|Weakness||Its lever, cover, safe spots|
|Immune||Everything (except its lever)|
Giant Avelyn is an Enemy in Dark Souls 3.
Giant Avelyn Enemy Description
- A colossal ballista that aims to destroy all invaders of Smouldering Lake.
- Can be taken advantage of to kill the Giant Carthus Sandworm. There is a small outcropping of rocks on the side of the worm opposite the ballista. If you stand in the sweet spot (likely denoted by player notes if you are playing online), the ballista's bursts will continue to alternate between hitting the worm and the rock in front of you until the worm is dead.
- It is self-operated, as it continues to fire at you as you approach but with no external operator.
- Its name is a reference to Avelyn, a hand-held, rapid-firing triple crossbow that first appeared in Dark Souls 1. (Found in the Grand Archives, Dark Souls 3)
- If you stand near the sections of brick wall in the back of the level and bait the crossbow into firing at them, it will destroy them, allowing you access to an item behind one of them. The same tactic can be used to break open the lone section of tile floor on an island in the middle of the level. This gives you access to the underground catacomb portion of the level (and serves as a shortcut if you are unable to defeat or sprint past the Carthus Sandworm to get to the Demon Ruins bonfire.
Giant Avelyn Combat Information
- Always fires in bursts of 3
- At its base there are Skeleton Wheels, Grave Warden Skeletons, and Carthus Swordsmen Skeletons defending it.
- Can be shut down by turning the handle directly underneath it.
- Cannot be Rapported
- Cannot be parried
Giant Avelyn Notes & Trivia
- May have been installed or maintained by several now-dead giant slaves who appear next to it.
- If you forgot or didn't know about needing the ballista to shoot open the floor and/or the section of wall that holds the Speckled Stoneplate Ring, you can go back and reactivate the ballista if needed.
Giant Avelyn Variations
Join the page discussion Tired of anon posting? Register!