Giant of the Undead Settlement is a NPC in Dark Souls 3.
Giant of the Undead Settlement Information
- Will help or attack the player by firing arrows into areas where there are White Birchs.
- Can be killed
- Friendship with him persists into New Game Plus, or as long as you have his peace offering or the burial gift branch in your possession.
- Once he is friendly, his arrows will not damage the player.
- Top of the tower in the Undead Settlement
- The tower has two elevators. One that goes middle-bottom and one that goes middle-top. If you are at the middle level, and the wrong elevator is there, simply activate it and roll off. Then you can wait for the other elevator to arrive.
- See This Map for location.
Befriending the Giant
If you choose the white birch branch as your burial gift the giant will automatically be friendly and there is no need to speak to him at all.
Otherwise, find him and quickly speak to him, choosing "Make Peace", so will give you a token of friendship. This is a unique White Birch Branch that does not stack with the others, and includes the phrase "Good friend, no hit" in the item description. The way he tells you apart from other hollows is by seeing the text carved on the branch, which is why you should keep the branch in your inventory instead of using it. If you use this branch, he will be hostile again, and you will need to make peace with him again.
Alternatively, if the player collects the 6 Young White Branches, 2 beside each white birch, as well as the Saint-Tree Bellvine and the Crown of Dusk, the giant will inexplicably be found dead when you visit him (all the items leading to his death have an "examine" prompt for pick up, instead of the normal "pillage").
- Souls: NG (1000), NG+ (5000), NG++ (5500), NG+3 (5625), NG+6 (??), NG+9 (??)
- Hawk Ring
- First encounter dialogue
- Who are you?"
"I help anytime."
- Who are you?"
- Despite some community theories, it is very unlikely to be Hawkeye Gough from the first Dark Souls as you meet Hawkeye Gough far in the past and this giant exists far into the future. But time in the Dark Souls universe is convoluted, so it is not entirely impossible, especially since Andre the Blacksmith has survived into Dark Souls 3.
- The greatbow and the great arrows he uses are very similar in design to Hawkeye Gough's very own greatbow and great arrows from Dark Souls 1.
- Or alternately it could be that he is a reincarnation of Hawkeye Gough as it seems to be a heavy theme in Dark Souls 3, he could even be a descendant of Gough.
- Turning him hostile will prevent his death when all his items are looted. This will also void his friendship, and you will again be targeted near the white birches even while having his friendship branch.
- He also attacks Dark Spirits regardless whether they have the branches in their inventories.
- The giant is actually two character models. One unarmed model that you can talk to, and one armed with a bow who can only bee seen a distance away from the tower. But if you look at him from near the cliff in the area you help Siegward fight the fire beast, both models can be seen overlapping eachother.