Halflight, Spear of the Church
|3,350||80,000||The Ringed City|
Titanite Slab (once per NG cycle)
Halflight: Frost, Lightning
Guardian: Fire, Frost, Lightning, Vow of Silence
Halflight: Bleed, Poison/Toxic
Guardian: Bleed, Poison/Toxic
Halflight, Spear of the Church Information
- You can summon Unbreakable Patches for this fight if you have completed Lapp's questline.
- Judicator Argo will summon players in the Spears of the Church as the Boss or Halflight if offline or there are no players available to summon.
- Optional - must be defeated in order to reach Filianore and complete the DLC, but like all of the DLC bosses, is not necessary to complete the main game.
- When playing online, this boss is replaced with another player, who presumably has the Spear of the Church Covenant equipped, although this is not always the case. In some instances, this boss fight can summon players that are actively attempting to invade another's world, which probably occurs when there aren't enough players playing with the Spear of the Church covenant equipped. An alternate theory is that the boss fight prioritizes Spear of the Church players, but really only looks for a player that is performing an action that would enable them to damage and kill a host, such as placing a white summon sign while using the Mound-makers covenant, as experienced by user Stephetheon.
- Halflight, Spear of the Church is found in The Ringed City, inside the church down the Ringed Inner Wall bonfire shortcut.
- After beating this boss, the player can use souls to revive Argo and repeat this fight. He can do it at the Velka's Statue or Purging Monument. See Show Your Humanity, how to reach Purging Monument. Note: Step connected with Velka's Statue can be achieved without finding Purging Monument.
- Souls: NG (80,000), NG+ (??), NG++ (??), NG+3 (??), NG+4 (??), NG+6 (??), NG+9 (??)
- Co-Op Souls: NG (20 000).
- Other: Filianore's Spear Ornament, Titanite Slab (once per NG cycle)
- Health: NG (3,350), NG+ (??), NG++ (??), NG+3 (??), NG+4 (??), NG+5 (??), NG+6 (??), NG+7 (??)
- Church Guardian attacks deals Slash or Magic damage. May also cause bleeding.
- In offline mode, Halflight uses the Frayed Blade, White Birch Bow (RH), and the Knight Shield (LH) and wears the Antiquated Plain Set
- Halflight attacks deal Slash, Thrust, Dark, Magic, or Lightning damage. May also cause bleeding.
- Halflight is weak to Frost and Lightning.
- Halflight and Church Guardians are resistant to Bleed and Poison/Toxic.
- Church Guardian is weak to Fire, Frost and Lightning. Vow of Silence is also effective, as it blocks healing miracles.
- First Church Guardian appears shortly before Spear of the Church, second when his health is lowered by half. Shortly after killing Spear of the Church, the remaining Church Guardians die.
Only Youtube Partners can place videos. Embeds from FL channel only - please add your link below if you're a partner
Strategy 1 (Melee)
Below is a playbook that will provide a checklist of things that need to be done in order for the fight to be successful. Other methods are possible, but with this particular method provided, it frames the fight in the proper way that can be executed with almost any weapon.
- Get the church door open. When you approach it at a certain angle, after getting the necessary item to approach the door, near the Ringed Knight. It's not necessary to bother with him, as he can be avoided without damage, so if you feel the need to kill him every single time you run for the church, you are mistaken. Remember this: summoning phantoms makes this fight significantly more difficult. The Spear of the Church gains lots of extra health and passive poise (think Dark Souls One poise) for each phantom you summon, including Lapp. If you choose to call for help, be wary.
- Ignore Judicator Argo. He will not attack unless provoked and will die on his own once he's finished summoning a Spear. Instead, watch for the first Guardian and prepare to ambush him as he spawns in. When the Guardian is finished standing up, attack him. He will not have poise, and his weapon is very small, meaning it's simple to just mash r1 to wipe him out in a short period of time. Try to drop him before the Spear can arrive.
- Halflight has arrived. If you haven't finished off the Guardian yet, it's best to concentrate your efforts on him, as his health should be low, and he will cast healing miracles to revitalize the Spear if left alone for too long. While doing this, keep him between you and Halflight, as it's important to keep your eyes on the Spear in case he draws his bow, uses the shockwave katana attack that covers a decent distance, or uses his Divine Spear Fragment to attack from afar. These ranged attacks are the greatest threat, as the Guardian has few methods of attack that can get past a bit of r1 spam. You can also use the pillars in the room to attract the Guardian and fight him behind cover, safe from Halflight's ranged attacks. Finish the Guardian, and turn your attention to the Spear.
- Halflight is pretty simple as far as NPC AI goes. If he's running at you, he's going to do a running attack with his katana. If you're in his range, he'll attack randomly with quick katana attacks. If you get too far away, he'll shoot arrows at you with his bow. At times, he'll use his Divine Spear Fragment to summon a wall of spears, which is easily dodged simply by strafing left or right. It will also give him a few moments of passive poise, so wait for the glow that appears around him to subside before attacking.
- The best strategy that any weapon can employ against Halflight is this: let him walk into your range, and then just hit him. This will work like a charm, as his lack of poise and range mean you won't need to worry about his attacks. Just make sure he isn't using his shield, because he is an NPC, and has a chance to read your input and parry you effortlessly if you're using a weapon that can be parried. Avoid this by using a weapon that can't be parried, such as a two-handed ultra greatsword or greathammer, or by using attacks that can't be parried, such as certain weapon arts and the jumping attack. You could also just wait for him to put the shield up and two-hand his katana.
- Should Halflight manage to hit you, you'll notice that he has much more attack power than a katana user has any right to have. Keep your cool, roll away from him (not towards him or to his side), and make sure he isn't using the weapon art shockwave to chase you down. Then heal in safety, as Halflight usually won't press his advantage. Once you've whittled his health down, phase two will begin, and a second Painting Guardian will spawn in the middle of the arena.
- This is the hard part. The main challenge here will be to pay attention to both of your adversaries at once. It's best to focus your efforts on the Guardian again, as damaging Halflight is a slow and steady process in which the Guardian will have plenty of time to cast healing miracles. Just as before, keep both targets in your line of sight at all times, and pay close attention to Halflight's ranged attacks. If the Guardian manages to get a heal off, it's no big deal. Prioritize your survival above all else, as once the Guardian is down, Halflight will be unable to heal.
- If you've made it this far, Halflight's backup is dead, and the fight is almost over. Don't get cocky, take it slow, don't get parried, and you'll be victorious. Good luck.
Strategy 2 (Magic/Pyromancy)
A strategy is to be provided here, be sure to add any equipment/build requirements and tips and tricks.
Halflight, Spear of the Church has 2 attack phases. In the first phase, Church Guardian appears, shortly after that moment Spear of Church. When his/her hp is lowered by half, another Church Guardian appears.
|Swift Sword attack (Guardian)||Guardian uses his sword a few times, dealing physical damage. Then jumps back to avoid retaliation.|
|Knife throwing (Guardian)||Guardian throws few knives dealing magical damage.|
|Healing (Guardian)||Guardian kneels and uses a healing spell that restores health in a small area.|
|Homing Knives (Halflight/Phantom)||Skill similar to spell Homing Crystal Mass. However, instead of magic projectiles, there are knives. Deals low magic damage, but can break attack.|
|Swift Sword attack (Halflight)||Sheathes their katana, then unleashes a flurry of swings.|
|Dark Wave (Halflight)||Sheathes their katana, then brings the katana down to release a wave of dark.|
|Jump attack (Halflight)||Halflight performs a katana running jump attack.|
|Bow attack (Haflight)||Halflight uses a bow and attacks from distance.|
|Ritual Spear attack (Halflight/Phantom)||Spear of the Church uses Ritual/Divine Spear fragment - acts similar to Black Serpent Spell. Such "serpent" stays for a few seconds acting similar to "wall". Deals high lightning damage.|
Halflight was the youngest among a company of missionaries that sent to the Ringed City from a land of magic far far away. When all of his fellow missionaries have fled the city after facing the horrors that hidden within the depth of the streets. The young sorcerer decided to stay behind and eventually becoming the last recorded Spear of The Church to serve as the last line of defense for the slumber of princess Fillianore.
Notes & Trivia
- Halflight is one of few bosses in the series that is capable of parrying and riposting player.
- This is one of the fights in the Dark Souls series, the other being the Old Monk boss fight in Demon's Souls, where a regular player is intended to serve as the boss.
- The Spear of The Church boss fight, and therefore, Halflight, Spear of the Church, is the only boss fight in Dark Souls III that can be reset without beginning the next NG cycle.
- Halflight is the offline Boss but can appear online if either the Spear of the Church isn't summoned on time or leave the fight.
- Players summoned as Boss can't use normal Estus, but can use healing miracles, abilities, and equipment as well as ashen estus.
- This boss resembles the "Old Monk" fight from Demon's Souls, consisting of a player being summoned in with altered stats to serve as the boss, with homing soul masses periodically being summoned around them.
- As in the case of the Ancient Wyvern boss fight, there is no corresponding bonfire. Instead, shortly after leaving the boss fight arena, near the double staircase, there is a bonfire "Fillanore's Church".