Ember is a Multiplayer Item and a consumable in Dark Souls 3.
In order to summon other players, an Ember must be used to obtain the power of the Lord of Cinder. It is the equivalent of Humanity or Human Effigy in other Souls games. Using an Ember allows one to become a multiplayer host. When in Enkindled mode, the character's appearance will change, and the following effects will be available until death:
- Maximum HP boosted by 30%.
- Able to summon other players via soul sign
- Able to be invaded by other players
- Icons next to gauges change
- 9x sold by Shrine Handmaid for 2,500 souls each.
- 2x sold by the Shrine Handmaid in Untended Graves for 2,500 souls each.
- 7x sold by Greirat of the Undead Settlement for 2,000 souls each.
- 3x sold after freeing him.
- 4x added to his stock after sending him to pillage Irithyll.
- 6x are also added to the Shrine Handmaid's stock after Greirat's failed pillage trip to Lothric, when you give her his ashes.
- Rarely dropped by Black Knights.
- Commonly dropped by Lothric Knights in High Wall of Lothric & Lothric Castle.
- Dropped by Carthus Swordsman.
- Dropped by Ringed Knights (The Ringed City DLC)
- Embers can also be dropped by red-eyed enemies. However these enemies are often much stronger than their normal counterparts, assumedly to make farming embers more challenging.
- 2x at Cemetery of Ash:
- 5x at High Wall of Lothric:
- 2x guaranteed drop from the two Pus of Man enemies, 1 from each, after they transform.
- 1x on a body in front of the unlocked tower entrance, underneath the fire breathing dragon.
- 2x near the fountain and the dead remains of Lothric Knights, in the area where you fight the Winged Knight. (video location).
- 5x at Undead Settlement:
- 1x on a small hill behind the burning tree with worshipping undead crowd (video location).
- 1x in front of the white birch tree in the graveyard ahead of the Dilappidated Bridge bonfire.
- 1x near a dog at the bottom of the stairs that leasds to the Curse-Rotted Greatwood shortcut.
- 1x on the small stone bridge next to the sewer entrance, beneath the Cliff Underside bonfire.
- 1x at the very bottom of the tower, in the room you encounter the Boreal Outrider Knight.
- 2x at Road of Sacrifices:
- 4x at Cathedral of the Deep:
- 1x outside near the first unlocked cathedral entrance, in front of a crowd of worshippers.
- 1x up a ladder on a balcony above the first giant, behind a crossbow sniper.
- 1x in the room with the Deep Accursed ambush.
- 1x on a balcony above the giants, behind some worship benches, near the boss entrance.
- 4x at Farron Keep:
- 3x at Catacombs of Carthus:
- 1x on a corpse in the middle of the staircase with the rolling Skeleton Ball. (video location).
- 1x on a corpse in a room to the left of the second skeleton ball is, guarded by 2 shotel-wielding skeletons. It is behind a hole in the floor that leads down to some wheel skeletons. (video location).
- 1x on a corpse near the barred gate, in the room Knight Slayer Tsorig invades. It is after the room with the giant rats / bonewheel enemies, under the second bonfire (video location).
- 4x at Smouldering Lake:
- 1x on a corpse against the fence, straight ahead of the entrance, in the first room you get to after the Demon Ruins bonfire. (video location)
- 1x on a corpse at the end of a small one-way corridor below the Old King's Antechamber bonfire. (video location)
- 1x on a corpse reached through an illusory wall next to Old King’s Antechamber bonfire. In the corridor behind the wall, head left, and then jump over the hole behind the Estus Shard to reach it. (video location)
- 1x in the lava pit where the Sacred Flame pyromancy is located, beneath the black knight who's guarding the ladder to the balista.
- 5x at Irithyll of the Boreal Valley:
- 2x at Irithyll Dungeon: On 2 corpses on each side of the bridge support, in the middle of the room with all the patrolling Jailers.
- 1x at Profaned Capital: In a chest at the bottom of the staircase, outside the entrance to Yhorm the Giant.
- 0x at Anor Londo, 1x if Anri of Astora quest followed - drops from Aldrich, Devourer of Gods in Anri's world only.
- 0x at Consumed King's Garden.
- 0x at Untended Graves.
- 8x at Lothric Castle:
- 1x on a corpse right next to the Dragon Barracks bonfire.
- 1x on a corpse at the top of the first short staircase right beneath the dragons.
- 1x on a corpse hanging over the railing near the main portcullis, beneath the dragons.
- 1x on a corpse on the left side of the staircase inside the portcullis.
- 4x guaranteed? drops 2 from each of the "pus" that have infected the dragons.
- 1x at Grand Archives: On a corpse beside the Undead Bone Shard, inside the broken window after going through the gargoyle roof section.
- 4x at Archdragon Peak:
- 1x on a corpse right next to the Archdragon Peak bonfire.
- 2x on 2 corpses at the dead end on the right hand side stairs of the Ancient Wyvern.
- 1x on a corpse directly beneath the Great Belfry bonfire.
- Embers - in terms of effect - are a combination of Humanity from Dark Souls I and Human Effigies from Dark Souls II, but are most similar to Stones of Ephemeral Eyes from Demon's Souls
- A single ember is granted for every time the player successfully aids another in a critical battle. In addition, the player will becomes Enkindled if he is not already in this mode.
- The player enters Enkindled mode whenever he/she defeats an Heir of Fire (boss).
- If you invade another player while embered and succeed you will be rewarded with an ember in addition to the usual invasion reward.
- Lothric Castle first bonfire is the ideal farming location for Ember, as Lothric Knights there are extremely vulnerable to parrying, backstabbing and Great Chaos Fire Orb.
- Can be sold to Shrine Handmaid for 1000 souls, so it makes a decent earning if obtained during soul farming on Lothric Knights.