lords sit their five thrones.
All thanks to thee, most worthy of lords.
Ashen one, with the Lords as thy witness, bend thy knee afore the bonfire's coiled sword.
And let the Lords' embers acknowledge thee as their true heir.
A true lord, fit to link the fire."
Kneel at the bonfire (initiate end game)
Noble Lords of Cinder.
The fire fades...
...and the lords go without thrones.
Surrender your fires...
...to the true heir.
Let him grant death...
To the old gods of Lordran, deliverers of the First Flame."
Talk (after kneeling at the bonfire?)
Ashen one, link the fire.
For the Lords of Cinder, for the ashen prisoners, for all those held to preserve the fire.
Link the First Flame."
Talk (after kneeling and giving her eyes?)
Ashen one, if, when thou peerest upon the First Flame...
...Thou wishest yet, for a world without fire, for an end to the linking of the fire...
Then call upon me.
I am a Fire Keeper, and I tend to the flame, to the very end.
Thou'st given me eyes, and such it was they shewed me."
The End of Fire ending
The First Flame quickly fades.
Darkness will shortly settle.
But one day, tiny flames will dance across the darkness.
Like embers, linked by lords past."
"Ashen one, hearest thou my voice, still?"
- Character inspirations, fan art, cosplay goes here.
- Voice acted by Olivia Mace.
- The Fire Keeper is reminiscent of the Maiden in Black from Demon's Souls, Shanalotte from Dark Souls 2, and the Doll from Bloodborne.
- When the player character gives her the Eyes of a Fire Keeper, the theme music playing in Firelink Shrine will change.
- Her hands are bloody.
- The Fire Keeper's dialogue mirrors a lot of the dialogue of the Maiden in Black from Demon's Souls:
- "Then touch the darkness inside me. Take nourishment from these sovereignless souls." vs "Go forth; touch the Demon inside me. Let these ownerless souls become thine own."
- The Fire Keeper will respond to nearly all of the players gestures:
- When performing the "toast" gestures, the Fire Keeper will do a little twirl.
- When performing the "bow" gesture, the Fire Keeper will bow back.
- When performing the "jump for joy" gesture, the Fire Keeper will turn and bring her hand to her face.
- When performing the "joy" gesture, the Fire Keeper will turn and bring her hand to her face.
- When performing the "wave" gesture the Fire Keeper will bow back.
- When performing the "legion etiquette" gesture (a threat/duel challenge), the Fire Keeper will look sad.
- When performing the "Patches squat" gesture, the Fire Keeper will twirl.
- When performing the "Path of the Dragon" gesture, the Fire Keeper will continuously spin around.
- When performing the "curl up" gesture, the Fire Keeper will appear to hide a smile.
- When performing the "sleep" gesture, upon waking, the Fire Keeper will turn her head away.
- When performing the "prostration" gesture, the Fire Keeper will turn her head and bring her hand to her face.
- The model for the Fire Keeper includes a (working?) set of eyes, contrary to the lore: