Phase 1: 4,863
Phase 2: 7,150
Phase 3: 6,864
|72,000||Ariandel Chapel (Painted World of Ariandel)|
Titanite Slab (2nd phase end, one time per NG cycle)
Friede: Physical, Bleed, Dark, Backstab, Lightning
Ariandel: All types of damage, Riposte
Blackflame Friede: Bleed, Lightning, Dark, Backstab
Blackflame Friede: Poison/Toxic,
Blackflame Friede: Frost
Sister Friede Information
- Player can summon Slave Knight Gael to aid him in battle. However, he appears at the beginning of 2nd phase. Summon sign is in the room with bonfire, near the stairs which lead to the boss room. However, players should keep in mind that defeating Demon Prince from The Ringed City DLC blocks this summon. Can be summoned, even if player is unembered.
- After defeating Blackflame Friede speak with Corvian Settler near Corvian Settlement bonfire in order to receive a Titanite Slab.
- Total Health: NG (18,877), NG+ (18,896), NG++ (20,785), NG+3 (21,729), NG+4 (22,675), NG+5 (24,564), NG+6 (25,509), NG+7 (26,454)
- Ariandel Chapel
- She is first encountered as a non-hostile NPC in the cathedral in the Painted World of Ariandel. See the Sister Friede NPC page for full dialogue and information. Speaking with her before initiating the boss fight will earn you the Chillbite Ring.
- Eventually, after progressing through the game she will become hostile and is the DLC's main boss.
- After defeating Sister Friede speak with Corvian Settler near Corvian Settlement bonfire in order to receive a Titanite Slab.
- Souls: NG (72,000), NG+ (144,000), NG++ (158,400), NG+3 (162,000), NG+4 (172,800), NG+5 (176,400), NG+6 (180,000), NG+7 (183,600)
- Co-Op Souls: NG (18,000), NG+ (36,000)
- Other: Soul of Sister Friede,
- Titanite Slab: first time after completing the second phase of the fight. Can obtain once per NG cycle.
Combat Information - Sister Friede
- Phase 1 Health: NG (4863), NG+ (4868), NG++ (5355), NG+3 (5598), NG+4 (5842), NG+5 (6328), NG+6 (6572), NG+7 (6815)
- Phase 2 Health: NG (7150), NG+ (7157), NG++ (7872), NG+3 (8230), NG+4 (8588), NG+5 (9304), NG+6 (9662), NG+7 (10,020)
- Present during 1st and 2nd phase of the battle. During 2nd phase shares one health bar with Father Ariandel.
- Parryable: Yes
- Sister Friede attacks deals slash or magic damage. May also cause Frostbite.
- Friede can easily be staggered and backstabbed. Also, some attacks can turn her over or send in air.
- Weak to Bleed, Dark and Lightning.
- Resistant to Poison/Toxic.
- Immune to Frost.
- During 2nd phase, Sister Friede will not try to perform a critical strike, but instead she may restore some health points.
Combat information - Father Ariandel
- Health: NG (7150), NG+ (7157), NG++ (7872), NG+3 (8230), NG+4 (8588), NG+5 (9304), NG+6 (9662), NG+7 (10,020)
- Present during 2nd phase of battle. Shares one health bar with Sister Friede.
- Parryable: No
- Ariandel is a very fragile boss, therefore he is weak to all types of damage, most noticeable is weakness to physical, bleed and fire damage.
- Attacks deals massive Strike and/or Fire damage.
- Due to his size he can't be backstabbed, but it makes him an easy target for spells with AoE like Poison/Toxic Mist or Persilent Mercury.
- With enough hits, Ariandel can be staggered, allowing players to perform a critical strike, dealing significant damage. His recovery after the attack gives players a chance to land few more hits.
Combat Information - Blackflame Friede
- Health: NG (6864), NG+ (6871), NG++ (7558), NG+3 (7901), NG+4 (8245), NG+5 (8932), NG+6 (9275), NG+7 (9619)
- Present during final phase of the battle.
- Parryable: Yes
- Attacks deals slash, magic, fire or dark damage. May also cause frostbite.
- Blackflame Friede can easily be backstabbed.
- Weak to Lightning, Dark and Bleed
- Resistant to Poison/Toxic.
- Immune to Frost.
(Placeholder for now)
Only Youtube Partners can place videos. Embeds from FL channel only - please add your link below if you're a partner
Strategy 1 (Melee)
Before advancing to take her on, summon the NPC by the bonfire.
In the first phase of the fight, Sister Friede will shoot streaks of frost that deal heavy frost damage, and can quickly inflict Frostbite. She will often become invisible and teleport directly over your head, finishing with a lethal move. You can counter this by watching for a puff of fog where she lands behind you or listening for her footsteps. You can walk up and interrupt her invisibility spell. Her attacks can be easily interrupted and she is also vulnerable to backstabbing. When this phase is complete, the next two are incredibly difficult.
A cutscene will indicate the start of the second phase, at which point Ariandel joins the fight. The NPC you summoned prior to the fight will appear at this point and will assist you. Let your companion occupy Friede while you shift your attention to Ariandel. You can hit him from behind, but be wary of his powerful attacks. Evenutally he will become staggered and open for a critical attack. During this phase both bosses share the same health bar, but attacking Father Ariandel makes the health bar deplete much more quickly.
In this final phase of the fight, Sister Friede will become Blackflame Friede will begin to deal dark damage in addition to her frost and melee abilities now augmented with increased speed. Be wary of standing next to her as she comes back to life. She will begin to mix in a dark beam as well as a charged dark explosion that both deal a tremendous amount of damage. She will occasionally also take to the air and attempt a devastating attack from above. To defeat her keep your melee distance and dodge her magical attacks to the left and right, dodge far to the left to avoid her dark charged explosion. When she slows down take advantage of the window to get some attacks in and then retreat. Repeat this process of evasion and attack until she is defeated.
Strategy 2 (Melee + Lightning Blade, Solo)For Stage 1: Try to be aggressive when she teleports so you can cancel her attack as it's very powerful and can almost one shot the player.
For Stage 2: Leave Friede alone and go after Ariandel. Attack him from the back or the sides while being wary of his attacks and AOE smash. Roll through Friede's ice attacks. Ariandel may or may not be ripostable but he should go down fairly quickly.
For Stage 3: Play more passive while you understand Friede's attacks. Most have a wide or long AOE and do massive damage. There is a slight delay between the scythe swings, giving you a chance to attack and break her poise.
Strategy 3 [Melee - Bleed build, Solo]
Before fight: Find, equip and upgrade Warden Twinblades (or any weapon, that by default can cause Blood Loss and can be buffed) and buy at least 20 Carthus Rouge (in case you fail to beat the boss on first run - average run with final phase requires up to 4-5 Carthus Rouges). While choosing the rest of your set (shield is not necessary) try to increase fire and frost resistance as much as possible, but do not forget about agility and physical defense. Just before the fight use Carthus Rouge and reapply during break in fight or at beginning of phase.
1st phase: You will face only Sister Friede, an easily staggered boss on whom critical attacks can be deadly. During her invisibility run across the room and after the sound jump in opposite direction of her attack (hard, but possible to avoid). Attack after her attacks - every three to four hits you will trigger the bleed damage, on NG+3 this was around 1000 damage.
2nd phase: Instead of fighting Friede focus on Ariandel because he seems to be more vulnerable to bleed than Friede, but keep in mind that the combination of Friede's frost attack and Ariandel's bowl stomp is usually deadly. The most suitable moment for attacking is after Ariandel's rush. Dodge and then simply run to him and strike mulitple times (On NG+3 his rush can easily deal 4500 damage). When Friede uses her healing spell you don't have to interrupt her, as simply attacking Ariandel will negate the spell effect (as well as lowering the total amount of HP). Just keep in mind to avoid Ariandel's attacks, because no matter what armor you use they will propably deliver a lot of damage, if not a fatal blow.
3rd phase: DON'T RUSH TOWARDS HER during her transformation (her HP will replenish and you will take some fire damage). Use that moment to heal or use Carthus Rouge. In this phase she is WAY more dangerous than in the first or second phase. The best opportunity to attack her is after the massive dark flame AoE attack that uses some kind of upgraded Dark Serpent. A few succesful hits will deal massive bleed damage.
Strategy 4 (Sorcery, Solo)
Equipment: Court Sorcerer's Staff +10, Magic Clutch Ring, Bellowing and Young Dragoncrest Ring, Sage Ring (+1/+2). Scholar's Candlestick in offhand for sorcery boost. A fast weapon like a straightsword is also helpful for flushing her out when she turns invisible.
Armor: Crown of Dusk, rest of Northern Armor Set
Estus: 11 orange/4 blue
With this loadout and 99 INT, I was doing around 600 per hit with GHSA. This spell is your bread and butter for this fight since there is so much HP to burn through, and it also staggers her reliably.
First phase: Just try to keep your distance constantly as she attacks, avoiding corners and the ends of the room. I like to save up stamina to full or almost full before firing off a volley of spells, as opposed to hammering R1 when you have minimal stamina. When she turns invisible, jog up and down the length of the room, reversing course occasionally to confound her aim. Or, if you happened to see the direction she went, (sometimes you can catch a glimpse of her as she flies past) run after her and hit her with your weapon to stagger her out of the assassination attack.
Second phase: Other than her exploding ice patches, you can ignore Friede almost entirely as long as you stay away from her. Focus fire on Ariandel from a distance, which will probably cause him to use his bowl slam to drag himself toward you. The thing about this attack is he can't easily turn once he commits to a direction. Right after he slams his bowl into the ground near you, roll/run behind him, and you should get a ton of free hits as he careens past. This phase should be a gimme as you can burn down Ariandel quickly with sorcery.
Third phase: During her resurrection animation, Friede will prop her scythe on the ground to pull herself to her feet. Don't stand too close, but right at this moment, you should be able to lock on to her and get 2 or 3 free shots before she starts attacking. This phase comes down to staying away from Friede while effectively dodging her ranged attacks. Her black flame tornado followed by shooting a flame snake got me a few times, but you can avoid it just by locking onto her and strafing sideways. When she goes invisible, avoid her exploding ice patches and wait for her to reappear, watching out for her black flame snake. You can sometimes interrupt her combos with sorcery, but I found it to be more reliable to hit her at the end of her combos, as she sometimes punishes your casting by firing a black flame snake that will hit you during your spell animation. Just back/roll away from her constantly while waiting for an opening.
Strategy 5 (Backstabbing Pyromancer, Solo)
Equipment: Rings boosting fire damage and Ring of Favor, 5 Estus and 7 Ashen Estus, Armor & Weapons: Brass Set, Chaos Mail Breaker +10 (right hand), Pyromancy Flame +10 (left hand), Spell: Chaos Bed Vestige
Pyromancer using this spell with 32 Intelligence and 32 Faith will deal high damage with Chaos Bed Vestige - around 700 in case of Friede and even 1,000 or more to Ariandel. Mail Breaker is a must to break dangerous Friede attacks or backstabb her (backstabb may deal up to 700 damage).
1st phase: Try to limit attacks to moments, where Friede is preparing to strike - otherwise, you risk, that Friede will evade spell or receive minor damage. If you play carefully, Friede will be downed pretty fast.
2nd phase: Dont focus on Friede (but watch for her attacks with AoE, or when she starts to heal), but attack Ariandel and - when he has a cooldown or stationary attacks like Fire Breath (of course, if you are not risked of getting hit) spam him with CBV, as he is very weak to fire. In case Friede starts to heal hit her with CBV to break down the spell or backstabb her.
3rd phase: Watch out for attacks, and attack during cooldowns or to break some of her actions. Mail Breaker is useful to backstabb or stun her.
Sister Friede has two attack phases.
|First Phase (1st and 2nd battle phase)|
|Critical Scythe Attack||Friede turns invinsible and jumps across the arena (if you are close to her, invinsibility is turned off). After a few seconds there is a sound and she performs a swift attack (which can be broken, if player attacks her before she moves to perform visceral attack), in which she grabs the player with her scythe and throws them beneath her. Deals high damage, but with good timing can be avoided. If player is not good at timing, he can either hit Friede with kukri/arrow, which are visible even if boss is invisible or poison her. Sorcerers can also use homing spells.|
|Jump + Freezing||Friede jumps in air and tries to land on player. After landing a circle of ice appears, which explodes after a second dealing serious frost damage.|
|Freeze Jump||Friede freeze arena directly in front of her, then jumps on player dealing both frost and psychical damage and causes ice path to explode. If she lands far from that path, it gives a good opportunity to perform backstab attack.|
|Freeze attack||Sister Friede frezees the ground in front of her at medium range, in a triangle-like shape. Walking on it causes frost damage. After a few second it explodes and causes massive frost damage. Can be avoided with ease.|
|Scythe Swings||Friede swings three times, dealing both physical and magic damage. Can cause Frostbite effect. Simply roll away from her.|
|Scythe Swing + Jump||Friede attacks with her scythe and jumps back to avoid being hit.|
|Healing (2nd battle phase)||Friede, after a short preparation, restores some of the hp lost during the battle. Hit her with any weapon to break the spell.|
Second Phase (3rd battle phase) - In this phase Friede uses Dark Pyromancy and is labeled as Darkflame Friede. She uses a few attacks from her first phase, but they are now more powerful.
|Second Phase (3rd battle phase)|
|Blackflame flying smash + homing snake||Often the first move she does in phase three. Friede goes up with black fireworks, comes down with a smashing AoE and a homing flame snake. Keep running left or right and after the first smash part, run behind her and backstab.|
|Two invisible ice waves + big blackflame snake||The first ice wave lets you know where she is and the second ice wave lets you know if she is going left or right. If the second ice wave attack happens left from the place she did the first one, she jumps left again and will be helplessly charging the blackflame snake somewhere left, providing an easy backstab opportunity.|
|Fast dash to decapitating grab||While in medium distance from you, Friede's blue scythe flashes and she dashes towards you, grabbing you in a guillotine attack. Dodge the grab a little left and towards her to end up behind her for the backstab.|
|Long combo to small jumping smash||Friede starts with a small jump and keeps swinging multiple times until she finishes with a small and fast jumping smash. Dodge the last move towards her and go for the backstab if you can.|
|Scyte grab + Hit||Blackflame Friede tries to bring player closer with her scyte, then she swiftly attack dealing both Fire and Physical damage. Rolling from her is a good strategy to avoid damage.|
|Quick healing||Very rarely, Blackflame Friede may restore some healthpoints.|
Father Ariandel - Second Battle phase Only
|First Phase (Second Battle Phase)|
|Fire Breath||Ariandel slowly lifts his huge bowl to his face and is blowing on it for a few seconds, what releases a huge flame. Inflict huge fire damage, but with good timing player can avoid this flame and perform counter-attack.|
|Bowl Stomp||Ariandel attacks the ground right before him with bowl up to 3 times. Deals high physical damage, but can be avoided.|
|Fire Bowl Stomp||Ariandel attacks the ground right before him with his bowl 3 times - first two attacks deal pure psychical damage, third one causes a massive explosion, which inflict fire damage. Attacks are telegraphed, so player can avoid them with ease.|
|Rush||Ariandel rushes towards the player and attacks with his huge bowl. Attack deals pretty high physical damage, but can be avoided. After that attack, Father Ariandel needs to stop for a few seconds.|
|Lava Rain||Ariandel tilts his bowl, which causes a huge pool of fire to appear around him (the pool doubles its size in a few seconds). Deals massive fire damage.|
|Bowl Swing||Ariandel swing his bowl, dealing high physical damage|
Player approaching Father Ariandel, before first fight
(Ariandel): I see flame. Flame, flickering, once again. Not enough blood yet shed. My flail.... Bring me my flail. Ahh, Friede. What stops thine ears? Please, my flail, right away...
Cutscene dialogue, before fight (needs to be triggered by approaching Ariandel and choosing option "Talk")
(Ariandel): Ahh, oh. Bring Friede to me, please. Canst thou not see? The flame, flickering once again. Soon it will surge. I can see it, feel it...
(Friede appears, this time as boss)
(Friede): Fret no father, we have no need of thy flail. Tis only the flame, quivering at misguided Ash. Please avert thine eyes. I will snuff out these ashes for good.
Dialogue, after second phase
(Ariandel): When the Ashes are two, a flame alighteth. Thou'rt Ash, and fire befits thee, of course...
Player is not a Lord of Londor
Dialogue, first phase, player dies
(Friede): Return from whence thou cam'st
For that is thy place of belonging.
Dialogue, second/third phase, player dies
(Friede):Leave us be, Ashen One.
Sweep all thought of us from thy mind. As thy kind always have.
Player is a Lord of Londor
Dialogue, first phase, player dies
(Friede):Return from whence thou cam'st
Yuria surely awaits thee.
Dialogue, second/third phase, player dies
(Friede): Leave us be, Ashen One.
Thou art the Lord of Londor and have thine own subjects to guide.
Player completed Lord of Hollow ending, but not started next NG Cycle
Dialogue, player dies
(Friede): Return Lord of Londor. You have your own subjects to attain to.
Lore TheoriesThe eldest of three sisters: Friede, Yuria and Liliane are founders of the Sable Church of Londor..
Notes & Trivia
- If player approaches the statue which covers the boss room before opening it up, he can hear sound coming from the room. It is Father Ariandel smacking himself with a Rose of Ariandel. Strangely, near Ariandel there is no flail he may hit himself with, and when player enters boss fight arena for the first time, he asks to bring him one.
- However, in Ashes of Ariandel trailer, player can spot a flail he may use.
- Father Ariandel will mostly go for the player, which attacked Friede last.
- Father Ariandel has green skin, similar to Hollow players in Dark Souls II.
- Gael's summon for this battle does not count as regular summon. Therefore, player can still summon up to 3 player phantoms.
- Weapon used by Father Ariandel bear some simialirities to Lordvessel from Dark Souls I.