|Weakness||Its lever, cover, safe spots|
|Immune||Everything (except its lever)|
Giant Avelyn is an Enemy in Dark Souls 3.
Giant Avelyn Enemy Description
- A colossal ballista that aims to destroy all invaders of Smouldering Lake.
- Can be taken advantage of to kill the Giant Carthus Sandworm. There is a small outcropping of rocks on the side of the worm opposite the ballista. If you stand in the sweet spot (likely denoted by player notes if you are playing online), the ballista's bursts will continue to alternate between hitting the worm and the rock in front of you until the worm is dead.
- It is self-operated, as it continues to fire at you as you approach but with no external operator.
- Its name is a reference to Avelyn, a hand-held, rapid-firing triple crossbow that first appeared in Dark Souls 1. (Found in the Grand Archives, Dark Souls 3)
- If you stand near the sections of brick wall in the back of the level and bait the crossbow into firing at them, it will destroy them, allowing you access to an item behind one of them. The same tactic can be used to break open the lone section of tile floor on an island in the middle of the level. This gives you access to the underground catacomb portion of the level (and serves as a shortcut if you are unable to defeat or sprint past the Carthus Sandworm to get to the Demon Ruins bonfire.
Giant Avelyn Combat Information
- Always fires in bursts of 3
- At its base there are Skeleton Wheels, Grave Warden Skeletons, and Carthus Swordsmen Skeletons defending it.
- Can be shut down by turning the handle directly underneath it.
- Cannot be Rapported
- Cannot be parried
Giant Avelyn Notes & Trivia
- May have been installed or maintained by several now-dead giant slaves who appear next to it.
- If you forgot or didn't know about needing the ballista to shoot open the floor and/or the section of wall that holds the Speckled Stoneplate Ring, you can go back and reactivate the ballista if needed.
Giant Avelyn Variations
Join the page discussion Tired of anon posting? Register!
Missed opportunity to rip it off from there ans use it as an ultra crossbow once you leveled up strength to 99.
"but why would you level up str to 99?" read above you muppet.
"Weakness: it's lever"
a bit anti-climactic once you get up there and turn it off. was expecting a boss battle with a giant or atleast the ability to shoot the crabs or the worm myself.
Prepare your mortal eyes for my Ds3 randomizer all giant avelyn run
Imagine this thing shooting at the cathedral rafters
''Cannot be parried'' Confirmed. I tested with several types of shields but I still failed to parry those TOWER SIZED ARROWS.
Enemy type: tower
Giant Avelyn requires a giant operator, and a giant operator must have been born from a giant dad
One question that will never get an answer... how the hell did this thing get up there?
Shame there isn't a page dedicated to toxic spit statues in cathedral. There is no lever to deactivate them; only weakness is to avoid standing in front of it.
The fact that this an enemy is hilarious. Imagine having a hack where you can invade other players as a Giant Avelyn. "You are being invaded by Giant F***ing Turret" "What the hell?" *Big red ballista on wheels appears.* "No... NOOOOO!"
"Cannot be Rapported" Wow...
This kind of reminds of that arrow turret in Demon Souls. And this is its brother who is bigger and harder.
this ballista must be operated by a pro FPS player or something
But there sure as hell aint any way i'm gonna go through the trouble of turning that accursed ballista back on.
"cannot be rapported" why wont you love me giant turret WHY
If anyone's wondering, hidden body does NOT hide you from the ballista. I found it out in a painful way...
I just love this page because it reads like the author is really frustratedly trying to explain to the reader that the Giant Avelyn is, in fact, a turret. I think the part: "Immune: Everything (except its lever)" just sums up my point wonderfully. It's just a hilarious page and I will weep on the day someone changes this.
If only by some miracle, we could pick it up, equip it and hit stuff with it. I bet we wouldnt fit through the door, but we would be bad ass. I dont think we would roll at all, even at 99 vit w rings. On another note, would had been interesting if players could enter it and turret a boss. Not like the demon souls dragon fight where the turret is a cinematic, but a real thing we can aim with and can get hit off.