Cornyx of the Great Swamp is an NPC in Dark Souls 3. Cornyx teaches pyromancies, acts as a merchant, and upgrades the Pyromancy Flame.
Cornyx of the Great Swamp's Information
- Gives "Welcome" gesture.
- Can be killed.
- Can be a Merchant, see list of items sold below.
- Can't teach from the Quelana Pyromancy Tome, it requires a female teacher. See Karla for more information.
- Can't teach from the Grave Warden Pyromancy Tome as it contains dark pyromancies. This tome must be given to Karla.
- You can find Cornyx at the Undead Settlement, where he will offer you his service. He is located in a cage at the top of the building that has 3 firebomb throwing Undead. In order to get there you will need to drop down from the cobblestone bridge that is near the Cliff Underside bonfire and ascend to the top of the building to reach the balcony where his cage is.
- After accepting, he will relocate to Firelink Shrine where he operates as a merchant and provides Pyromancy training services. To find him in Firelink, approach Blacksmith Andre, and head right down the stairs. He will give you a Pyromancy Flame and speaking with him a second time will unlock the Welcome Gesture.
- If you summon White Phantom Great Swamp Cuculus (right outside Old Demon King fog) in the Smouldering Lake and defeat the Old Demon King, you can find the Spotted Whip, and a set of Cornyx’s Garb where you rescued him in Undead Settlement.
|Fire Orb||1||3000||Great Swamp Pyromancy Tome|
|Bursting Fireball||1||5000||Great Swamp Pyromancy Tome|
|Poison Mist||1||2000||Great Swamp Pyromancy Tome|
|Profuse Sweat||1||2000||Great Swamp Pyromancy Tome|
|Acid Surge||1||6000||Carthus Pyromancy Tome|
|Carthus Beacon||1||8000||Carthus Pyromancy Tome|
|Carthus Flame Arc||1||10000||Carthus Pyromancy Tome|
|Great Chaos Fire Orb||1||10,000||Izalith Pyromancy Tome|
|Chaos Storm||1||12,000||Izalith Pyromancy Tome|
Ah-ha, Unkindled are we?
Welcome to my abode.
I am Cornyx, an old pyromancer.
A crow in his cage as you see, now.
But here we are, an encounter for the ages!
I hear the Unkindled make for fine vessels.
Care to learn pyromancies from this old man?"
Ask to learn pyromancy
Most wise. A chance encounter should not be squandered.
To reiterate, I am Cornyx, of the Great Swamp.
The pleasure is mine."
Decline to learn pyromancy
(snickers) Most foolish. This old crow has a little knowledge on his own, you know.
Bah. No sense in spelling it out.
I will not rush you. You will return, once you are enlightened.
We are, after all, both Undead. And both prisoners in our own ways." (snickers)
Second Encounter (Firelink Shrine)
Ahh, there you are, Unkindled One.
I wish to express my gratitude.
For trusting a lowly pyromancer, and allowing me to gaze upon this majestic flame.
As promised, I will impart pyromancies to you.
But first you will need a flame of your own (Gives Pyromancy Flame).
Careful you don't burn yourself with it."
Heed my words, Unkindled One.
Fear the fire.
The home of pyromancy, Izalith, was scorched by the very fire it created.
Undoubtedly, it was a flame of chaos, tangled by a witch's hand.
But who's to say that this Bonfire's flame is any different."
Well, well...I've never seen anything like this.
This inscription...this tome is from the Catacombs.
Fascinating. On this day, the teacher learns alongside the pupil." (laughs)
Ah, what have we here! A pyromancy tome from Izalith!
Then you've found the home of Pyromancy.
Brilliant. I will never curse being old and Undead again.
Now, now, show it here, quickly. Let us channel them together.
The primal pyromanices known only to old Master Salaman!"
Ahh, what have we here...
By the gods. This inscription reads Quelana, the ancient deity, one of the witches of Izalith...
The last of them, who wandered the lands. Then she must have returned to Izalith, after all.
But I regret to say, I cannot accept this.
Quelana's pyromancies are for witches, and must be learned from a mistress.
But thank you, for allowing me to peer upon such a thing.
If only I were a woman." (ha!)
Grave Warden Tome
I'm afraid I cannot accept this.
This pyromancy tome is dark, and delves into the depths of men, where an untouchable flame resides.
I cannot comprehend this myself, let alone teach it to you.
It is a spell forbidden in the Great Swamp, and nearly everywhere else, too.
Only on terribly afflicted, or burdened by deep sorrow, could begin to understand this."
"Why? What's the matter?"
Making him hostile
"Fine, fine, I see how it is.
When a pupil strays from the path, the master must intrude."
Killing the player
Spare the rod and spoil the child."
I can't complain... This old reverie... had to end..."
Killing him in his cage
Little bird, what's to be gained?"
Upon player leaving
Do not be gone for long. What's a teacher without a pupil?"
- Character inspirations, fan art, cosplay goes here.
- Cornix is the latin name for crow.
- Voiced by John Rowe.