Vordt of the Boreal Valley Information
- This boss fight is not optional: he must be defeated in order to be able to progress to the Undead Settlement.
- Known Summons - Sword Master (must be defeated outside Firelink) & Lion Knight Albert (if Emma is alive).
- Vordt is encountered at the bottom of High Wall of Lothric, guarding the transition zone to the Undead Settlement.
- Souls: NG (3000), NG+ (15,000), NG++ (16,500), NG+3 (16875),NG+4 (18,000), NG+6 (??), NG+9 (19,125)
- Co-Op Souls: NG (750), NG+ (3750)
- Soul of Boreal Valley Vordt
- Health: NG (1328), NG+ (4146), NG++ (4560), NG+3 (4768), NG+4 (4975), NG+5 (5389), NG+6 (5597), NG+7 (5804)
- Absorptions: 35% Standard, 18% Strike, 38% Slash, 38% Thrust, 24% Magic, 18% Fire, 15% Lightning, -27% Dark, 102 Defense
- Deals Standard Damage and Strike Damage. Inflicts Frostbite on player.
- Weak to Dark Damage.
- Resistant to Physical-type damage, except Strike.
- Immune to Bleed, Poison/Toxic and Frostbite.
- Dealing heavy damage to his head while he charges his frost breath in his second phase will stagger and open him for a riposte.
Only Youtube Partners can place videos. Embeds from FL channel only - please add your link below if you're a partner
Strategy 1 (Melee)
The best way to fight Vordt as a melee build is to stay close to him and roll through his attacks and get underneath him. A very good weapon to use is the Deep Battle Axe you can find in the room below the Lothric Wyvern, since almost every starting class can wield this weapon in two-hands effectively. The first phase is relatively easy by staying underneath and behind Vordt as much as possible. Attack after his second wide swipe attack and never stand in front of Vordt as he has a very fast lunge attack that is near impossible to dodge. If you find yourself in front of him close the gap as fast as possible while moving to his left.
When Vordt reaches his second phase (at about half health), he will start doing a charge attack back and forth. You should leave yourself with some stamina to roll if you know your sequence of attacks is going to reduce Vordt to half health. Your best option is to dodge these charges while locked on to always keep him in your sights, he will usually charge three times. After these charges, he will begin to ready his breath attack, and this is when you should close the distance and go to his left and use a charged two-handed power attack.
Staying beneath him is still ideal, but will not make you invulnerable like in the First Phase, so watch out for him standing up and other attacks.
|Attack Name||Attack Description & Counter|
|Thrust||A quick mace jab, it's much faster than his normal pace. Avoid the front, dodge to the side, then counter.|
|Strike||A vertical blow that smashes foes in front of him. Dodge to the side, then attack.|
|Slash||Slashes its large mace in a sideways motion at the player, can be dodged. Dodge towards it as he readies his blow/dodge under the strike, then score some hits.|
|Buff||At half health, roars and buffs itself with some sort of blue effect. Begins to use ice breath attack, and may only use charge attack after doing this. Score free hits, and wail, preferably near his rear. Prepare to dodge if he faces you or attacks.|
|Charge||Charges in a straight line at the player, then does a turn and charges again. Charges 3-4 times. Stay mobile, ready rolling, score a hit at his feet once he stops (doesn't quickly face you)|
|Ice breath||Breaths an icy haze in a long arc in front of him, like other enemies' fire breath. Has a short charge-up, allowing for the player to get behind him and avoid the attack entirely. Since update 1.04, Vordt has been nerfed and cannot be staggered out of his Ice breath. Players are allowed to attack him freely during the entire animation. Rush nearer his back, for more safety.|
- It is written that Boreal Knights devolve to beast-like forms due to the effects of Pontiff Sulyvahn's rings (in his case, the Left Eye) - it seems that Vordt is further along in this process than the other Outrider Knights met in the game.
- Emma refers to Vordt as a "dog".
- Vordt using ice/frost in comparison to the Dancer using fire could symbolize that the Dancer chose the path of the Pontiff, while the other Outrider Knights chose the path of frost.
- Because of Vordt's large body shape, it can be assumed that he is at a higher rank in the Outrider Knights
Notes & Trivia
- Due to Vordt's weakness to Dark, Deep Battle Axe found from the Mimic underneath the High Wall Wyvern a good weapon choice.
- The middle Dutch word "vorst" cognates with the English word frost. This could be a possible origin for Vordt's name, as he is an ice themed boss.
- Vordt can be related to insane Guts in Berseker Armor.