Relatively weak to Blunt (Strike), Magic & Lightning
Great Crab is an Enemy in Dark Souls 3.
- A giant enemy crab that mainly inhabits the swamp areas of Road of Sacrifices, Farron Keep, Smouldering Lake and Depths of the Painting.
- Uses its large pincer to attack the player.
- It can foam at the mouth and spray it at the player to do damage, as well as decrease movement speed. The ones in the Painted World of Ariandel spray frost instead.
- Weak point: When both claws are lifted into the air, the greenish egg sac area under the crab's mouth can be riposted for massive damage.
- Can be fooled with Alluring Skull, but is immune to Rapport.
- Can not be affected by Bleed, Painted World of Ariandel ones are Frost immune, the Farron Swamp on is Poison immune.
- Its poise can be broken, stunning it for about 2 seconds. A finisher move can be performed by standing at its back after its poise is broken. You may also perforn this while infront of it, near the greenish egg sac.
- Can still be blocked with relative ease, but beware its grab attack (see below).
- Its right claw will draw back slowly while its mouth foams, then attempt to grab you for major damage if it connects. It can not be blocked.
- Its left claw is actually faster and is better at comboing whereas its right claw does not drain more stamina and is easier to roll under.
- If at low health and if the player is a sufficient distance away from it, it will attempt to burrow below ground and escape. It will re-emerge with full health and be cured of status ailments if this occurs. So it can not be killed by attacking only with ranged abilities.
Notes & Trivia
- Quickstep can be used in deep water, allowing for easy dodging of its attacks.
- Can not be lured out of water. Once you step foot out of the swampy area, the crab will cease to follow you.
- Smashing smaller crabs can aggro them
- When it runs, it turns sideways and moves very fast.
- Although the crab will not target invaders inadvertantly, all of the Great Crab's attacks can harm all phantoms. This includes Watchdogs of Farron.
- One of the Great Crabs in Smouldering Lake, the one who walks back and forth near the breakable floor, is not hostile towards the player until provoked.
- The armless child protected by a powerful father relation between Great Crab and Lesser Crab can be a reference to Mushroom People in Dark Souls 1.
- Giant Enemy Crabs are well-known in gaming for having weakpoints that can be attacked for massive damage.
- Greater Crabs located in Painted World of Ariandel are the only creature that will respawn without refreshing whole area.
- Great Swamp Ring (only the one on the Road of Sacrifices, near the entance to the Black Knight)
- Titanite Shard
- Large Titanite Shard (rarely)
- Lingering Dragoncrest Ring (near the white birch near Farron Keep Ruins. The Giant archer can kill the crabs for you if you have befriended him back in Undead Settlement)
- Crystal Gem (by one of the crabs in the Depths of the Painting). Gem will be added to player's inventory after beating second Crab - this way can be obtained only once per NG cycle.