Lost sorcery from Oolacile, land of ancient golden sorceries. Transforms into something inconspicuous.
Far from formally developed, this magic was instead born from the mischief of a young girl who sought relief from the solitude of the woods at dusk.
- Dropped by: the Pilgrim from Londor, encountered in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, either when killed or when she dies from fulfilling her quest.
- The appearance of this pilgrim is reliant upon doing either of Anri of Astora's quests.
- The Pilgrim first appears in the Church of Yorshka bonfire room in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley. She is in a corner disguised as a statue amongst a group of other statues. Hitting the statue will reveal the pilgrim, allowing you to talk to her. Kicking or pushing will also reveal the pilgrim.
- If you are doing Anri's "Slayer of Aldrich" ending, then you must kill the pilgrim here, or she will kill Anri.
- She will drop the spell upon death.
- If you do not kill her in the church she will kill Anri, but the spell can later be found on her corpse at the entrance to the Darkmoon Tomb, located behind the illusory Lord Gwyn statue.
- If you are doing the "Lord of Hollows" / "Usurpation of Fire" ending, she must be left alive, she'll drop the spell in the next encounter.
- Note that killing the pilgrim will put you on bad terms with Yuria of Londor, causing her quest to fail as she leaves Firelink, so be careful if you only want to talk to the pilgrim.
- After doing the questlines and using the Sword of Avowal, head back to the Darkmoon Tomb entrance. The NPC that you obtained it from will lie there dead, dropping the Chameleon spell without having to kill her.
- Casting Chameleon will turn you into an inanimate object, for example, a statue or a wooden box, and most enemies are unable to detect you as long as you stay completely still.
- If cast while an enemy sees you, it takes about 5 seconds before they lose aggro and ignores you again. The same applies if you are caught moving and go back to staying still.
- The duration is unlimited. You can move at walking speed, but the spell is broken if you roll, attack, use an item or get hit.
- For PvP it's often used for hiding from invaders, although the lighting on the object is usually a bit off so experienced players can see that the object doesn't fit in.
- It will also make opposing players unable to lock-on, which can disrupt their playing style, forcing them to play unlocked or lose their targeting while casting.
- The Vow of Silence miracle can be used to spot players hidden by Chameleon, since it will make an aura around any living creature within its AoE. (needs confirmation)
- The Young White Branch is a consumable item with the same effect as Chameleon.
- Acquiring the sorcery is dependent on two quest lines, Anri's and Yuria's. Killing Yuria before Anri leaves the Church of Yorshka bonfire room while also missing the assassin will result in the corpse being unable to appear, as the assassin leaves the church when Anri leaves. The corpse that appears behind the illusory wall near Anor Londo seems to appear when Yuria is talked to after Anri leaves the Church of Yorschka bonfire, when the assassin has also not been killed.
- Using Chameleon in the swamp of the Ringed City, there is a chance that you will turn into a Humanity Phantom. This allows you to lower the ladder that leads to the purging monument.