Cathedral Evangelist is an Enemy in Dark Souls 3.
- Commonly referred to as Evangelists, after the name of their armor set.
- Often mocks you or chant, even when not actively attacking.
- Casts Gnaw (slow, heavily homing insect swarm, minor damage with heavy bleed build-up) at range, but uses Immolation for a surprise hug at melee distance (grab, heavy fire damage).
- Mace and book attacks can be parried and followed up with a riposte.
- The color of the glow from her spellbook shows which spell is coming, pale yellow for the former and smoldering orange for the latter.
- Can swing a large mace and club people with her spellbook.
- The mace is very dangerous if it connects, but slow and leaves openings. The bible thump comes out much faster and is mostly used in self-defense to interrupt your combo.
- Best taken out at range - grapple attack often triggers during your combos, and mace has powerful knockdown/stamina effect.
- Evangelists have more poise than most enemies, raising the appeal of using heavy weapons in melee combat.
- One of the only enemies to call out their attacks with spoken words, as introduced in Bloodborne. Specifically the immolation hug, the rest is just mad cackling and mumbling.
- "Oh, child... [FWOOSH] ...come to me!"
- "I'll cleanse the- [FWOOSH] ...bastard's curse!"
Notes & Trivia
- Appearence of Cathedral Evangelists seems to be inspired by Mozgus from the Berserk series-- one of the Chief Inquisitors of the Holy See Religious Order, a religious fanatic who grealy emphasizes his religion in everything he does and acts with great zeal in his quest to purge the world of "heretics". In addition to that the appearence of the "Hollow Slaves" seems to be inspired by one of Mozgus desciples -- the Imp (smallest of the desciples with similar physique and mask).
- The Cathedral Evangelist bears a striking resemblance to the Fat Officials from Demon's Souls.
- Knocking her down very close to the player will occasionally knock down the player as well, dealing very little damage and causing a long wakeup animation.
- On her belt are several real-life torture implements, including a Pear of Anguish.
- The Evangelist in front of the big tree in Undead Settlement, where the Estus Shard is located, is praying with her hat off.
- The Evangelists are voiced by Clare Corbett, who also voiced many other characters in the Souls games, such as Saint Astraea, Gwynevere, Priscillia, and Alsanna.
|Cathedral of the Deep||
Blessed Gem (Rare)
|Irithyll of the Boreal Valley||800||Dorhys' Gnawing|