|Enemy Type||Undead Animal|
Starved Hound is an Enemy in Dark Souls 3.
Starved Hound Background
Relentless, rabid and fuelled by bloodlust, these hounds will avidly even chase their own shadow, stopping at nothing. Despite their thinly-graven figures, often lurking or just dimly shadowing the oblique steps of Lothric, they will shred the unwary Ashen to pieces until he or she is no more. When met in packs, starved hounds are opponents of considerable aggression, and will eagerly ambush to dire consequences.
These enemies are found in various locations throughout the game, often placed for an element of surprise. It is difficult to avoid them, particularly for new players, so it is advised to get some distance first as fighting them in packs is not recommended. Their strength lies in numbers, and fighting them singly should be somewhat easier despite their speed.
Starved Hound Combat Information
- Most commonly pounces on the player, covering some distance, and bites.
- At times, will just stand still and bark at the player.
- The maggot belly dogs has a poisonous vomit, as well as a grab attack. You can break free from the grab by mashing R1/L1.
- Can easily stun-lock a player without a shield and low poise. Repeating attacks cause large amounts of damage
- They are very easily knocked away. As this can make it more difficult to kill them it is advised to use lighter weapons.
- Very susceptible to fire damage, writhes when attacked by it.
- Can be drawn by an Alluring Skull.
- Immune to Rapport
There is a chance that if you get far enough, they will teleport near the player, making it almost impossible to run from them.
Starved Hound Notes & Trivia
- There are 3 skins: regular, shot full of arrows, maggot belly.
- The maggot belly variant is only found in a small cave in between the first and second Road of Sacrifices bonfires. This variant is the only one with a grab attack.
- The Irithyllian Beast-hound is another type of dog that can also inflict frostbite.
- They have a tendency to launch themselves at you with full commitment, which can end up with hilariously catastrophic results. (i.e. being sidestepped, while they end up diving head first off the nearest cliff.)
Starved Hound Variations & Locations
These enemies appear in the following locations, and will yield the following amounts of souls:
|Cemetery of Ash||110||10||None|
|Cathedral of the Deep||211||80||None|
|High Wall of Lothric (small)||122||20||None|
|High Wall of Lothric (large)||147||40||None|
|Undead Settlement (small)||139||20||None|
|Undead Settlement (large)||167||40||None|
|Road of Sacrifices (small)||204||80||None|
|Road of Sacrifices (infested)||272||80||None|